Paul Bearer

R Dean Taylor

Listening to "There's a ghost in my house" looked him up on google. Eighty years old in May.  Nothing health wise known (yet). 

Thought I'd start a thread for him, he'll definitely get a QO. 

8 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Listening to "There's a ghost in my house" looked him up on google. Eighty years old in May.  Nothing health wise known (yet). 

Thought I'd start a thread for him, he'll definitely get a QO. 

Strangely I just had that track on as I drove home tonight.

Was he not the first white artiste to be signed up by those Motown folk?

A Northern soul legend!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

A Northern soul legend!

I believe he was. 

A Ghost in my house

Indiana Wants Me

Gotta See Jane

Classics one and all.

• Like 2

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Heef said:

A Ghost in my house

Indiana Wants Me

Gotta See Jane

Classics one and all.

Window shopping. 

13 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

A Northern soul legend!

In the US he was signed to Motown's rock subsidiary label, Rare Earth, and which also had the US rights to some UK acts such as Pretty Things. Due to delays in getting that imprint set up in the UK, his releases here initially appeared on Tamla Motown until these trademark issues could be sorted.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

A Northern soul legend!

I think he was the first white artist to be signed by Motown but that Neil Young - yeah, seriously - beat him to being the first white guy contracted to Motown because Neil Young was briefly in Rick James' backing band

• Like 1

The first white record "released" on Motown was Nick & The Jaguars “Ich-i-bon #1”, although they never signed a full deal with Gordy. It really doesn't sound like a Motown track:

Started singing the hook to "WAP" in an R Dean Taylor voice, googled and then found out "there's some hoes in this house" is a direct reference to "there's a ghost in my house". So that's something.

On 16/03/2019 at 13:28, maryportfuncity said:

I think he was the first white artist to be signed by Motown but that Neil Young - yeah, seriously - beat him to being the first white guy contracted to Motown because Neil Young was briefly in Rick James' backing band

I always liked their cover of Boys Don't Cry

Twitterers are reporting him dead. Likely he is as an unlikely target for a hoax.

Highest position was Indiana Wants Me, which reached #2 in June 1971 (Ghost In My House reached #3):

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Classic tune, Indiana Wants Me. Though first time I heard it was while driving, so the police closing in on him scared me shitless at first!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tweeters have been reporting him dead for at least 6 hours but there is not a single news article reporting it. Seems like a death hoax.

• Facepalm 1

There's no formal obit around. A bit too early for a "dead" tag, though I don't doubt it's true.

1 hour ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Tweeters have been reporting him dead for at least 6 hours but there is not a single news article reporting it. Seems like a death hoax.

You're aware that when news of his death broke on Twitter, it was the middle of the night in the U.S?

He's hardly breaking news territory worthy of journos jumping on their keyboards at 4am for. Give the media time.

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You're aware that when news of his death broke on Twitter, it was the middle of the night in the U.S?

He's hardly breaking news territory worthy of journos jumping on their keyboards at 4am for. Give the media time.

Then surely it should be all over US news networks by now.

9 minutes ago, Deathtreat23 said:

Then surely it should be all over US news networks by now.

He had one "big" hit in the States, that got to #5 way back in 1970. He's NY Times obit within 24-48 hours territory, but not breaking news material.

I mean, could be worse. Mitchell Torok had a #1 US Country hit and a UK #6 and his death went completely unnoticed in November 2017 bar a few comments here and there. To this date, no obit.

Come on, this guy is no Sidney Potter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

He had one "big" hit in the States, that got to #5 way back in 1970. He's NY Times obit within 24-48 hours territory, but not breaking news material.

I mean, could be worse. Mitchell Torok had a #1 US Country hit and a UK #6 and his death went completely unnoticed in November 2017 bar a few comments here and there. To this date, no obit.

Bobby Lewis also comes to mind, having hit big in the US with "Tossin' and Turnin'", which wasn't only a No. 1 but even topped Billboard's year-end chart.

No UK success, but you'd think the above would still translate to a reasonably quick US acknowledgment of his death. Instead, he waited a month and a half for acknowledgement from any major sources.

• Like 1

The original source of the news of his death is Facebook, a post from Chuck Brucato, his close friend and one of his colleagues at Rare Earth Records (a subsidiary of Motown).

If any of the above users want to claim "hoax", I suggest you DM him saying that and see what kind of response you get. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1