YoungWillz

The Deathlist Poker Tournament 2019

A poker player becomes a hit in a poker Deadpool? gcreptile's spot that Mad Marty Wilson was being dealt a bad hand means he will jump into second place.

Bonuses: gcreptile makes a pair of 7s - 10 Additional Points. With his existing pair of 9s, that makes two pair - 15 Additional Points. Total Bonus - 25 Points.

Leaderboard updated.

• Like 2

That was a veeery slow but steady drip of obits.

In the end, the perfect pick though.

• Like 1

Deaths So Far:

Christopher Booker - 3 July

Jared Lorenzen - 3 July

John McCririck - 5 July

Sutopo Purwo Nugroho - 7 July

Michael Sleggs - 9 July

Freddie Jones - 9 July

Denise Nickerson - 10 July

Hussain Muhammad Ershad - 14 July

Johnny Clegg - 16 July

John Paul Stevens - 16 July

Andrea Camilleri - 17 July

David Hedison - 18 July

Beji Caid Essebsi - 25 July

Kevin Roster - 26 July - No Obit

Mad Marty Wilson - 26 July

Harley Race - 1 August

Brian Lochore - 3 August

Alf Smith - 4 August

Cecilia Caballero Blanco - 13 August - No Obit

Kathleen Blanco - 18 August

Fred Rister - 20 August

Tim Fischer - 22 August

Randy Romero - 28 August - No Obit

Captain Chorizo: 760 Points (Lorenzen; McCririck; Nugroho; J. Clegg; Camilleri; A. Smith; K Blanco)

Cards Played: Queen of SpadesFour of DiamondsBlack JokerNine of HeartsTen of HeartsKing of ClubsFour of Clubs

gcreptile: 683 Points (Booker; Nugroho; J. Clegg; Essebsi; Wilson; K Blanco) (Sub: Lochore [8 Hearts])

Cards Played: Nine of DiamondsNine of SpadesSeven of HeartsJack of ClubsSeven of SpadesJack of Diamonds 

Grim Up North: 650 Points (McCririck; Nugroho; Sleggs; J. Clegg; K Blanco; Rister)

Cards Played: Black JokerKing of SpadesQueen of DiamondsEight of ClubsFour of HeartsNine of Spades

Death Impends: 635 Points (Nugroho; Sleggs; J. Clegg; Camilleri; Essebsi; K Blanco)

Cards Played: Ten of DiamondsFive of ClubsKing of HeartsSeven of HeartsFive of DiamondsSeven of Diamonds

Joey Russ: 615 Points (Booker; Nugroho; Sleggs; J. Clegg; Essebsi; K Blanco)

Cards Played: Eight of ClubsEight of DiamondsAce of ClubsSix of SpadesFive of HeartsJack of Diamonds

Clorox Bleachman: 600 Points (Nugroho; Sleggs; J. Clegg; Camilleri; Essebsi; K Blanco)

Cards Played: Five of SpadesFour of HeartsNine of SpadesSix of HeartsTwo of HeartsSeven of Clubs

Banana: 516 Points (Booker; J. Clegg; Camilleri; K Blanco; Fischer) (Sub: Essebsi [6 Diamonds])

Cards Played: Three of HeartsQueen of DiamondsThree of DiamondsNine of ClubsEight of Spades

The Old Crem: 500 Points (McCririck; Sleggs; Ershad; J. Clegg; K Blanco)

Cards Played: Five of ClubsTwo of HeartsThree of DiamondsNine of DiamondsFour of Diamonds

msc: 450 Points (Booker; Sleggs; F. Jones; J. Clegg)

Cards Played: Red JokerFour of HeartsTen of DiamondsSix of Spades

Sir Creep: 424 Points (Lorenzen; Sleggs; Camilleri; K Blanco) (Sub: J. Clegg [A Diamonds])

Cards Played: Jack of SpadesNine of ClubsEight of HeartsEight of Diamonds

Sean: 400 Points (McCririck; Nickerson; J. Clegg; K Blanco)

Cards Played: Six of HeartsKing of HeartsTen of ClubsFive of Diamonds

YoungWillz: 363 Points (Booker; Sleggs; K Blanco) (Sub: Hedison [K Hearts])

Cards Played: Black JokerQueen of DiamondsSix of Hearts

Toast: 310 Points (McCririck; Sleggs; J. Clegg)

Cards Played: Five of DiamondsSeven of ClubsSeven of Hearts

Fixed Business: 305 Points (J. Clegg; Stevens; K Blanco)

Cards Played: Eight of HeartsAce of HeartsJack of Diamonds 

RadGuy: 300 Points (Nugroho; J. Clegg; K Blanco)

Cards Played: Two of ClubsThree of HeartsEight of Hearts

Skinny Kiltrunner: 300 Points (Sleggs; Essebsi; K Blanco)

Cards Played: Seven of HeartsJack of DiamondsTwo of Hearts

Torva Messor: 300 Points (McCririck; J. Clegg; K Blanco)

Cards Played: Queen of ClubsTen of SpadesKing of Clubs

Great Uncle Bulgaria: 220 Points (J. Clegg; K Blanco)

Cards Played: Ace of SpadesAce of Hearts

Jiroemon Kimura: 208 Points (Race; K Blanco) (Sub: Fischer [3 Hearts])

Cards Played: Ace of DiamondsFour of Clubs

Death By Arsenic: 200 Points (Race; K Blanco)

Cards Played: Queen of ClubsJack of Hearts

theoldlady: 200 Points (McCririck; J. Clegg)

Cards Played: Two of HeartsThree of Diamonds

Yorkshire Banker: 112 Points (K Blanco) (Sub: Race [Q Spades])

Cards Played: Nine of Spades

Bibliogryphon; Gooseberry Crumble: 0 Points.

• Sad 1

Harley's on his bike and that means we welcome all newcomers to the leaderboard, Jiroemon Kimura, Death By Arsenic and Yorkshire Banker.

Bonus: Jiroemon Kimura hits A Diamonds - 5 Additional Points.

Yorkshire Banker's hit was only from his sub pool - draws Q Spades for 12 Points.

Leaderboard updated.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Whats with you (Telegraph) and Y-Dub (BBC) posting superfluous obits?  I posted a Sun obit upon the announcement.  No other QO was necessary.

smh

8 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Whats with you (Telegraph) and Y-Dub (BBC) posting superfluous obits?  I posted a Sun obit upon the announcement.  No other QO was necessary.

smh

When did you post an obit for Brian Lochore?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

smh

BBC Obit for Longthorne was posted to show another BBC Obit for my Generation Game DP. If you read my post on that thread, it's clear why it was done.

Nobody disputes the veracity of your QO for other purposes.

The fact that people were getting too close to snatching the Captain's lead has resulted in him grasping a unique hit with Scotland's oldest man.

Time to consider cashing in that Joker?

Anyway, leaderboard updated.

13 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

The fact that people were getting too close to snatching the Captain's lead has resulted in him grasping a unique hit with Scotland's oldest man.

Time to consider cashing in that Joker?

Anyway, leaderboard updated.

You denied someone L. Brooks Patterson but allowed 'Scotland's oldest man'? Was he even in the top 20 oldest worldwide?  111 I doubt it.

I"m just clarifying you clearly denied Patterson on regional grounds.  Agreed.  I did the same. (and I'm from Michigan ffs)
But allowed ... Scottish regional persons?  I guess it's all what region, some places more equal than others.  

SC

L. Brooks Patterson was a local politician,his equivalent isn't the oldest man in the UK but like Mayor of Johnstone,Scotland or Vicar of Ayr.  Patterson is unlikely to get national Obits while Alf Smith death is being mentioned by most qualifying obit sources(sun,bbc,metro,guardian,daily,mail etc)

• Like 1

As (joint) oldest man in the UK, Alf would have been OK under the Cup's centenarian rules.

5 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

L. Brooks Patterson was a local politician,his equivalent isn't the oldest man in the UK but like Mayor of Johnstone,Scotland or Vicar of Ayr.  Patterson is unlikely to get national Obits while Alf Smith death is being mentioned by most qualifying obit sources(sun,bbc,metro,guardian,daily,mail etc)

Vicar of Ayr? That''s my 2020 joker!!!

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

You denied someone L. Brooks Patterson but allowed 'Scotland's oldest man'? Was he even in the top 20 oldest worldwide?  111 I doubt it.

I"m just clarifying you clearly denied Patterson on regional grounds.  Agreed.  I did the same. (and I'm from Michigan ffs)
But allowed ... Scottish regional persons?  I guess it's all what region, some places more equal than others.  

SC

Hmm, Sir C, all I know is I didn't deny you L Brooks Patterson, so why are you upset?

Second, how do you know the contents of Private Messages between me and other players?

Third, in actual fact L Brooks Patterson wasn't denied by me, on regional or any other grounds. I'm sure the player who proposed that pick will confirm.

Fourth, oldest people of a country are specifically allowed. Supercentenarians generally qualify as of right given their great age. Smith bangs right into both.

Fifth, Scotland isn't a "region" of anywhere.

Image result for king and i etc gif

To be 100% accurate and defend Willz:

Willz said:

17. L Brooks Patterson - I'd rather you didn't. County Councillor springs to mind, and although there's the Supreme Court case, looks like he was a minor player. If you insist, I can't see how I can oppose it though! 

And  I replied:

Shall axe LBP, worry not!

Can't mind how Sir Creep knows, but tbh a "Was advised against Patterson in the Poker game" type comment somewhere wouldn't surprise me. Been a long fucking Summer!

Although no QO so far, so bullet dodged?

• Like 3

These discussions can also turn out very well.

I picked Ed Genson and YW pointed him out as very borderline but said he would accept (but was clearly encouraging me to pick someone else so I obliged because I want the game runner to be happy).

Then the teams came out and DI had Ed Genson. GRRRRRR!

Then Michael Sleggs, my replacement pick, died and Ed Genson is still alive :D

• Like 1

I am a fair and reasonable person ha!

There are players who know absolutely they have dodgy picks as far as obits are concerned. They have pressed ahead, as they are entitled to do.

We've got months and what will be will be. Looks at the moment that the Captain definitely has found the balance needed for this game, but it's early days.

Yeah, I had been told by Willz after picking Genson that he barely qualified, and I had the choice to keep or replace him, with both choices having been exercised by prior entrants. I take the view that if I'm entitled to keep the name, I have no reason to back down!

• Like 2

Card Eleven in my deal (7. Torva Messor), Cecilia Caballero Blanco, died 13 August, according to Wikipedia.

26 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

Card Eleven in my deal (7. Torva Messor), Cecilia Caballero Blanco, died 13 August, according to Wikipedia.

Oh, I know, I'm waiting on that currently elusive QO....;)

As it may take some time to configure, I'm on the K Blanco update...news at 11....;)

Former Governor of Louisiana Kathleen Blanco is swept over the levee when the levee was dry. As for them good old boys...

No less than 19 teams out of 24 picked her for their team. Unfortunately, two teams are STILL washing their hands in the lavatory sinks! Otherwise, because of the sheer weight, there's little movement in the standings. However, several teams are teetering on the verge of the chunkier bonuses.

Bonuses as follows:

Great Uncle Bulgaria hits a second ace out of two hits. 5 Points for the A hit, 10 Points for the Pair of As - Total: 15 Additional Points.

gcreptile hits a Pair of Jacks. 10 Points for the Pair. A further 15 Points for his two pair of Js and 7s. A further 15 Points for his two pair of Js and 9s. Total: 40 Additional Points.

Death Impends hits a Pair of 7s. 10 Points for the Pair. A further 15 Points for his two pair of 7s and 5s. Total: 25 Additional Points.

Sir Creep hits a Pair of 8s. Total: 10 Additional Points.

Captain Chorizo hits a Pair of 4s. Total: 10 Additional Points.

Leaderboard updated.

Fred Rister has played his Guetta-tjailfree card.

This is good news for Grim Up North who was the only player to pick him. GUN currently holds third and displaces Death Impends on the podium.

No bonuses however. Leaderboard updated.

• Like 2

Tim Fischer might have made the Nationals, but now he's made the final. Departure, that is.

Banana hits and moves up the rankings. No bonuses.

Jiroemon Kimura had Fischer as a sub and draws 3 Hearts for 3 points added.

Leaderboard updated.

If Randy Romero fails to obit, let this be a salutary lesson to players not to pick people with first names that end with a "Y" and second names that end with an "O".

Remember Lindy Remigino?

If he does obit, there will be no pattern and no lesson learned. But I like the idea of it! :D

• Like 2