Deathray

Liz Dawn Memorial Deadpool 2019

Yes, I'm frankly as staggered as you that it's took me this long to come up with this! In the interest of only running another deadpool if it's one I'm likely to be aware of picks deaths anyway.

The game will begin on the 1st February 2019 and end on the 31st January 2020 (this is to allow me to run both this and the Hares Death Pool adequately as the majority of the donkey work needs to be done prior to opening and just before shutting a deadpool. (And because frankly there's enough competitions that open in Jan).

It's a somewhat simple affair rules wise, though.  

Submit 10 celebrities who have appeared in soap operas either as regular actors, guest actors or special guest appearances as themselves and preferably 3 substitutes [It would really help Deathray if you could submit the main team as as Wildcard first then alphabetically by first name and subs in the order you want to pick them. Cheers!]

No late changes in this - sorry guys.

No famous for being ills welcome, unless they've somehow managed to fulfil the above criteria^ then have at it.

Basic Scoring

• 10 points for a celebrity who is still appearing in a soap when the competition opens.
  • 8 points for a celebrity who left their [most recent] soap opera in the past 12 months for non-health reasons. 
  • 5 points for a celebrity who left their [most recent] soap opera in the past 12 months for health reasons.
  • 5 points for a celebrity who left their [most recent] soap opera more than 12 months ago. 

Bonuses

Wildcard Bonus: Basic x 2 for your wildcard pick.

The Young and the Restless Bonus 

+ 1 points for celebrities between the ages of 80-100

+ 5 points for celebrities between the ages of 60-80

+8 points for celebrities between the ages of 40-60

+10 points for celebrities between the age of 18-40

Triangle Bonus: + 3 points for anyone who appeared in a soap that lasted less than 100 episodes.

El Dorado Bonus: + 3 points for anyone who appeared in a soap opera not set in the country of broadcast (country of broadcast being it's primary country of broadcast).

As the World Tunes In Bonus: +5 points for anyone who appeared in any soap opera broadcast in more than 10 countries during it's life-time.

Survival Bonus: +10 points for any pick who appeared in a soap with more episodes than Doctor Who at the time of opening the competition.

Bloody Foreigners Bonus: +6 points for celebrities who appeared in soaps never broadcast in an English speaking country.

Bonuses aggregate together, so if a pick appeared in Triangle and Coronation Street they'd get the As the World Turns, Survival and Triangle bonuses. 

Edit 1: Apparently what TV and radio programmes are classed as soaps is a contentious issue. Here's a list of most of the programmes we accept and your likely to actually want to submit from (there's genuinely thousands of soap operas, I can't list them all  so this only covers UK, USA and Irish TV and radio and Australian TV, other countries are permitted but a ruling will be made on a case by case basis). It's also possible your picked a show for one of the main four countries I missed out, so try your luck. 

Edit 2: Apparently this really is a contentious matter, for the purposes of this pool - we need to define a soap opera, and what spin offs can contribute to inclusion in this pool - so use the below: In response to a PM Query I have had from a potential entrant there's a new rule.

Spin Offs -

• An individual episode spin off will be counted as a part of the main show.
  • A multi-episode spin off series will be counted as a soap opera and therefore eligible.

For clarification this means "Dot's Story" and "Perfectly Frank..." would be counted as episodes of EastEnders.

Whilst "Kat and Alfie: Red Water" and "Damon and Debbie" (Brookside spin off) will be counted as separate soap operas. 

Who knew this would be so fucking complicated?

Episodes must have been shown on television to qualify, you're obscure direct-to-videos such as "Coronation Street: Out of Africa" can fuck off. 

Obituary Requirements.

1.  A national newspaper / modern equivalent in the primary country of broadcast for the soap opera. (i.e if Barbara Windsor gets an obit in Der Spiegel but not The Guardian or any other UK outlet, tough shit, meanwhile if Der Spiegel obit a German soap star (I genuinely don't know any google brings up Sila Sahin)
    1. 1 - Individual home nations of the UK count as a country of broadcast. Everywhere else national obits only.

And My Team has been PMed to @YoungWillz for safe-keeping.

Daft Enough to Participate Are:

• Deathray
  • YoungWillz
  • Dead Wait
  • Handrejka
  • Bibliogryphon
  • the_engineer
  • Gooseberry Crumble
  • The Old Crem
  • FixedBusiness
  • Like 3

Sounds good I'll enter. 

Sounds good - I presume it opens 1st February 2019 and end on the 31st January 2020?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Obit requirements?

Updated. Slightly stricter obit requirements than a few other games round here so bare that in mind (again in the interest of ease of running the game beyond anything else). Individual home nations of the UK will county as a country of broadcast for the avoidance of doubt.

• Like 1

I'll play.  I like pools that avoid the congested end Dec/beginning Jan period.

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'll play.  I like pools that avoid the congested end Dec/beginning Jan period.

I know a pool starting in February! :D

And yeah, I'll give this a shot, though I don't know much soaps so it'll likely be a team of June Brown and other oldies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, msc said:

I know a pool starting in February! :D

:D Ah yes.  Sorry, I won't be doing the DL Cup though - not keen on that kind of format.  

1 minute ago, Toast said:

:D Ah yes.  Sorry, I won't be doing the DL Cup though - not keen on that kind of format.  

No worries. :)

I like the idea but think it’s a bit outside my wheelhouse.  GL, it does sound a bit of fun.

Er, you do realize that it’s not 2018 anymore, right?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Er, you do realize that it’s not 2018 anymore, right?

Fucking hell Joey - I had Leslie Grantham as my joker!

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Are entries to be PM'd?

I was going to ask this  two but thought I was being dim and missed where it been said

• Like 1

Deathers, I'm assuming this covers the likes of radio soaps too?

7 minutes ago, charon said:

Deathers, I'm assuming this covers the likes of radio soaps too?

Yep they are included.

Although fuck knows where I'm going to find out how many episodes there was of Front Line Family if anyone enters a cast member from it. 

Do continuing dramas such as Casualty , Holby et al count as soaps? What about The Bill or Angels? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

Yep they are included.

Although fuck knows where I'm going to find out how many episodes there was of Front Line Family if anyone enters a cast member from it. 

Well that changes my thinking

38 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Do continuing dramas such as Casualty , Holby et al count as soaps? What about The Bill or Angels? 

Yes ... I never thought of Triangle as being a soap.  It was a series.  An extremely crap series.

(I say that as someone who worked for a ferry company at the time.  There was potential for it to be highly entertaining but it was just ridiculous.)

Holby, Casualty, Doctors and the Bill give plentiful of guest appearances.

When submitting a team should we include all their eligible soaps or only their main ones for those who have been regular on one soap but a guest on another.

I never saw holby, casualty or the bill as soaps but doctors i do.

How about we go on what has been nominated for an award in the soap category at award shows?

30 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yes ... I never thought of Triangle as being a soap.  It was a series.  An extremely crap series.

(I say that as someone who worked for a ferry company at the time.  There was potential for it to be highly entertaining but it was just ridiculous.)

A soap according to wiki, as are the ones I mentioned and many others I've never heard of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_(1981_TV_series)