gcreptile

Alex Trebek

16 minutes ago, CastAway said:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/nation-world/2019/10/11/im-nearing-the-end-of-my-life-alex-trebek-says-hes-not-afraid-to-die-as-cancer-grows/

Says he's not afraid to die, is nearing the end of his life, and that the tumours are worse than ever

This contrasts the optimism he had when he first announced his diagnosis. I don't think he'll see 2020, or if he does, it'll only be a few weeks/months :(

6 hours ago, mollyafox said:

This contrasts the optimism he had when he first announced his diagnosis. I don't think he'll see 2020, or if he does, it'll only be a few weeks/months :(

Yeah, and it sucks - there's so few truly wholesome celebs out there, and it we're losing another one in front of our eyes. It's with people like him that I sometimes wonder about the celeb stalking the media does these days and the effect on readers - is it better to watch a beloved hero deteriorate before your eyes, or wake up one day utterly blindsided? A thought, anyhow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mollyafox said:

Think we know who'll be debuting in the drop 40 in 2020 should he make it.  Be interesting to see if more people pick him than Leah Bracknell. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Think we know who'll be debuting in the drop 40 in 2020 should he make it.  Be interesting to see if more people pick him than Leah Bracknell. 

Ah, man - you had to remind me my DDP joker will have the last laugh on and she'll start next year's DDP.

4 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Ah, man - you had to remind me my DDP joker will have the last laugh on and she'll start next year's DDP.

Off topic for the thread, but I stand by my doubts re: Bracknell even having cancer to begin with.

6 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

I want to drop Leah from my list  in 2020 but I just can't. :scratchhead:

1 minute ago, CastAway said:

Off topic for the thread, but I stand by my doubts re: Bracknell even having cancer to begin with.

So IYHO she's a nut-job attention sponge, or summat.

Do you ring Louis Theroux or do I?

I thought Bracknell would fall a few spots down the Drop 40 this year, but she held pretty steady... Trebek will be up very high if he makes it, but will be behind Bracknell, Kirk, Phil, and Clive, methinks.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

So IYHO she's a nut-job attention sponge, or summat.

Do you ring Louis Theroux or do I?

So I was exaggerating, but I do wonder if she overblew her prognosis all jokes aside. She's been a month from death for what, 3-4 years now? Either that or it was bad, the cancer went into remission, and she just decided not to let people know about the remission part.

So nut-job attention sponge sounds about right, only to a lesser degree.

18 hours ago, Death Impends said:

I thought Bracknell would fall a few spots down the Drop 40 this year, but she held pretty steady... Trebek will be up very high if he makes it, but will be behind Bracknell, Kirk, Phil, and Clive, methinks.

Depends on how many more similar interviews he does before the year's up, IMO. D40 is part who's the most ill and dying and part here's a famous person that will be picked regardless of health, and Trebek ticks both those boxes better than the rest in terms of worldwide. Now, no one actually wants him to die unlike some of the random D40 names (*cough*trump*cough*), but the more he comes out and says he's basically cooked, the more people will go for him over the rest - and by this I mean casual teams, not the lot of us constantly on the forums discussing D40 names.

Bracknell has the benefit of being on teams this year. There is a good body of DDP casual players who just pick the names they've heard of that were in the Drop 40/winning teams last year, even beyond the straight-up Diana Rots graverobbing.

Yeah, case in point McCain was even bigger than Trebek and was just as obviously on the way out but he still was only the 6th most popular DDP pick last year (behind the four I mentioned previously and Bush Sr).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ajlposh said:

He says that, the Reaper's plans are TBC but likely predictable.

Trebek is virtually unknown in the UK and the majority of DDP are based here. So he is at an disadvantage.

On the contrary, not saying he is a household name (because he blatantly isn't), but I've always been quite surprised by Trebek's level of known status in the UK for someone who never had a UK TV show. Even my mum who never uses the internet is aware of him, thanks to 30 odd years of US TV imports referencing him or featuring guest appearances.

In terms of the DDP, anyone vaguely notable the whole forum here is aware of having Stage IV pancreatic cancer is immediately at an advantage of reaching the Drop 40, over a new candidate who isn't. :lol:

There's only a 20 % chance that he'll still be alive next March.Thats the one year survival rate for all stages  combined of pancreatic cancer apparantely.Being diagnosed at stage 4 it's probably even less than 20 % 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 15/10/2019 at 04:33, msc said:

On the contrary, not saying he is a household name (because he blatantly isn't), but I've always been quite surprised by Trebek's level of known status in the UK for someone who never had a UK TV show. Even my mum who never uses the internet is aware of him, thanks to 30 odd years of US TV imports referencing him or featuring guest appearances.

Older readers may recall “The Great American Game Shows” on the Lifestyle channel in the early days of satellite TV. He was a regular  as the host of “Classic Concentration”. 

On 06/03/2019 at 17:06, Sean said:

Well that is the number 1 spot for DL  2021 if he makes it.