Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

Tony Slattery

Oft-discussed around these parts, there's a big Guardian interview with the scourge of early 90s British comedy here. What we learn that's new: he's no longer doing cocaine, he is still drinking heavily ("I need that half bottle of vodka"), his leg is covered in lesions from "some kind of cirrhosis", he's no longer taking psychiatric medication, he's returning to the stage for the Edinburgh Fringe, he has absolutely no money and he was nonced by a priest as a kid. Oh, and "he just hopes he makes it to his 60th". Which is in November.

• Like 1

Never thought he was that funny. Talented I'd say, but comedy....nah! As far as that class goes, only slightly less overrated than Josie Lawrence, who had two buttons she could press...little girl or Northern. And let's face it, 99 per cent of Southern English comics have used Northern as their go to since the Romans invented roads.

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Never thought he was that funny. Talented I'd say, but comedy....nah! As far as that class goes, only slightly less overrated than Josie Lawrence, who had two buttons she could press...little girl or Northern. And let's face it, 99 per cent of Southern English comics have used Northern as their go to since the Romans invented roads.

I adore Josie Lawrence I was fortunate enough to see her in an RSC production of The Taming if the Shrew. 

She is in the cast of the new Good Omens series.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I adore Josie Lawrence I was fortunate enough to see her in an RSC production of The Taming if the Shrew. 

She is in the cast of the new Good Omens series.

I don't think she's funny though. Was she funny in The Taming?

Thanks for the warning about Good Omens, though, whatever that is. I'd hate to accidentally take an interest in something she's in! :lol:

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

It is weird, Twitter is full of people doing the "Oh I adored him as a teenager/child/whatever," when I'm sure 99.9% of the world's population used to schedule 1990s viewings of Whose Line around whether or not it was a majority American panel and Stiles & Mochrie were there to drag matters up.

Thread can also be used for Mike McShane, who I'm stunned is still alive.

• Like 2

OK was going to say "I quite liked him as an actor", only to Google him... Apparently I have been mistaking Manic Friend of Stephen Fry Whose Line alumnus John Sessions for Manic Friend of Stephen Fry Whose Line alumnus Tony Slattery. Oops.

4 minutes ago, msc said:

OK was going to say "I quite liked him as an actor", only to Google him... Apparently I have been mistaking Manic Friend of Stephen Fry Whose Line alumnus John Sessions for Manic Friend of Stephen Fry Whose Line alumnus Tony Slattery. Oops.

John Sessions...now there's a talent.

If you go back and watch how funny he is in Whose Line... then also look at his dramatic work, well there's no comparison with Slattery et al.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

If you go back and watch how funny he is in Whose Line... then also look at his dramatic work, well there's no comparison with Slattery et al.

John Sessions stand up was terrible but he was so good as Dr Prunesquallor in the BBC adaptation of Gormanghast I was blown away.

Good Omens is the Amazon Prime/BBC adaptation of the Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett comic novel about the Apocalypse. It has David Tennant and Michael Sheèn as a demon and angel who team up because it will threaten the life on earth they are actually enjoying. 

• Thanks 1

Can somebody be arsed doing a list of a Who’s Line Is It Anyway lineup with living/dead split, DOBs, health etc?

I can’t. Soz.

I've gone through a list of all 136 original UK episodes of Whose Line.... surely Peter Cook can't be the only person that was on the show who's now dead? US version had Robin Williams in an episode, plus a few novelty guests who turned up that are now dead as well (Chyna, Hugh Hefner, Florence Henderson).

• Thanks 1

Give George Wendt and Chris Langham time...

I liked Paul Merton and Stephen Frost best of the UK WLIIA players.

On 29/04/2019 at 15:37, YoungWillz said:

Stella Street was great as well 

• Like 1

He's on This Week tonight. Now. I gather.

On 29/04/2019 at 15:16, YoungWillz said:

Josie Lawrence grew up only a couple of streets away from where I live. She used to come back regularly until her mum passed away a few years ago. She's a Brummie through and through

She used to go in my uncles shop and had turned on the Xmas lights one year in my town

• Like 1

Everyone is different, everyone's sense of humour has a slight twist to it. Josie leaves me cold, not to say many others do find her hilarious. I will say imo she's not that great on Just A Minute, you'd have thought she'd have picked up summat from Paul Merton after all these years.

Back to Slattery, slurring words, forgetful and fat. Proposing redo of WLIIA at Edinburgh this year, not sure how grand he'll be at improv given his performance tonight. Josie's going and he is trying to get Mike McShane. Those thinking of picking him in the future might want to invest in tickets.

Anyone prepared to watch the documentary on him that was on last night to provide a form check?

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 19:13, Ulitzer95 said:

Can somebody be arsed doing a list of a Who’s Line Is It Anyway lineup with living/dead split, DOBs, health etc?

I can’t. Soz.

Well, I haven't done a list in ages. Might as well give it a go, though I'll probably stick it in the Comedy thread. And for a few of those, comedy is stretching it....

4 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Anyone prepared to watch the documentary on him that was on last night to provide a form check?

Never in a million years! :lol: 

I can only hope Slattery and Coogan go on one of those road trips. You know, the one where you drive a car. Into the sea.

• Like 2

On 10/05/2019 at 00:44, YoungWillz said:

Everyone is different, everyone's sense of humour has a slight twist to it. Josie leaves me cold, not to say many others do find her hilarious. I will say imo she's not that great on Just A Minute, you'd have thought she'd have picked up summat from Paul Merton after all these years.

Back to Slattery, slurring words, forgetful and fat. Proposing redo of WLIIA at Edinburgh this year, not sure how grand he'll be at improv given his performance tonight. Josie's going and he is trying to get Mike McShane. Those thinking of picking him in the future might want to invest in tickets.

McShane - fat as fuck decades ago, 64 now - thanks for the reminder that he remains alive and obitable!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

McShane - fat as fuck decades ago, 64 now - thanks for the reminder that he remains alive and obitable!

Didn't he lose a lot of weight, or am I confusing him with someone else?

49 minutes ago, Toast said:

Didn't he lose a lot of weight, or am I confusing him with someone else?

He did. Check out the Angels Take Manhattan episode of Doctor Who but that is now nearly eight years ago.

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

He did. Check out the Angels Take Manhattan episode of Doctor Who but that is now nearly eight years ago.

Last summer

p07hy5pf.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, msc said:

Last summer

p07hy5pf.jpg

I would never of recognised him.  In the 90's he looked like he could drop dead any day.  Now he looks very healty

29 minutes ago, Wee Jum said:

I would never of recognised him.  In the 90's he looked like he could drop dead any day.  Now he looks very healty

I didn't realise he was the guy in that Dr Who until Biblio's post.

• Like 1