38 minutes ago, msc said:

I know social media goes nuts about gender/race/etc of characters but as long as the actor/actress is right for the role I don't care if they are male, female, 20, 70, white, black, etc...

Although I would add that the showrunner is more important. Much as I could point flaws in Russell T Davies or Steven Moffat's writing (or things not to my own taste), they know how to write engaging characters and plots. Chris Chibnall has been responsible for some of the worst written TV I've seen in the last decade, and some of it won awards and praise too. 

ie Broadchurch:

"You need to do your job properly."

"I can't, I'm too emotional!"

"That's OK. You are a woman after all."

Fuck off Chibnall. A hack who politicked his way into a job and then proved completely inept at even the basics. He wont be missed.

I was pretty disparaging of some of RTD's stories when it first returned, but watching them recently, I found them a lot better than I remember. I thought Chibnall had a couple of good stories during the Moffatt era (but I might be thinking of someone else), but I was mostly disappointed with his efforts as showrunner, particularly the first JW series/season - not Doctor Who-y enough. Maybe its my age, but it seemed to have lost the 'magic ingredient' which makes it Doctor Who, rather than just another sci-fi story.

• Like 1

Bring back Steven Moffat or RTD even just for 1 series so we can go on some kind of track.

4 hours ago, time said:

I was pretty disparaging of some of RTD's stories when it first returned, but watching them recently, I found them a lot better than I remember. I thought Chibnall had a couple of good stories during the Moffatt era (but I might be thinking of someone else), but I was mostly disappointed with his efforts as showrunner, particularly the first JW series/season - not Doctor Who-y enough. Maybe its my age, but it seemed to have lost the 'magic ingredient' which makes it Doctor Who, rather than just another sci-fi story.

The era looks fantastic but the stories and scripts feel unpolished and CC is the worst culprit  I feel he is in need of a good script editor to tell him when something needs more work. S12 was an improvement on S11 but still needs work to be back where it should be.

• Like 1

Unsaveable. 

Too much soap opera, not enough science, now John Bishop? 

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Unsaveable. 

Too much soap opera, not enough science, now John Bishop? 

Spot the Adric era fan!

:lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Spot the Adric era fan!

Look, for years it's been about relationships - like Press Gang without the charm. :D

Tate - Tennant was probably the golden era of the present run. Precisely because they emphasised the story over the relationship like of old, whereas almost every other assistant wanted to bang the Doctor (and if they didn't - Rory - they kept punishing by killing him!)? Get a room in a fanfiction forum, say I!

And @msc as you well know, I go waaay back to the start of the Pertwee era!

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Look, for years it's been about relationships - like Press Gang without the charm. :D

Tate - Tennant was probably the golden era of the present run. Precisely because they emphasised the story over the relationship like of old, whereas almost every other assistant wanted to bang the Doctor (and if they didn't - Rory - they kept punishing by killing him!)? Get a room in a fanfiction forum, say I!

And @msc as you well know, I go waaay back to the start of the Pertwee era!

Hah couldn't resist! (Chris Bidmead's "Doctor, I shall defeat you with hard mathematical formula" era was a bit insomnia curing for me as a kid though.)

I think Chibnall has been focusing on the story, because he can't write characters. Alas, he can't write story either.

• Like 2

So RTD is returning as show runner and I may be slightly excited.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

So RTD is returning as show runner and I may be slightly excited.

Aaand Olly Alexander is suddenly back to being bookie’s favourite for Jodie’s replacement…sounds good to me!

On 30/07/2021 at 18:23, msc said:

Chris Chibnall has been responsible for some of the worst written TV I've seen in the last decade.

A hack who politicked his way into a job and then proved completely inept at even the basics.

I stand by my earlier comments. 

That said, the Sontaran one was fun so well above his usual standards. Sundays episode was a complete and utter fucking mess though.

Also I thought I was replying to LFN's TV watching, and I appear to have done it in the wrong fucking thread...

10 hours ago, msc said:

I stand by my earlier comments. 

That said, the Sontaran one was fun so well above his usual standards. Sundays episode was a complete and utter fucking mess though.

Also I thought I was replying to LFN's TV watching, and I appear to have done it in the wrong fucking thread...

Twat.:D

• Haha 1

On 24/09/2021 at 18:26, TQR said:

Aaand Olly Alexander is suddenly back to being bookie’s favourite for Jodie’s replacement…sounds good to me!

According to this interview in The Guardian, Omari Douglas is the latest favourite to become the next Doctor. Ladbrokes website has him as 3-1 favourite, with Olly Alexander at 6. I wonder whether these two have ever been mentioned by the BBC/showrunner or production team as genuine possibilities or if its merely speculation based on the fact that the actors have worked with RTD previously. Maybe it'll be Callum Scott Howells next week!

Personally, I think its time for a Brummie Doctor; Ladbrokes has David Harewood at 33-1 and Adrian Lester at 50-1, which probably reflects the chances of either of them saying yes, even if it were offered.. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, time said:

According to this interview in The Guardian, Omari Douglas is the latest favourite to become the next Doctor. Ladbrokes website has him as 3-1 favourite, with Olly Alexander at 6. I wonder whether these two have ever been mentioned by the BBC/showrunner or production team as genuine possibilities or if its merely speculation based on the fact that the actors have worked with RTD previously. Maybe it'll be Callum Scott Howells next week!

Personally, I think its time for a Brummie Doctor; Ladbrokes has David Harewood at 33-1 and Adrian Lester at 50-1, which probably reflects the chances of either of them saying yes, even if it were offered.. 

Lets face it this is easy/lazy journalism. They look at the betting sites they look at RTDs past output. They get some pictures of the actors look nice/edgy/in appropriate to suit their angle and throw some words at a page.

I try not to get too involved anymore I will wait for the announcement and probably have to Google them

8 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Lets face it this is easy/lazy journalism. They look at the betting sites they look at RTDs past output. They get some pictures of the actors look nice/edgy/in appropriate to suit their angle and throw some words at a page.

I try not to get too involved anymore I will wait for the announcement and probably have to Google them

Of course, a lot of journalism seems to involve trawling the interwebs looking for juicy titbits, but the 'new Doctor Who' speculation seems to grow with each regeneration was it like this when Eccleston/Tennant/Smith left? On the subject of RTD I see that Lydia West (also of It's a Sin) has also been mentioned as a serious 'contender'!

Personally, I'm less bothered about the actors than the writers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, time said:

Of course, a lot of journalism seems to involve trawling the interwebs looking for juicy titbits, but the 'new Doctor Who' speculation seems to grow with each regeneration was it like this when Eccleston/Tennant/Smith left? On the subject of RTD I see that Lydia West (also of It's a Sin) has also been mentioned as a serious 'contender'!

Personally, I'm less bothered about the actors than the writers.

Doctor Who cannot afford a 'star' so it is either going to be someone at the end of their career who is looking to go out on a high or someone who is up and coming and won't mind it being a millstone around their neck forever

It will never be what is what but if I accept that I want it to be as good as it can be an entertaining

It's bound to be someone who ticks some sort of diversity box.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Toast said:

It's bound to be someone who ticks some sort of diversity box.

I find it so heartbreaking that anyone who isn’t a white, straight man is seen as a tick in a box by some people, rather than for the genuine talent they have.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TQR said:

I find it so heartbreaking that anyone who isn’t a white, straight man is seen as a tick in a box by some people, rather than for the genuine talent they have.

Unfortunately talent doesn't always seem to be the deciding factor.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

Unfortunately talent doesn't always seem to be the deciding factor.

True, history has shown that, with the disproportionate number of white, straight men cast in various roles that aren’t limited by any of those three criteria.

Toast has a point.

Shoehorning people in to dramatic roles/jobs because they are seen to be under represented just shoves a few more gallons of unleaded on to the fire.

The ability to do has been shoved to one side to ensure that we even things up a bit.

That does nobody any service.

As it is, I'd go for Lennie James, a brilliant actor and way too good to play the role anyway.

David Harewood, Colin Salmon, all good choices, not because they are black but because they can act.

That's how it should be, right?

21 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

As it is, I'd go for Lennie James, a brilliant actor and way too good to play the role anyway.

Lennie James is my favourite for the next Bond. Has been since I saw his series of Line of Duty. Hard agree, fucking awesome actor.

• Like 1

I'd like to see Sean Pertwee as the next Doctor... imagine the flashbacks that could be brought back to life.

Doctor Who Day!

Just look at how far...

the show has descended.

You know what's been missing? Glee. Joy. Science.

I'm sure the current series has had some wetting their knickers. I for one haven't paid it any attention, caught some crappy moments pre-Strictly. Some alien-racist remark about a dog like humanoid being "Scooby-Doo" caught me off guard, unchecked by any character.

Also, Tom Baker was trending. I'm off to change my pants, as the crap fell out of me thinking he had carked it.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Doctor Who Day!

Just look at how far...

the show has descended.

You know what's been missing? Glee. Joy. Science.

I'm sure the current series has had some wetting their knickers. I for one haven't paid it any attention, caught some crappy moments pre-Strictly. Some alien-racist remark about a dog like humanoid being "Scooby-Doo" caught me off guard, unchecked by any character.

Also, Tom Baker was trending. I'm off to change my pants, as the crap fell out of me thinking he had carked it.

Ah, a child of the Bidmead era? You poor soul!

The Weeping Angels episode was quite good, by Chibnall standards. The Sontaran one had Jonathan Watson as a Sontaran Commander, so I can't hate that. The one in between, to quote yer mate LFN (;)) was "so fucking bad, and I mean BAD!" But he was overrating it quite a lot there tbh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

Ah, a child of the Bidmead era? You poor soul!

The Weeping Angels episode was quite good, by Chibnall standards. The Sontaran one had Jonathan Watson as a Sontaran Commander, so I can't hate that. The one in between, to quote yer mate LFN (;)) was "so fucking bad, and I mean BAD!" But he was overrating it quite a lot there tbh. 

The current series is not deserving of either the lavish praise nor the unbridled censure it is receiving. Like S26 of the classic series it is something that is just heading in the right direction. It has been an alternate episode of over complex exposition followed by a competent return of an old monster. So anticipation for Sunday is limited. 

It is a bit like listening to someone tell a shaggy dog story and just desperately hope the punchline is worth it.

• Haha 1