Sign in to follow this  
Paul Bearer

Ron Mael

After the death of Doris Day, the rumourmongers have come out the woodwork.  There were rumours going on for years that Doris was his (and brother Russell's ) real mum.  Utter bollocks we know, but at 73 and built like a racing snake might be worth a punt.  

It'll be a very sad day in the music industry when he pops off.

• Like 1

Yes, not many Hitler lookalikes left who can also play the keyboard.

Do you think they'll have this at his funeral?  I want it at mine.

• Like 2

Man, don't do that to me!

He's okay. Clean living by rock/pop standards (both Sparks brothers), so far as the "rumour mill" goes anyway. The one thing that makes the Sparks brothers unusual in that dept. is their protection of their privacy. Allegedly because there is nothing there by way of drugs, sex etc. that would make them interesting so they've gone the enigmatic route.

9 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Man, don't do that to me!

He's okay. Clean living by rock/pop standards (both Sparks brothers), so far as the "rumour mill" goes anyway. The one thing that makes the Sparks brothers unusual in that dept. is their protection of their privacy. Allegedly because there is nothing there by way of drugs, sex etc. that would make them interesting so they've gone the enigmatic route.

They're not the Sparks brothers. Russell was very adamant they won't be called that as the record studio wanted them to be known as the Sparks brothers, he said it sounded too much like the Marx Brothers and he didn't want that, so they agreed on the name Sparks. 

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

They're not the Sparks brothers. Russell was very adamant they won't be called that as the record studio wanted them to be known as the Sparks brothers, he said it sounded too much like the Marx Brothers and he didn't want that, so they agreed on the name Sparks. 

Indeed and my little ramble on the subject was partly an attempt to smoke out any fellow Sparks fans who'd feel the need to share the post you shared! Can't say I'm massively in that camp myself but do have a real fondness for the albums between Kimono my House and Introducing... awesome art rock dressed up as pop and sometimes so out there - It Ain't 1918 - that it's gleefully surreal.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Indeed and my little ramble on the subject was partly an attempt to smoke out any fellow Sparks fans who'd feel the need to share the post you shared! Can't say I'm massively in that camp myself but do have a real fondness for the albums between Kimono my House and Introducing... awesome art rock dressed up as pop and sometimes so out there - It Ain't 1918 - that it's gleefully surreal.

"Don't leave me alone with her" is my personal favourite.  I could go on as I've got all their albums/cd's whatever with the exception of "The seduction of Ingmar Bergman".  I don't suppose you have a spare copy lying about you don't really want/listen to? 

5 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

"Don't leave me alone with her" is my personal favourite.  I could go on as I've got all their albums/cd's whatever with the exception of "The seduction of Ingmar Bergman".  I don't suppose you have a spare copy lying about you don't really want/listen to? 

That one, tragically, no. Not even an illegally ripped copy I could transfer.

The past 6-7 years i've seen him in concert 3 times (twice with sparks, once with FFS), he looks almost unchanged compared to the eighties. Back in the days he was an old man, but by now he looks young for his age.

(And gotta say.. their last album Hippopotamus is on par with their best albums, Missionary Position is for example as good as a sparks track can get)

57 minutes ago, I.R.Baboon said:

Missionary Position is for example as good as a sparks track can get

That's hilarious  :lol:

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

That's hilarious  :lol:

Too right it is, if you miss the fact they're funny you don't get Sparks. The same - incidentally - is true of The Smiths

Really enjoying this thread on the main forum dedicated to a guy with no known health issues!

• Like 1

Whilst I agree with the missionary position, the outstanding track on the album is " Life with the McBeths" need to give it a few listens though.  Stunning track. 

On 14 May 2019 at 21:21, Paul Bearer said:

On 14 May 2019 at 21:28, maryportfuncity said:

With grateful thanks to @Cat O'FalkI now have 'The seduction' downloaded.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

With grateful thanks to @Cat O'FalkI now have 'The seduction' downloaded.  

Aye, the man's a ledge when it comes to sharing the love.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, the man's a ledge when it comes to sharing the love.

You got it too?

Thought I'd drag this one up again if only just to say the cd will be available at the end of the month.  Ordered from Amazon if you're interested. 

On 14 May 2019 at 21:21, Paul Bearer said:

On 14 May 2019 at 21:28, maryportfuncity said:

• Like 1

I saw the Maels last month in Amsterdam. Russell's voice was so good I was slightly sceptical whether he was lip-syncing (but it was too convincing for that). He was still running around and jumping. Ron looked well.. just as geriatic as 40 years ago, but his Ron dance was still impressive (and slighly frightning the moment I imagined he was a giant puppet with a puppeteer somewhere high in the ceiling). Someone in the audience next to me was convinced I was Rons secret son. Not sure what to think about that.

edit: have to add their last album is really good as well! And whilst this wasn't the best track on the album, the subject and the video make The Existential Threat a must share on this forums:

• Like 2

I don't know much about any of Sparks current health, but tbh I am amazed a proper big name celeb has survived 3 years since Paul Bearer created their thread. That's usually the kiss of death!

I'm surprised neither has been murdered yet for crimes against music.

• Haha 1