Joey Russ

Who will win the Democratic Nomination for President in 2020?

Who’s going to win the nomination   

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, DeathClock said:

John Hickenlooper is expected to end his presidential campaign and run for senate.

The breakfast cereal should retire from politics after his run rather than seek the senate seat. 

36 minutes ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Confirmed.

4 down, 22 to go.

Shame that we won’t get to see the first breakfast cereal as President this time around. 

Jay Inslee suspends his campaign. A little surprising since he recently crossed the donor threshold, but never really gained traction in the polls. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

Seth Moulton

I used to have one of his bikes.

(a lame gag based on ddp thread and not knowing who all these people are)

• Haha 1

In some news not related to the democratic primary, Joe Walsh is primarying Trump. Yeah, that will go well...

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

In some news not related to the democratic primary, Joe Walsh is primarying Trump. Yeah, that will go well...

So, for the benefit of casual browswers this is Walsh (Republican) not to be confused with the rock star and long-term member of The Eagles who once stood for president as a joke. This Walsh is a Tea Party stylee Republican who - if anything - is more Trump than Trump

Sound-bite: " The country is sick of this guy's [Trump's]  tantrum -- he's a child," said Walsh, who was elected to the House in the 2010 Tea Party wave, but only served one term before becoming a conservative talk radio host."

• Like 1

Having finally voted despite - frankly - thinking the whole thing too fluid to call I've got a glimpse of the fact my call (Mayor Pete) is sitting on 9.38% of the current vote hereabouts

9 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

not to be confused with the rock star

Now you tell me. I've been humming "Life's been good" for the last ten minutes.

"My Maserati does 185, I lost my licence so now I don't drive..."

ETA: I've voted Bernie because:

A @Toast I've heard of him.

B I've actually read some of his proposals and like what he stands for

C @RadGuy is a fan as per @msc.

There, that's my tagging quota for the year used up in one post.

• Like 2

I picked Warren to win. imo the two old guys will tire out, and there's only 2 or 3 (tops) other folk it can be. A stats pick. Hah.

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

not to be confused with the rock star

Well, damn.  I fucking love Joe Walsh, especially for this.

• Haha 1

For those of you considering to vote or support for Elizabeth Warren for president, I might consider read this article from the NYT before you go decide to support her. It’s really troubling in my eyes, and it just shows me that Bernie Sanders is clearly the only candidate worth supporting in the race.

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

For those of you considering to vote or support for Elizabeth Warren for president, I might consider read this article from the NYT before you go decide to support her. It’s really troubling in my eyes, and it just shows me that Bernie Sanders is clearly the only candidate worth supporting in the race.

Ok, so I got beyond the paywall.

Warren has

- reassured donors she wont start a Communist revolution

- reassuring the party bosses she isn't going to start a new party, or be too dangerous to support.

- wants to win the House and Senate as well as the Presidency so she can actually do stuff in power.

- is schmoozing/winning over the superdelegates, much in the way Bernie didn't.

- is already ground campaigning in key states.

What evil!!!!

Seriously, this is what competent politicians running for Office do. It's what all the huge reformers in history did. FDR schmoozed, bribed and compromised his way to the New Deal. Attlee did the same in creating the NHS and welfare state. Hitler (look, he was a mass murdering sod, but you can't say he didn't completely change German society - reform isn't necessarily on the side of good) pretended to be a reformed character for long enough to get all the power. Stalin was able to portray himself as a safer choice than Trotsky, Thatcher wasn't going to change much of the post-war consensus, Disraeli was only going to change a few things to help the party, etc etc.

The other option is not to sway the minds of those who can put you in power to do things (that ain't the voters) and they go for a safer pair of hands. A Kamala Harris or Hilary Clinton.

If you wait and wait for an 100% pure politician, there will be no one to vote for, and a lifetime of President Trumps, basically.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

In a surprising move, Beto O'Rourke ends his campaign.

Who?

Surprising** all right

(**gets to keep all campaign contributions as per American law, suckers).

Deval Patrick joins the contest. FFS.

In other news, Mark Sanford has abandoned his primary challenge to Trump...