Wormfarmer

Five4three2one Deadpool - 2019

(Edit: 25 entries were received prior to Jan 15th, the start of the game.  The game is now closed to new entries.  The monthly table is onerous enough as it is. ) 

Before entering this pool consider that it will take a bit more work throughout the year than most pools, kind of like managing a fantasy sports team.  This is a tournament of 12 rounds, each lasting a month (except the first round which will be shorter), with a cumulative score at the end determining the winner.  The first year tournament went to a playoff and was won by GCreptile (over Captain Chorizo), after scoring 27 points during the regular game.  If you played last year please read through the rules anyway as there are changes to hopefully improve and simplify it. 

The game:

Submit your monthly TEAM - a list of 5 names.  (The following is a rules update that takes effect starting with the Feb teams.)  If your list is fresh, meaning your names are the first to be posted for the month, each name is worth 5 points if they die during that month/round (and gets a QO).  If you are the second player to post a name for the month (say, Groucho Marx), you will score 4 pts for a hit/QO on Groucho.  The third team to post Groucho will score only 3 pts and so on, until the fifth team has posted Groucho, after which point he is worthless for the month.  This results in a similar distribution as last year in which a name could only be included on five lists each month (once at each point position).  Once posted, a team is set, and names cannot be changed for that month for any reason.  

At the close of January, all lists become void and new lists can be submitted for the month of February, etc.  IMPORTANT:  You can not use a name in consecutive months.  Example: If you use Billy Graham in Jan, you cannot use him again until March. 

If you get new intel about some very brown bananas, you do not need to wait until the new month to post your new list.  If you choose, you can post your next month's list early, which will be an inactive list until the next month starts.  However, once you post your next months list, your active list becomes void and you forfeit the ability to score for the rest of that month.  Which also means you forfeit your chance at the month end bonus. . . . . .(see below). So check your current team for any recent hits before you post a new team.  Once posted, you can't score with your old team.  If you choose to post a list early, and a name dies PRIOR to the start of the next round, you will be playing with a short hand for the month.  Once your team is posted to the thread, it is locked in, name changes for any rule violation or change of heart are not allowed.  

BONUS:  If you get a hit on the last day (of any month), you will triple your points for that hit.  So in this case a fresh name would score 15,  or a stale one as little as 3.  A hit on the second to last day of the month will score double pts.  Double points will also be awarded during the entire last week of December (Xmas through the 31st).  This is the only bonus of the game.  In 2018 we had several double point bonuses awarded in that last week. 

I will post monthly teams and standings, and police for rule violations only on hits.  If you hit and it turns out you violated a rule (consecutive months or 6th player to post a name that month) with that pick, you will earn no score, and again, you will not be allowed to fill the slot with a new name.  I will use Wikipedia for the dates of all deaths, and lists will be "postmarked" by the date/time they are posted to the thread. 

QO's:  Any name scored by the Derby or AO Deadpools will be scored, or if they get a QO in the Associated Press.   Also accepted this year are NY Times, LA Times, USA Today or CNN. 

Finally, to address end of tournament ties:  I hate ties.  Simply the team who achieved the high score of the tournament first will break a tie.  In other words, to overtake a leader in the game, you must surpass him/her in points, not just match. 

Good luck and I hope to see some January teams soon!  I will post my team after the first 5 or 6 teams come in. 

WF

Sample post:

WF's January team:

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Katherine Hepburn

Fidel Castro

George Burns

Groucho Marx

Edited by Wormfarmer
rules updates (also see post below)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You may enter teams any time starting now.  Game starts on Jan 15.  Hits occurring before that date will be allowed replacements. 

So far we have 25 entries this year!  More than initially signed in last year, although including the people who dropped out and those who came in late it was a few more total last year.  The game starts in a few hours, and I believe I have come up with a compromise on the rule change that has been raised.  For Jan, the lists are all good and will stand.  Beginning with the Feb lists, teams will consist of 5 names, all worth 5 points each if they are the first time the name is submitted in that month.  For example, if I post my team on Jan 27th, I lose my active Jan team, and cannot score until Feb 1 with my new Feb team.  But if I am the first to do so each of my names is worth 5 pts!  If the next team to post uses one (or more) of my names, they can do so but will only score 4 points for those names.  The next poster to use one of those names will only get 3 pts for the hit, then 2, then 1, then finally after 5 appearances, the name is worth nothing for that month.  So like last year, each name can only appear on 5 active lists per month, but if you want to try for max points, you need to post a list of 5 fresh names.  Ranking the names is no longer necessary, the order is irrelevant.  This may turn out to be a scoring disaster for me, but I think I have a way I can graphically illustrate it in the team tables I post each month.  So the incentive to post early has increased with this new rule.  A fresh team has the potential for 25 points in a month (without any bonus).  So I am also going to increase the incentive to NOT post early.  Hits incurred on the last day of the month will be worth 3X points, and those on the second to last day of the month will earn double points.  Again, wikipedia dates will be used to decide dates of death.  Since we are getting close to start time, I hope everyone is on board with this new idea and it works well.  May the trophy go to the most astute nose for death! 

Edit: The game has started!  The only other premature death that I can find (wikipedia) which can be replaced is on the list of Joey Russ, who was the first to enter and has Larry Langford.  Larry passed way back on the 8th.  Otherwise, I believe we are good to go.  

Further clarification of the above new rule:  Check your obits before you post an early team!  You must note any new score before posting, since once posted you forfeit your current active team!  Also, remember you cannot go to the same black banana in consecutive months.  One more disincentive to post too early - - starting Feb early posted teams that get a hit before the month starts canNOT be replaced with a new name.  You will play the month with a short list!  So it is a risk to post a week in advance -- your hot new name may not make it to active status!  

I will post a table soon, and may close the game to new entries.  

• Like 1

Jan Teams 5pt 4pt 3pt 2pt 1pt
Joey Russ +4 edmund capon gerard basset tim conway andrew mcgahan kathleen blanco
msc +5 gerard basset andrew mcgahan john mcririck lloyd klein karen lewis
Quim Reaper +2 noel conway niki lauda jean louis trintignant gerard basset fernando ricksen
Captain Chorizo +7 andrew mcgahan masazo nonaka gerard basset edmund capon javier perez decuellar
Grimm Reaperness leah bracknell vera lynn hosni mubarak kirk douglas prince philip
markb4 tim conway ruthie tompson kirk douglas roberta mccain julie gibson
Unknown Man johnny clegg doris day valerie harper john andretti ruth bader ginsburg
Fixed Business +6 S. swamiji leah bracknell andrew mcgahan lawrence ferlinghetti andrew fairlie
Wormfarmer +2 andrew mcgahan tim conway matt millen S. swamiji leah bracknell
theoldlady +3 alberto fujimori ed asner S. swamiji tim conway jean louis trintignant
Bibliogryphon katherine jackson hugh downs john andretti william russell john lysak
Bou1 lucia hiriart roberta mccain violet chamorro IM Pei katherine johnson
OldCrem +2 Olivia deHavilland tim conway billy connolly S swamiji kirk douglas
Sir Creep +6 dave bartholomew S. swamiji niki lauda andrew fairlie bill freehan
Newjack +3 javier perez decuellar jean louis trintignant S. swamiji niki lauda andrew mcgahan
Prophet le duc anh li rui sheila mercier pierre cardin beverly cleary
Banana niki lauda edmund capon jacci woodcock fernando ricksen johann rehbogen
Bentrovato +5 windsor davies honor blackmon garfield sobers jimmie greaves len deighton
MadHatter johnny clegg niki lauda fernando ricksen ronan keating sidney poitier
Yorkshire Banker +1 vera lynn olivia deHavilland loongkoonan beverly cleary gerard basset
Philip prince philip leah bracknell kirk douglas sophia loren billy connolly
Joe Moneypenny +2 stanley ho clarissa eden sirikit kitiyakara S. swamiji fernando ricksen
Clorox Bleachman +3 bridgit mendler jerry stiller andrew fairlie nawaz sharif S. swamiji
gcreptile fernando ricksen peter tobin andrew mcgahan edmund capon jamie spears
Death by Arsenic rosalyn carter michel piccoli rene simonot fernando ricksen michael lonsdale
Edited by Wormfarmer
3 score with A. Fairlie, lots are off to a good start!
  • Like 1

1. Edmund Capon 

2. Gerard Basset 

3. Tim Conway 

4. Andrew McGahan 

5. Kathleen Blanco

EDIT: Replaced Larry Langford who died on the 8th

1. Gerard Basset

2. Andrew McGahan

3. John McCririck

4. Lloyd Klein

5. Karen Lewis

Will give this a shot. Good luck!

Quim’s January Jumpers:

1) Noel Conway

2) Niki Lauda

3) Jean-Louis Trintignant

4) Gerard Basset

5) Fernando Ricksen

1)Andrew McGahan
2)Masazo Nonaka
3)Gerard Basset
4Edmund Capon
5)Javier Perez De Cuellar

GrimmReaperess #January Team

Leah Bracknell

Vera Lynn

Hosni Mubarek

Kirk Douglas

Prince Philip

Edited by GrimmReaperess
typo screen name

Definitely wanna try this!

So like when would be the latest you'd accept a list for February, for example? Would it be Feb. 1st itself?

Markb4's January Team:

1) Tim Conway
2) Ruthie Tompson

3) Kirk Douglas

4) Roberta McCain

5) Julie Gibson

1. Johnny Clegg

2. Doris Day

3. Valerie Harper

4. John Andretti

5. Ruth Bader Ginsburg

FixedBusiness' and his Jammin' Janurary team.

1. Sri Times Three Masterchief Shimidiveralongdong

2. Leah Bracknell

3. Andrew McGahan

4. Lawrence Ferlinghetti

5. Andrew Fairlie

3 hours ago, markb4 said:

Definitely wanna try this!

So like when would be the latest you'd accept a list for February, for example? Would it be Feb. 1st itself?

Once you are in the competition with a January entry, then future entries have no deadline.  You are only penalizing yourself for getting teams in late, as you have no chance at scoring until you do.  Last year, there were several teams that missed months entirely.  It is to your own benefit to be timely with submission of your team.  

• Like 1

WF Jan team:

Andrew McGahan

Tim Conway

Matt Millen

Shivakumara Swamiji

Leah Bracknell

Here is my January Team!

1. Alberto Fugimori

2. Ed Asner

3. Sree Sree Shivakumara Swamiji

4. Tim Conway

5. Jean-Louis Trintignant

January 2019

Katherine Jackson

Hugh Downs

John Andretti

William Russell

John Lysak

1- Lucia Hiriart

2- Roberta McCain

3- Violet Chamorro

4- IM Pei

5- Katherine Johnson

1. Olivia De Haviland

2. Tim Conway

3. Billy Connolly

4. Shivakumara Swami

5. Kirk Douglas

(In light of @FixedBusiness's team name...)

Sir Creep's New Hope Spring's Eternal January Team
Shirley Boone

Sree Sree Shivakamura Swamji

Niki Lauda

Andrew Fairlie

Bill Freehan

23 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

1. Olivia De Haviland

2. Tim Conway

3. Billy Connolly

4. Shivakumara Swami

5. Kirk Douglas

Shivakamura is already in Wormfarmer’s #4 slot. 

6 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Swap with Kirk Douglas then.

1. Javier Perez de Cuellar

2. Jean-Louis Trintignant

3. Shirley Boone

4. Niki Lauda

5. Andrew McGahan

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I thought it doesn't matter if multiple people have the same person in the same slot? I thought it only matters if you put the same person in the same slot at a future point.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, markb4 said:

I thought it doesn't matter if multiple people have the same person in the same slot? I thought it only matters if you put the same person in the same slot at a future point.

Ahhh, well you thought incorrectly.   That's the reason a person may call it quits on their monthly team early, sacrificing possible points, to make sure they get a better lineup  turned in the next month before anyone else does.

(EDIT: Well wait --  Unlike last year, there is no restriction on the number of team lists a name can appear in any month
Maybe you two are correct.... is that what this means??)

• Like 1

1. Le Duc Anh

2. Li Rui

3. Sheila Mercier

4. Pierre Cardin

5. Beverly Clearly