Long overdue thread for Time Lords discussion.

It really shouldn't be overdue, lets face it, if one can time travel that ought not to happen.

ETA: Don't get me wrong I was a huge fan of Asimov and Clarke as a teenager and am still quite fond of Ronald D Moores' reboot of Battlestar Galactica, at least until it got stupidly spiritual/religious towards the end, not to mention Stagate SG1 which is an absolute riot in places. It's just that as an adult I never got Dr Who. Maybe I should have, but it is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is this the first instance of someone starting a thread on a subject matter they have no intention of ever participating in and no interest in discussing on DL?

I guess we have to thank the Not-We for giving us a new home...

Anyway whilst the new series continues to disappoint my old series marathon brings me to Dalek's Master Plan - wish me fucking luck....

• Like 3

Well this is poorly timed as there will now be no new Who for at least 12 if not 20 months. However I can always post about my catch up on the 10th Doctor  episodes I haven't yet seen and there is a Doctor Who classic series marathon starting on Twitch tomorrow. I could also regale you with my search for rare EDAs.

Currently trying to find The Infinity Race without paying excessive amounts of cash for it.

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Well this is poorly timed as there will now be no new Who for at least 12 if not 20 months. However I can always post about my catch up on the 10th Doctor  episodes I haven't yet seen and there is a Doctor Who classic series marathon starting on Twitch tomorrow. I could also regale you with my search for rare EDAs.

Currently trying to find The Infinity Race without paying excessive amounts of cash for it.

The twitch marathon - judging from last time they ran it - is a PITA for anyone worming their way through the back catalogue for the first time to be honest, recons are largely skipped over, meaning entire serials are missing and the sheer volume thrown at you makes it nye on impossible to watch much of it anyway. More a way of casually dipping in I suppose.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

What's The Infinity Race?

40 minutes ago, GraveDanger said:

What's The Infinity Race?

An Eighth Doctor's Adventures Novel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/01/2019 at 14:10, Deathray said:

The twitch marathon - judging from last time they ran it - is a PITA for anyone worming their way through the back catalogue for the first time to be honest, recons are largely skipped over, meaning entire serials are missing and the sheer volume thrown at you makes it nye on impossible to watch much of it anyway. More a way of casually dipping in I suppose.

I watched a fair bit of the Twitch marathon in the summer and my conclusion was the main thing about classic Who was it was damned watchable. Utter nonsense at times but a lot of fun. Even in bad stories there was something interesting going on. For example The Hand of Fear is pretty rubbish but Judith Parrish's costume is fantastic.

17 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I watched a fair bit of the Twitch marathon in the summer and my conclusion was the main thing about classic Who was it was damned watchable. Utter nonsense at times but a lot of fun. Even in bad stories there was something interesting going on. For example The Hand of Fear is pretty rubbish but Judith Parrish's costume is fantastic.

imo the original run can be split into 4 types:

1. The actually great stuff (actually a fair bit of this)

2. The stuff where the budget ran out early  (rather more of this)

3. The what the blue hell is this I'm watching (see 2)

4. Dull and boring.

I can forgive all of that on TV, except dull and boring.

15 hours ago, msc said:

imo the original run can be split into 4 types:

1. The actually great stuff (actually a fair bit of this)

2. The stuff where the budget ran out early  (rather more of this)

3. The what the blue hell is this I'm watching (see 2)

4. Dull and boring.

I can forgive all of that on TV, except dull and boring.

Not much is really dull and boring. Although I did fall asleep during The Sensorites last night.

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

Not much is really dull and boring. Although I did fall asleep during The Sensorites last night.

I don't mind The Sensorites but Underworld, The Mutants, large chunks of Arc of Infinity...

5 minutes ago, msc said:

I don't mind The Sensorites but Underworld, The Mutants, large chunks of Arc of Infinity...

Claws of Axos for me.

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Any sane man would, had someone try to tell me it was a classic elsewhere though...

• Haha 2

On 04/01/2019 at 12:01, Deathray said:

Is this the first instance of someone starting a thread on a subject matter they have no intention of ever participating in and no interest in discussing on DL?

I guess we have to thank the Not-We for giving us a new home...

Anyway whilst the new series continues to disappoint my old series marathon brings me to Dalek's Master Plan - wish me fucking luck....

Five and half months later my marathon remains on Daleks Master Plan.

• Haha 1

So following my very long time ploughing through Dalek's Master Plan I've picked up the pace through to the Gunfighters (well actually up to War Machines here but the Gunfighters is what I want to talk about). 

What in he fucking name of God. This is meant to be some kind of avant garde 60s attempt at a overblown satirical sitcom right, I'm not sure a children's show is really the most appropriate place for that. However one thing really really really really beyond all comprehension for anyone who hasn't seen it ruins the entire serial. This piece of shit repetitive overplayed background music. The sets are amazing, the accents are dodgy, the characters are two dimensional, the gun-fights are caricatures of western violence. 

Why in the name of all that is holy?

Despite all this, it's bloody amazing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deathray said:

So following my very long time ploughing through Dalek's Master Plan I've picked up the pace through to the Gunfighters (well actually up to War Machines here but the Gunfighters is what I want to talk about). 

What in he fucking name of God. This is meant to be some kind of avant garde 60s attempt at a overblown satirical sitcom right, I'm not sure a children's show is really the most appropriate place for that. However one thing really really really really beyond all comprehension for anyone who hasn't seen it ruins the entire serial. This piece of shit repetitive overplayed background music. The sets are amazing, the accents are dodgy, the characters are two dimensional, the gun-fights are caricatures of western violence.

Despite all this, it's bloody amazing. 

It used to be considered the absolute nadir, until it was finally released on video in 2003, and folk younger than 55 could see it. Despite its flaws, yeah, its great - helps that its genuinely very funny. Especially when the humour gets dark.

Why do all recons misnumber the Highlanders so badly. ITS S04E04 Part X not S04E02 Part X you idiots. 

Discovered my old Doctor Who Annuals 1978-82 (there may be more) in the loft.

*nostalgia break*

• Like 1

Anyone else think the New Years Episode was a decent step up from the Series 11 farce (Rosa excepted), seemed to be something resembling character development, genuine suspense and a brilliant twist (I've got a feeling everybody here who cares has seen it but I won't say more in case)..... awesome monsters by the way - the in your face bluntness of the political themes still needs toned down a bit, but we're getting closer to Doctor Who not Chibnall does sci-fi.... (a lot of the sci-fi satire in Spyfall was tremendous though). 

And a two parter as well..... and for the first time in years I'm genuinely looking forward to the next episode  to the point out I wish it was sooner rather than 'i'd like to see it'

I was left baffled in its own self-indulgence. Slapping a few guest stars in only works if they are truly talented actors who can make you forget who they are. Lenny Henry and Stephen Fry are not those guys, with all due respect. Couldn't see beyond them...what was this, I said, fucking Comic Relief? And that bloody accent on Whitaker is broader than ever.....how American watchers can bear it without subtitles I have no idea, but I lived in 't North for 3 sodding years and I'm struggling.

I'd like to know how (spoiler) survived their last appearance, however, historically there's always been an unexplained comeback with them.

Who dem baddies? It better be better than previous attempts, yet to be seen. And I have a horrible feeling we are in for more story arcs which last the series and perhaps beyond. It's a device I absolutely despise, because the Doctor is timeless and mere blips in his story blown up to huge proportions (like fucking Bad Wolf) obscure the grand design of the show.

I actually liked most of the last series. This opener was parody heavy to the extent of piss-taking the show itself.

Imo.

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I was left baffled in its own self-indulgence. Slapping a few guest stars in only works if they are truly talented actors who can make you forget who they are. Lenny Henry and Stephen Fry are not those guys, with all due respect. Couldn't see beyond them...what was this, I said, fucking Comic Relief? And that bloody accent on Whitaker is broader than ever.....how American watchers can bear it without subtitles I have no idea, but I lived in 't North for 3 sodding years and I'm struggling.

I'd like to know how (spoiler) survived their last appearance, however, historically there's always been an unexplained comeback with them.

Who dem baddies? It better be better than previous attempts, yet to be seen. And I have a horrible feeling we are in for more story arcs which last the series and perhaps beyond. It's a device I absolutely despise, because the Doctor is timeless and mere blips in his story blown up to huge proportions (like fucking Bad Wolf) obscure the grand design of the show.

I actually liked most of the last series. This opener was parody heavy to the extent of piss-taking the show itself.

Imo.

Re - the stunt castings, I thought Stephen Fry did well but was too obvious, Lenny Henry came across is if he would up there with the kind of supporting actor Doctor Who could pull in regularly (not exceptional, not shit) if he wasn't Lenny Henry - but I didn't find it anywhere near as distraction as the utter third wall breaking clumsy lines of dialogue..... (is he just here for the running commentary?). 

Proper spoiler territory here but there's no way of proposing this theory without revealing the twist......

Spoiler

Theory floating around mscs favourite site :P - good old Gallifrey Base (yes  I'm an account holding, relatively frequent poster, you can all judge me for the absolute sad bastard I am - but don't until you've read the missing episode thread comedy fucking gold sadly hidden behind an account creation wall, apparently every episode of Doctor Who exists and two parties are curently engaged in legal battles, bidding battles and rights battles galore over them and that's why they haven't been released.... as someones hoarding them but the BBC Worldwide division are trying to get them back..... any I massively massively digress) is that the Dhawan incarnation falls between the John Simm incarnation and the 'Missy' incarnation'; as they never explicitly ruled that possibility out..... )

Also I thought him choosing the name 'Oh' was utterly brilliant and dare I say masterful and those silhouttes monsters were bloody brilliant, just wish I could work out who the Master is working for - I've got a niggling feeling O is not actually the Master, but the alien race behind that we know can shapeshift taking his form as a way of comprimising the Doctors ability to neutralise them - we know O had files thick as bookshelves on the Doctor, and there'd be stuff about the Master in there - allowing him to build a persona to inhabit to fool her.........

36 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I liked the one in some 80s episode.

Doctor: So you escaped from the planet of evil? (Made up, I know)

(X): Oh Doctor, you have been naive.

And thats the entire explanation. On with the plot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, msc said:

I liked the one in some 80s episode.

Doctor: So you escaped from the planet of evil? (Made up, I know)

(X): Oh Doctor, you have been naive.

And thats the entire explanation. On with the plot.

End of The King's Demons, pre-cursor to Five Doctors, wasn't so much on with the plot given it formed the story cliffhanger, more 'now we're talking come back for the good one'........

https://youtu.be/OavJLA-5BdM

Absolutely the way to do it.....

Also regards you're currently discussing whether the throwaway 'I've had an upgrade' joke at C's expense was an an uber-feminist social justice warrior line that is indoctrinating kids and will make white male children feel inferior, some people really haven't took the gender change well...... :lol:

I was slightly pissed off because I saw the reveal on Twitter  before I had a chance to watch the episode.

The episode left me in two minds. It looked good and there was a real sense of menace but the story telling was woeful and in the end was just a handful of scenes with barely enough plot to string them together.

The two parter is a nice change which allows better pacing. A step up from Season 11 but still way behind Season 10.

• Like 1

Slept on this.

How come I can watch Bradley Walsh host Cash Trapped and The Chase all year and still believe he is Graham in the show? Because tbh, he is awesome and inspired casting.

The great thing about Who is its self-referential nods to keep the fans happy. So for example, when they all appear with a change of wardrobe, why not start with a close up of their bow ties and zoom out, rather than do a boots up pan? Bow ties are cool, remember?

I agree with the dialogue comments and the story telling points above. You know, sometimes you need to go outside the Doctor and companions and give us the audience a little insight that the characters don't have. Currently, it's like looking over the shoulder of someone playing a first person shooter game for the first play through without having read the booklet. We are still firmly in the territory established with New Who that the best of the whole thing is the last 5 minutes.

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Slept on this.

How come I can watch Bradley Walsh host Cash Trapped and The Chase all year and still believe he is Graham in the show? Because tbh, he is awesome and inspired casting.

The great thing about Who is its self-referential nods to keep the fans happy. So for example, when they all appear with a change of wardrobe, why not start with a close up of their bow ties and zoom out, rather than do a boots up pan? Bow ties are cool, remember?

I agree with the dialogue comments and the story telling points above. You know, sometimes you need to go outside the Doctor and companions and give us the audience a little insight that the characters don't have. Currently, it's like looking over the shoulder of someone playing a first person shooter game for the first play through without having read the booklet. We are still firmly in the territory established with New Who that the best of the whole thing is the last 5 minutes.

Whilst Bradley is a good actor, I think familiarity breeds acceptance, took me a few episodes to get past it's Bradley Walsh.....

• Like 2