msc

The 2019 Deathlist Cup

51 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Wait. Has anyone told @markb4?

:evil2:

Lol I'm glad @Dr_T has his team in now. Watch me get knocked out in this first round, lol!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Btw Creep is one of my 5-6 go to songs and one I am requested to sing karaoke.  Purely coincidence.  So that video suits me.

JoeMoneyPenny looks like the rookie to keep an eye on.  I like his team, eclectic. Good pix.

Did I miss something?  We are picking jokers this year?  Why?  How does that even work?  I don’t want to know don’t tell me.  SMH

Edit lol it’s only in bold fucking letters.  See what having a bye does to a person :dead:

But still....why?

OK, Andrew McGahan, after much praise since 1988 for an acclaimed career,  has had enough with the wonders of a Godless world, had his last drinks and gone underground into the white earth. Bingo!  14 teams scored, because we all love a nice quiet start to ease me into this.

So, both Pedro and JoeMoneyPenny score, with this being the first Cup hit for Joe. Also for many others, like both Quim Reaper and BuffaloPhil in the same tie. Maryport, Wormfarmer and John Key take early 3-0 leads, as do two team we might hear a lot about this year in Alt Obits Guy and The Mad Hatter.  Elsewhere, Banker/Skinny and FB/Clorox, two ties harder to call, are at 3-3 already. Two jokers were cashed in, and fittingly the winner of the 2018 Jokers Pool got the first ever DL Cup joker, Torva going 6-0 up. Also scoring with his joker after the in-out controversy is Dr T, with a 6-0 lead on Markb4. Who, incidentally, wanted me to reinstate Dr T - a great act of magnanimity, we can all agree.

Oh, and we're doing Jokers because I wanted to try them out (and everyone I queried before hand was all "Great idea!"). If they work, they work. If no, they disappear for the next. Although never tell Rad the idea by comparing it to Mortal Kombat fatalities, he will think you ancient. Ahem.

1.       JoeMoneyPenny Vs. Pedro 3-3

2.       Nantonian 2013 Vs. Maryportfuncity 0-3

3.       Gooseberry Crumble Vs. John Key 0-3

4.       Spade Cooley Vs. Squonk 0-0

5. Markb4 vs Dr T 0-6

6.       Banana Vs. Great Uncle Bulgaria 0-0

7.       Yorkshire Banker Vs. Skinny Kiltrunner 3-3

8.       Alt Obits Guy Vs. Time 3-0

9.       Clorox Vs. Fixed Business 3-3

10.   The Mad Hatter Vs. Exu 3-0

11.   Master Tech Vs. Bibliogryphon 0-0

12.   The Unknown Man Vs. Boudicca 0-0

13.   Torva Messor Vs. The Old Crem 6-0

14.   The Quim Reaper Vs. BuffaloPhil  3-3

15.   Wormfarmer Vs. The Old Lady 3-0

• Like 7

Just over a day in and I am already embarrassing exu.

• Haha 1

So Anne Boyle was chair of the Nebraskan Democratic Party before a massive stroke last week. Two players were quick on the draw to note the words "hospice care" after (that + stroke = :skull:) and thus pick up 3 points here, and the lead in their respective ties. Banana appears to be a swiftly improving deadpooler, and Spade Cooley needs no introduction by now. So on Day 3 of Round 1, we already only have 2 goalless games in the round - Master Tech/Biblio and TUM/Bou.

1.       JoeMoneyPenny Vs. Pedro 3-3

2.       Nantonian 2013 Vs. Maryportfuncity 0-3

3.       Gooseberry Crumble Vs. John Key 0-3

4.       Spade Cooley Vs. Squonk 3-0

5. Markb4 vs Dr T 0-6

6.       Banana Vs. Great Uncle Bulgaria 3-0

7.       Yorkshire Banker Vs. Skinny Kiltrunner 3-3

8.       Alt Obits Guy Vs. Time 3-0

9.       Clorox Vs. Fixed Business 3-3

10.   The Mad Hatter Vs. Exu 3-0

11.   Master Tech Vs. Bibliogryphon 0-0

12.   The Unknown Man Vs. Boudicca 0-0

13.   Torva Messor Vs. The Old Crem 6-0

14.   The Quim Reaper Vs. BuffaloPhil  3-3

15.   Wormfarmer Vs. The Old Lady 3-0

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Master Tech said:

I am learning very quickly that next year I need to do my research .... 

Ah warned yooo

but did yooo listen....

2A88CF0C-F855-449F-85AE-9663056919EA.jpeg

• Like 1

Firstly may I thank Markb4 for being so gracious in accepting me back into the competition.  In a normal league hearing that your opponent has been disqualified and then re-admitted into the competition would cause disruptions in preparation, perhaps not so here unless Mark had organised some hits which he subsequently cancelled.  Sorry for being slow in catching the problem...I was away from work because I got my little dog desexed and so was only very sporadically checking the forums-which I mostly do in between less important work duties (like now).  Replying from home also involves typing on the Ipad which I find frustratingly slow and inaccurate compared with a keyboard.  But enough about me.

Funnily enough I was talking about Andrew McGahan at work the day before I found out he had cancer (because someone selected him in Advent Avalanche).  For a period he was quite famous in Australia due to the success of his initial book "Praise".  Not exactly a household name, but certainly well-known for people of my vintage and especially in Brisbane where the book was set.  I was talking about buying the book and reading it only to find the second and third last leaves missing, leaving me with the last leaf which had about 1.5 paragraphs in it.  I found the book too gritty and not overly interesting, so I just got my refund from the shop and never worried about the bit I missed.  It dealt with a poor local subculture of which I was already too familiar and which had been told much more entertainingly in John Birminghham's "He Died With a Felafel in His Hand".

Mrs T couldn't remember whether or not she had read the book.  I asked he if she remembered a scene where a young couple were having a bath in a communal bathroom in a boarding house where she was rubbing cream into the eczema on his back while they listened to an old man in a nearby toilet shitting?   She couldn't so I suggested she hadn't read the book.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@msc not sure if mentioned but the list has Michael Bowie, and though that person exists (NFL player, domestic abuse etc), I'm certain it's supposed to be Micah Bowie the baseball player.

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

@msc not sure if mentioned but the list has Michael Bowie, and though that person exists (NFL player, domestic abuse etc), I'm certain it's supposed to be Micah Bowie the baseball player.

Can confirm Banana is Micah.

Confused by JoeMoneyPenny putting forward Michael Bowie.

1 minute ago, msc said:

Can confirm Banana is Micah.

Confused by JoeMoneyPenny putting forward Michael Bowie.

Oooo the careless mistake!  Will be interesting....  :referee:

Michael Bowie not a bad shout in some pools tho. Not without a chance.

On 31/01/2019 at 18:02, msc said:

45.   Stuart Frazer - Bou

@msc from the best I can tell it's supposed to be Fraser with an S.  
However this doesn't solve the dilemma -- as there are two Stuart Frasers with cancer, one a chef, one a musician.  
Oh I could ask my best friend @Boudicca but better to expose a controversy and see the accusations and name calling and people quitting DL over it etc.  You understand.
I'm just trying to gain points toward being a Moderator some day.  :wub:
SC

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

@msc from the best I can tell it's supposed to be Fraser with an S.  
However this doesn't solve the dilemma -- as there are two Stuart Frasers with cancer, one a chef, one a musician.  
Oh I could ask my best friend @Boudicca but better to expose a controversy and see the accusations and name calling and people quitting DL over it etc.  You understand.
I'm just trying to gain points toward being a Moderator some day.  :wub:
SC

Oh she's threatened you with mod-ship, too, eh? :D

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, msc said:

Oh she's threatened you with mod-ship, too, eh? :D

More like midships ........

as_they_walk_the_plank_by_miyazaki_a2-d35z0yx.gif.60f78d356b66084fc44b045317ada8c8.gif

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, charon said:

More like midships ........

as_they_walk_the_plank_by_miyazaki_a2-d35z0yx.gif.60f78d356b66084fc44b045317ada8c8.gif

I'm going to have to pass.  Unlike @Boudicca, I'm not a 'skilled navigator'.  The secret collection of Mods/Mids will have to look elsewhere.

On 31/01/2019 at 18:02, msc said:

90.   Heather McLean (historian) - Banana

I have a real problem with someone telling me this woman meets a threshold for celebrity.  She's no more a 'historian' than anyone else who goes to the graveyard and documents information for FindAGrave or any other purpose.  To my knowledge she's a chambermaid.  Her bio indicates nothing more.  Of course her bio also doesn't mention fuckall of her being ill so it's all moot.  Make an executive decision and say NO after this month.  She is less of a nobody than that organic farmer you allowed last year.

SC

The Appeals Cmme has heard your complaint but refers to Ms McLean's awarding of the Queen's Service Medal (sort of the OBE for NZers) and her 50 year career in academia research. She is clearly a notable name in NZ historical and genealogical circles (which a Fnd a Graver would not be) and thus is more famous than that angler, the guy from Trinidad and D McE*. Just.

*Did she die?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, msc said:

The Appeals Cmme has heard your complaint but refers to Ms McLean's awarding of the Queen's Service Medal (sort of the OBE for NZers) and her 50 year career in academia research. She is clearly a notable name in NZ historical and genealogical circles (which a Fnd a Graver would not be) and thus is more famous than that angler, the guy from Trinidad and Destinee McEwen*. Just.

*Did she die?

Not yet to my knowledge

3 hours ago, msc said:

The Appeals Cmme has heard your complaint but refers to Ms McLean's awarding of the Queen's Service Medal (sort of the OBE for NZers) and her 50 year career in academia research. She is clearly a notable name in NZ historical and genealogical circles (which a Fnd a Graver would not be) and thus is more famous than that angler, the guy from Trinidad and Destinee McEwen*. Just.

*Did she die?

I'm a NZ history student (third year) and I've done some work on my genealogy (not deep research, more googling and attempted compiling). Let me be clear, I've never heard of her and google comes up with very little, but what I did read makes it sound like she's worked for some good things and has lived helped others. Famous, absolutely not. But that doesn't mean I think she should be excluded. 

Other than being 81 years old, is her health actually a concern anyway? 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/history/news/article.cfm?c_id=500832&objectid=12182899

1 minute ago, John Key said:

I'm a NZ history student (third year) and I've done some work on my genealogy (not deep research, more googling and attempted compiling). Let me be clear, I've never heard of her and google comes up with very little, but what I did read makes it sound like she's worked for some good things and has lived helped others. Famous, absolutely not. But that doesn't mean I think she should be excluded. 

Other than being 81 years old, is her health actually a concern anyway? 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/history/news/article.cfm?c_id=500832&objectid=12182899

She’s currently in hospice care.