Sign in to follow this  
Paul Bearer

Lisbon Lions

After the death of Billy McNeill last week, Stevie Chalmers joined him today. 

Thought i'd create a thread for them. 

Remaining survivors

John Clarke

Bobby Lennox

Bertie Auld

Jim Craig

Willie Wallace.

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:31, Paul Bearer said:

After the death of Billy McNeill last week, Stevie Chalmers joined him today. 

Thought i'd create a thread for them. 

Remaining survivors

John Clarke

Bobby Lennox

Bertie Auld

Jim Craig

Willie Wallace.

Not that I want to encourage a poll or owt...but can't help noticing there are less of the Lions of 67 than there are the Wingless Wonders of 66.

Game on

Or summat

7 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Not that I want to encourage a poll or owt...but can't help noticing there are less of the Lions of 67 than there are the Wingless Wonders of 66.

Game on

Or summat

5 pensioner Glaswegian men vs one "survived a plane crash" Bobby Charlton. Bit unfair. :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

5 pensioner Glaswegian men vs one "survived a plane crash" Bobby Charlton. Bit unfair. :D

There is still Harry Gregg from the Munich plane Crash and Nobby Stiles will outlive everyone from the 66 team at this rate

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Well...fair few smokers in both teams, all of them old enough to have headed heavy leather balls. Thought Gordon Banks might have been a ringer because goalies don't head the ball much but he's let his team down on this one. 

Some reason this team was singled out?  Are we going to have to endure you (plural pronoun omitted) singling out every Cup winning team now?  We have a thread, use it. 

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Some reason this team was singled out?  Are we going to have to endure you (plural pronoun omitted) singling out every Cup winning team now?  We have a thread, use it. 

Yes, it's a singular thread. The Lisbon Lions were the first team in the uk to win the European Cup. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

Yes, it's a singular thread. The Lisbon Lions were the first team in the uk to win the European Cup. 

A feat all the more remarkable when you consider the furthest travelled of them still came from less than 30 miles from Glasgow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

A feat all the more remarkable when you consider the furthest travelled of them still came from less than 30 miles from Glasgow.

And they were all Portuguese?  :evil2:

Strictly speaking, Charlie Gallagher wasn't a Lisbon Lion, but apparently helped them. 

Former Celtic midfielder Charlie Gallagher, part of the legendary Lisbon Lions' 1967 European Cup-winning squad, has died at the age of 80.

Gallagher played 171 games for the Glasgow club, scoring 32 goals, in a 12-year spell from 1958.

As well as helping Celtic become the first British team to secure European Cup success, he won three league titles, a League Cup and Scottish Cup.

Celtic have paid tribute to "a hugely popular figure amongst the support".

Gallagher spent the final seasons of his playing career with Dumbarton before returning to Celtic as a scout for two years and later worked as a taxi driver.

He played his part in Celtic's run to European Cup glory, with his corner headed home by Billy McNeill to defeat Vojvodina in the quarter-final.

Gallagher missed out on a starting place for the final against Inter Milan in Lisbon, but the club notes "he celebrated that triumph with his team-mates and has always been rightly acknowledged as part of the Lisbon Lions squad".

Born in Glasgow to parents from Donegal, he was the first Scotland-born player to represent the Republic of Ireland, earning two caps.

"The thoughts and prayers of the whole Celtic family are with Charlie's wife, Mary, his children and grandchildren, and all his family and friends," said Celtic's statement.

"Charlie's contribution to his beloved Celtic over 12 years was immense, and he would become an integral part of the squad which achieved great things both in Scotland and in Europe under the stewardship of Jock Stein.

"His many achievements for Celtic will always be remembered.

"The Celtic players will wear black armbands on Wednesday night when they play Bristol City as a mark of respect for the Celtic great."

Tournament football suggests everyone who at least played for the team in the competition is anointed with the win?

Otherwise Jimmy Greaves is a nobody who had a pretty good domestic career. :lol:

The Lisbon is also is the name of a brilliant and utterly unique  gay bar in Liverpool too. So when I read the phrase the Lisbon lions some quite different images sprang into my mind than what was meant by the OP....!:lol:

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

The Lisbon is also is the name of a brilliant and utterly unique  gay bar in Liverpool too. 

That'll cheer up the Celtic supporters.  

• Haha 1

After he retired he opened a cafe and I remember reading that on offer was the Yogi Breakfast - double egg, double bacon, double sausage, double tattie scone etc. etc.

If you didn't think you could eat all that there was an option for single portions of everything - known as the Boo-Boo Breakfast!

16 minutes ago, The Happy Reaper said:

After he retired he opened a cafe and I remember reading that on offer was the Yogi Breakfast - double egg, double bacon, double sausage, double tattie scone etc. etc.

If you didn't think you could eat all that there was an option for single portions of everything - known as the Boo-Boo Breakfast!

Please don't tell me I'm the only person who read that and thought it sounded like your standard fry up? :D

• Haha 1

d5f12090-dcdf-11ec-be84-63dc6592c6cf.jpg.6812808974126cdc0d481fadb1547ae7.jpg

John "Yogi" Hughes just 2 months before his death, at an event celebrating the 55th anniversary of the Lisbon Lions win. From left to right are Hughes, Bobby Lennox, Jim Craig and John Clark. Willie Wallace is the only surviving Lion who wasn't at that event.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

d5f12090-dcdf-11ec-be84-63dc6592c6cf.jpg.6812808974126cdc0d481fadb1547ae7.jpg

John "Yogi" Hughes just 2 months before his death, at an event celebrating the 55th anniversary of the Lisbon Lions win. From left to right are Hughes, Bobby Lennox, Jim Craig and John Clark. Willie Wallace is the only surviving Lion who wasn't at that event.

My money is on the guy on the right being the last survivor!