Sign in to follow this  
Putin

Christopher Tolkien

He is the son of J.R.R. Tolkien. He is 94 years old and drew the original maps of Middle-Earth and finished The Silmarillion after his father died, and written many other books.

• Like 1

Merged in 3, 2, 1...

Eh, I think he deserves his own topic - he's a pretty huge name when he goes, given that that'll leave the rest of the Tolkein-verse open to Netflix et al. (say what you want about Jackson, at least he was a source of the original material, and the LOTR trilogy was great filmmaking. I shudder to think what happens when Christopher is gone and the family turns the rights over to the first corp that'll pay them for it, and then in turn let a random dude direct the resultant show/movie)

5 minutes ago, CastAway said:

Eh, I think he deserves his own topic - he's a pretty huge name when he goes, given that that'll leave the rest of the Tolkein-verse open to Netflix et al. (say what you want about Jackson, at least he was a source of the original material, and the LOTR trilogy was great filmmaking. I shudder to think what happens when Christopher is gone and the family turns the rights over to the first corp that'll pay them for it, and then in turn let a random dude direct the resultant show/movie)

same thing will happen what happened to star wars

14 minutes ago, CastAway said:

Actually I think there won't be many updates between now and his death, hence why keeping this thread is useless.

There aren't many updates on anyone anymore. I miss those.

11 minutes ago, msc said:

Shivakumara Swami's thread wad updated each day. Ah, how we miss him...

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, msc said:

The result of this turning from being the DeathList forum with added DDP discussion to the DDP forum with added Deathlist discussion?

• Like 1

Some others might think differently about Christopher's management of his Father's legacy. The Jackson films are visually stunning but conceited and far too short (LOTR) or too long (The Hobbit). In addition the publication of all his Father's notes and unfinished stories is dubious at best. Does he have any involvement in the new biopic or Amazon TV series?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, msc said:

20 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The result of this turning from being the DeathList forum with added DDP discussion to the DDP forum with added Deathlist discussion?

Ah, I didn't bother posting the death of Banter on the forum, it wasn't of interest to anyone here. :(

55 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Ah, I didn't bother posting the death of Banter on the forum, it wasn't of interest to anyone here. :(

Well, it's obvious who is to blame - millenials.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Some others might think differently about Christopher's management of his Father's legacy. The Jackson films are visually stunning but conceited and far too short (LOTR) or too long (The Hobbit). In addition the publication of all his Father's notes and unfinished stories is dubious at best. Does he have any involvement in the new biopic or Amazon TV series?

IDK about the biopic, but no as far as I know about the TV series - from what I know about that, they've basically picked up the time period Tolkien wrote nothing about (from Bilbo's return to the Shire to him giving the ring to Frodo) to focus on, so that they didn't have to deal with issues relating to do book rights and all from the Tolkein estate.

As far as I know, post the war over the LOTR money, Chris T. swore he wasn't giving up any more rights for screen adaptations - Hobbit happened only because Tolkein himself had sold those rights before his death, along with those to the main trilogy.

3 hours ago, CastAway said:

IDK about the biopic, but no as far as I know about the TV series - from what I know about that, they've basically picked up the time period Tolkien wrote nothing about (from Bilbo's return to the Shire to him giving the ring to Frodo) to focus on, so that they didn't have to deal with issues relating to do book rights and all from the Tolkein estate.

As far as I know, post the war over the LOTR money, Chris T. swore he wasn't giving up any more rights for screen adaptations - Hobbit happened only because Tolkein himself had sold those rights before his death, along with those to the main trilogy.

Still doesn't absolve him of plundering his Father's unfinished works. there are probably a couple of shopping lists lying around that he could expand to a 300 page book.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Still doesn't absolve him of plundering his Father's unfinished works. there are probably a couple of shopping lists lying around that he could expand to a 300 page book.

Eh, fair enough. Still him against Hollywood rn, though, and i'm not looking forward to them screwing up the Silmarillion, which is my fave of the entire world.

• Like 1

Christopher Tolkien?

Nah, everybody is.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, charon said:

Christopher Tolkien?

Nah, everybody is.

You're in the hobbit of making bad puns.

• Haha 2

Sauron will soon make beetlejuice

Bah.  I knew I'd got him somewhere, but it was in the all-too-brief Poker pool.  :(