charon

Game of Thrones

Well, Diana Rigg's death deserves an annotation here too, since Olenna Tyrell was her last famous role.

• Sad 1

Been binge watching GoT.  Didn't recognise her at all, mind you, I wasn't looking for her.  I tend not to read the intro's at the start of the programmes. In the last 3 weekends I've caught up to series 6 episode 3. 

1 minute ago, Paul Bearer said:

Been binge watching GoT.  Didn't recognise her at all, mind you, I wasn't looking for her.  I tend not to read the intro's at the start of the programmes. In the last 3 weekends I've caught up to series 6 episode 3. 

I love this little scene  :lol:

• Like 1

I thought there might be a thread for "Unpopular Opinions", but I can't see one, so here it goes.

I've finally got around to watching S8 again, this time on blu-ray. 

This time I thought it was superb.  Not perfect, but better than I remembered.

The one major niggle I still have is that they skipped the aftermath of

Spoiler

the death of Daenerys

and went straight to the council meeting, or whatever you want to call it.  I still think we needed to see what happened in between, hear what was said, and see why certain people

Spoiler

were imprisoned, and not executed by Grey Worm.  I think the episode should have ended with Drogon flying off with the body of Daenerys.

It really needed an extra episode.  The aftermath, and then the preparations for the council meeting and the meeting itself could have been expanded.  There were nameless characters there who were never explained.  Who was the "new Prince of Dorne", for instance?  

As for what happened, I've never had any problem with that.  I think most of the backlash came from people who wanted a different end to the story. 

We did get an early hint from Ramsay Bolton  :D

Three episodes of House Of The Dragon and really....it's pish.

I was trying to think, why don't I like this? I think there is a total lack of any sympathetic characters, they all seem to be cunts in one way or another, and there's certainly no clever lines or any sort of charm in any of the rogues.

And yet I'll probably sit through more, hoping for better.

Never seen the show. Worth watching?

Even with the final season that I've heard so many negative things about?

Think I'll wait for worse weather to give it a try.

@MortalCaso I thought the final season was... okay. There's definitely a loss in quality though once the show runs out of books to cover.

• Like 1

I was late to the original Game of Thrones, but as it was free for lockdown I downloaded and bingewatched.

Awesome - though I found the ending almost unwatchable. I think there was a good contrast between yer ordinary folk and the machinations of the royal houses and the interlinking of that story throughout made it work.

Dragon House focuses too much on the machinations so far, and everyone, yes everyone, is an irredeemable bastard. So far...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I thought the final season was... okay. There's definitely a loss in quality though once the show runs out of books to cover.

There's a loss in quality in the later books as well.  And because the books weren't finished, the show ended up with too many loose ends and things remaining unexplained.  But there's only one person to blame for that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Three episodes of House Of The Dragon and really....it's pish.

I was trying to think, why don't I like this? I think there is a total lack of any sympathetic characters, they all seem to be cunts in one way or another, and there's certainly no clever lines or any sort of charm in any of the rogues.

And yet I'll probably sit through more, hoping for better.

It's very watchable, but it doesn't have the breadth of Game Of Thrones.  By this point we had met many more characters in GoT and visited more locations.

I'm missing the humour, and still waiting for memorable lines which GoT had in abundance from the start.

@MortalCaso  Yes, you should watch GoT.  It's really good.

• Like 2