gcreptile

Alex Trebek

As a Brit I had never heard of Trebek before he was diagnosed but he is clearly a massive name in the US.

Much like Bob Barker.

17 minutes ago, Sean said:

As a Brit I had never heard of Trebek before he was diagnosed but he is clearly a massive name in the US.

That's kinda sad you don't get 'Jeapordy' game show.  It's the best....in a loosely intellectual way.
Wheel of Fortune for low brow entertainment.  Deal or No Deal if you live in a trailer park.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sean said:

He's in the best episode of The X-Files (Jose Chungs From Outer Space) as one of the men in black alongside Jesse Ventura.

@Sir Creep, we don't even have a British version of Jeopardy. Which is odd as US/UK gameshows usually successfully dive in the opposite direction! They tried 4 times with UK Jeopardy in the past and each time it just didn't last.

I’m gonna call it now: If he’s still around by next year, 2020 is gonna be a rough year for game show hosts. I don’t know why I think that, I just do

2 minutes ago, msc said:

He's in the best episode of The X-Files (Jose Chungs From Outer Space) as one of the men in black alongside Jesse Ventura.

@Sir Creep, we don't even have a British version of Jeopardy. Which is odd as US/UK gameshows usually successfully dive in the opposite direction! They tried 4 times with UK Jeopardy in the past and each time it just didn't last.

'UK Jeopardy' -- well hmm.  I must say, as to the two main ones I cited, the host/presenter DOES make the show in some cases.  When I was in UK 1998 first time I ever saw Who's Line is it Anyway-- LOVED it.  Then imported to US and Drew Fucking Carey hosted -- unwatchable.
Only show I can think of where both UK and US versions are top drawer is The Office.   I had my doubts about our version cuz I knew yours...but it worked needless to say.  
SC

Britain's failure to ever adapt Jeopardy properly has always been an oddity. Wonder if now we're in the "golden age" of British daytime quiz shows it might have more heft, it was always out of place up against the more light entertainment-led affairs of 80s and 90s British TV.

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Is the Pyramid game the same as Jeopardy or did that have its own US version?

No that was $100,000 Pyramid.  I think later called 'Pyramid'.   I'm certain you would know the look of the game board for Jeopardy, prolly a meme somewhere.  The Pyramid was...well...a pyramid? lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

No that was $100,000 Pyramid.  I think later called 'Pyramid'.   I'm certain you would know the look of the game board for Jeopardy, prolly a meme somewhere.  The Pyramid was...well...a pyramid? lol

Just had a look at the board and I do not recall seeing a UK version.

The only one I can think of that might have been close was Paul Daniels Odd One Out

It would be an interesting comparison of US and UK versions of Quiz shows.

Yeah... banal platitude no.1:

I'm not sure he even makes 2020.

There can only be one RBG.

21 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

'UK Jeopardy' -- well hmm.  I must say, as to the two main ones I cited, the host/presenter DOES make the show in some cases.  When I was in UK 1998 first time I ever saw Who's Line is it Anyway-- LOVED it.  Then imported to US and Drew Fucking Carey hosted -- unwatchable.
Only show I can think of where both UK and US versions are top drawer is The Office.   I had my doubts about our version cuz I knew yours...but it worked needless to say.  
SC

The host definitely makes the show. You think anyone ever's going to watch Play Your Cards Right if it was Joe Bloggs hosting it and not Bruce Forsyth?

There was a show about 15 years ago called Perfect Recall, which was so simple, it'd be a chore to watch, except the late Terry Wogan was hosting it, and thus it became quite entertaining.

Apparently in the UK they tried Jeopardy with the following hosts: Derek Hobson (before my time), Steve Jones (a voice over artist who once worked with Lonnie Donegan),  Paul Ross (Jonathan's less famous brother) and a guy called Chris Donat who doesn't even have a Wiki page! Never mind Alex Trebek, they aren't even Dale Wintons...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^^^^the ultimate example being Deal Or No Deal which, for all Noel's many, many, many (many, many, many, many) faults was perfectly suited to his earnest, homeopathy capitalism. Would never have worked with someone playing it for laughs or a knowing wink.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

The host definitely makes the show. You think anyone ever's going to watch Play Your Cards Right if it was Joe Bloggs hosting it and not Bruce Forsyth?

There was a show about 15 years ago called Perfect Recall, which was so simple, it'd be a chore to watch, except the late Terry Wogan was hosting it, and thus it became quite entertaining.

Apparently in the UK they tried Jeopardy with the following hosts: Derek Hobson (before my time), Steve Jones (a voice over artist who once worked with Lonnie Donegan),  Paul Ross (Jonathan's less famous brother) and a guy called Chris Donat who doesn't even have a Wiki page! Never mind Alex Trebek, they aren't even Dale Wintons...

Bruce Forsyth, Bob Monkhouse and Terry Wogan were all masters of their format. You may not like them but appreciate what they did. You Bet was something that was almost only suited to BF like an ITV Generation Game.

Was Bob's Full House based on an American Game Show?

13 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Bruce Forsyth, Bob Monkhouse and Terry Wogan were all masters of their format. You may not like them but appreciate what they did. You Bet was something that was almost only suited to BF like an ITV Generation Game.

Was Bob's Full House based on an American Game Show?

The opposite - there was an American game show, Trump Card, developed from the show.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

That's kinda sad you don't get 'Jeapordy' game show.  It's the best....in a loosely intellectual way.
Wheel of Fortune for low brow entertainment.  Deal or No Deal if you live in a trailer park.

Yeah I tune into Jeopardy every night since I love the fast barrage of trivia and that sense of both testing how much you already know and further expanding your knowledge boundaries. The "figure out 5-6 phrases an episode" of Wheel not quite my style.

I'll still watch regularly once it's post-Trebek but Jeopardy def won't be the same by then, he's had such an endurant, steady presence that helps define the show.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Undergoing another round of chemotherapy: 

Shocked to hear about this. Definitely Drop 40 material if he makes the starting line next year.

If we're talking about Jeopardy candidates, has anyone considered Johnny Gilbert? Purely age related - he's gone 90. That he's still announcing says he's in decent health, but at that age, being old is a legitimate cause of death.

• Like 1

I actually think Clive James would've made a good jeopardy UK host.  Not sure if he ever done a show like that though. Roy Walker is another.  Both can't now obviously and basically it's a hypothetical. 

Doomed by family cancer curse, according to the national enquirer.

Might as well struggle to make it to the starting line next year.

On 17/09/2019 at 11:15, ajlposh said:

I’m gonna call it now: If he’s still around by next year, 2020 is gonna be a rough year for game show hosts. I don’t know why I think that, I just do

If Bob Barker passes next year give this man a medal.