msc

The 2019 Deathlist Cup

I think I see where I faltered down the stretch :banghead:

DI suggested a clearing up of allowable supercentarians before a fight breaks out. So here's the exhaustive list of folk who are just really old, but allowed due to being one of the staple foods of historic deadpooling:

Folk notable for things other than being old. Alexander Imich or that Sri Sri guy.

The "oldest living X" - so Harry Patch, for example. But be sensible, this is not for the Oldest Living Farmer in Fuckity Cares, Texas.

World's oldest top 20, verified. No 160 year old con men from Bolivia.

Oldest 5 living men AND women from the UK and US.

That should cover all the notables or press covered folk.

As for what constitutes FFBI, ask yourself one question: are they notable for any reason other than illness? Not necessarily to yourself (look how many stars get "who?" responses on this forum!) but to anyone.

6 minutes ago, msc said:

DI suggested a clearing up of allowable supercentarians before a fight breaks out. So here's the exhaustive list of folk who are just really old, but allowed due to being one of the staple foods of historic deadpooling:

Folk notable for things other than being old. Alexander Imich or that Sri Sri guy.

The "oldest living X" - so Harry Patch, for example. But be sensible, this is not for the Oldest Living Farmer in Fuckity Cares, Texas.

World's oldest top 20, verified. No 160 year old con men from Bolivia.

Oldest 5 living men AND women from the UK and US.

That should cover all the notables or press covered folk.

As for what constitutes FFBI, ask yourself one question: are they notable for any reason other than illness? Not necessarily to yourself (look how many stars get "who?" responses on this forum!) but to anyone.

I think I scored a hit with Tajima, but I say let people put as many as they like.  Odds are against them dying and the tie-breaker will scare people away from the 100+ crowd anyway.  My Dr David Goodall (104)  hit was virtually worthless until Ted Dabney capitulated at the last minute.

SC

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I think I scored a hit with Tajima, but I say let people put as many as they like.  Odds are against them dying and the tie-breaker will scare people away from the 100+ crowd anyway.  My Dr David Goodall (104)  hit was virtually worthless until Ted Dabney capitulated at the last minute.

SC

Well Goodall was an academic, but yeah, I think yer right about the average age rule.

Still, that should (hopefully!) ward off any arguments before they start. Well, ignoring the thing is hosted by a Glaswegian who can start an argument in an empty room... :lol:

The chances of a 103 year old man dying in the next 12 months are about 42% so you have about a 3.5% chance of a hit in the next month (not great odds when you probably need to land at least two hits out of eleven to have a chance in each match).

Of course those %s are based on an average 103 year old not one who is on their death bed riddled with cancer - I guess msc is trying to avoid the situation where someone picks a nobody old person dying of cancer who will somehow get a QO and it being argued that they are old and therefore are eligible (I can't get my head round how the person I describe would get a QO mind?).

I would like to join this please!! 

Complete newbie so will be useless but up for a laugh :)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Master Tech said:

I would like to join this please!! 

Complete newbie so will be useless but up for a laugh :)

If we get drawn against each other then lump on the 0-0 draw :biggrin:

• Haha 2

On 03/01/2019 at 15:09, Grim Up North said:

The chances of a 103 year old man dying in the next 12 months are about 42% so you have about a 3.5% chance of a hit in the next month (not great odds when you probably need to land at least two hits out of eleven to have a chance in each match).

Of course those %s are based on an average 103 year old not one who is on their death bed riddled with cancer - I guess msc is trying to avoid the situation where someone picks a nobody old person dying of cancer who will somehow get a QO and it being argued that they are old and therefore are eligible (I can't get my head round how the person I describe would get a QO mind?).

Do you have a full list of chances of people dying by their age? Sounds quite useful for dead-pooling? Or these just percentages you've pulled out your arse?

^ When you see a stats request and go "Thank Christ" when you realise its not directed towards yourself! :D

• Haha 1

With regard to Sean kicking the fuck out a me on a double sided coin on the first of April, I revisited my team that would've been.

I was fucked with last one dying  at the end of March unreported.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3166832

Only got round to checking now.....

Pissed off she didn't obit tbh.

And pissed off I didn't hear about it.

15 hours ago, charon said:

With regard to Sean kicking the fuck out a me on a double sided coin on the first of April, I revisited my team that would've been.

LMAO.....  

(I'm just glad to see 10 months later, charon is over it).

If I had rigged it I could have give myself easier draws than fucking Reptile and deadsox! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 04/01/2019 at 21:03, Deathray said:

Do you have a full list of chances of people dying by their age? Sounds quite useful for dead-pooling? Or these just percentages you've pulled out your arse?

https://www.finder.com/life-insurance/odds-of-dying

As you will see they are available to all on t'internet. You'll notice my 42% should have been 40.4% - I read the 104 year old line in error.

Women details are a click away at top of page.

Cheers, GUN

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have got my team ready but don't want to enter it too early incase a falkholt type incident happens. I'll PM it over on 30th / 31st jan  MSC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Have got my team ready but don't want to enter it too early incase a falkholt type incident happens. I'll PM it over on 30th / 31st jan  MSC.

Of course, a lot depends on the luck of draw - the cut off point for BYES to the 2nd Round right now is 19th place (Deathray) and you are 18th! And some regulars yet to yay or nay a spot.

Oh, to publicly reply to questions as they arise: Vicky Phelan doesn't qualify, but BBC podcaster and Sun journo Deborah James will, as will the other one Lauren Mahon. The third, Rachael Bland, doesn't qualify for reasons which should be fairly obvious!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

I was almost defeated a couple times (and ultimately did lose) to names of people who either showed up hospitalised on the 29th-30th (in one instance Larry Hunter, some college basketball coach had a stroke April 29) or had a health update I clearly missed on those dates.  
Nothing wrong with putting a basic framework together but when I said half the names haven't even hit the news wire yet, I meant it.  You simply can NOT miss those last second names, your opponent won't.
SC

• Like 1

I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew here!! How do you peeps know such obscure, near dead celebs/well know figures? :( 

4 hours ago, Master Tech said:

I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew here!! How do you peeps know such obscure, near dead celebs/well know figures? :( 

We're all in league with the devil we really know him on a personal level. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Master Tech said:

Google, mostly!

Although obscure is not a requirement. Willz beat Captain Chorizo (a Derby Dead Pool runner up in 2016) last year via Ken Dodd. iirc Sir Creep advanced one round via Rev Billy Graham. So the permanent A-listers can be just as crucial as Tania Dalton (TV presenter) or Marsh Pratley (though he was crucial because he lived).

• Like 2

Do we come up with team names to use for the entirety of our participation in the 2019 Deathlist Cup?

25 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

Do we come up with team names to use for the entirety of our participation in the 2019 Deathlist Cup?

Some people do, others change per round, others don't do team names.

It's really a daft 4th tiebreaker (ie, as no one has yet been tied after a Best of 5 coin toss) that folk take seriously for fun, if that makes sense.

The current BYE line is at 18th place - Engineer. Although it is de facto at 20th due to 2 MIA 2018 players, so currently Deathray and Wormfarmer also have Byes into Round 2.

1.       DDT

2.       Sir Creep

3.       Dead cow

4.       Deadsox

5.       Heef

6.       Joey Russ

7.       Y Willz

8.       Sean (yet to confirm entry)

9.       Grim Up North

10.   Charon

11.   Death Impends

12.   msc

13.   Rad

14.   Chorizo

15.   Rover (yet to confirm entry)

16.   Gcreptile

17.   Book

18.   Engineer

State of Play

All 2018 participants got an invite to take part. Felt a bit rude to go asking newcomers before doing so.  Of the 28 competitors in the 2018 Cup, all bar 4 have announced their entry into the 2019 Cup. They are:

Roverandout - Doesn't appear to be around much anymore.

Garn - Ditto.

Sean - Not around much either lately by looks of it.

Spade (who obviously is rather busy, and got a cursory invite solely because it would have been hideously rude not to...)

So, who do we have so far?

Previous Winners

deadsox, DDT

Previous Finalists

Death Impends, Sir Creep

Other 2018 Players

msc, Gcreptile, Joey Russ, Young Willz, Book, Grim Up North, Deathray, Rad, Bibliogryphon, John Key, Maryport, charon, Fixed Business, Engineer, Heef, Captain Chorizo, Pedro, Wormfarmer, The Dead Cow, Yorkshire Banker

Returnees from 2017

The Mad Hatter

2019 Newcomers

nantonian2013, The Old Lady, Clorox, Boudicca, The Old Crem, Skinny Kiltrunner, Alt Obits Guy, markb4, Torva Messor, Squonk, The Quim Reaper, BuffaloPhil, Banana, Time, The Unknown Man, Gooseberry Crumble, Dr T, Joe Moneypenny, Exu, Master Tech, Great Uncle Bulgaria

Spots remain open till midnight on Saturday. The draws for Round 1 and Round 2 will be up soon after.

Although I suspect 99% of you are in now (at least), entries are open until then for anyone who still wants to join in all the fun.

• Like 1

I'm at the cut off point so really it only takes one to not enter or forget etc. I'll prepare and submit my team as usual. Me and YW battled it out to a 0-0 if i remember last time and out on pens.