Sign in to follow this  
adrian0719

John Prine

We should probably keep an eye on musician John Prine. Has battled cancer before (currently cancer free) but looks terrible for a 71 year old.

Screenshot_20180221-195644.png

I agree we need to keep John Prine under close observation.   

His new album, The Tree of Forgiveness, was featured on Radio 2's folk show tonight and I think he's developed the croak of a dying man, a bit like Johnny Cash sounded like in his final musical offerings.  The album sleeve photo, ominous song titles like (the excellent) Summers End and When I Get to Heaven, along with the fact Prine picked up a lifetime achievement award recently, attending but not performing at a concert held in his honour, all suggest to me that time might be running out for the great man.

Musgraves recalled how she struck up a friendship with “John ‘Motherfucking’ Prine” after asking if she could “burn one” with him at the Station Inn 10 years ago :D

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

His new album, The Tree of Forgiveness, was featured on Radio 2's folk show tonight and I think he's developed the croak of a dying man, a bit like Johnny Cash sounded like in his final musical offerings.  The album sleeve photo, ominous song titles like (the excellent) Summers End and When I Get to Heaven, along with the fact Prine picked up a lifetime achievement award recently, attending but not performing at a concert held in his honour, all suggest to me that time might be running out for the great man.

Aye, "great man" indeed - I'm registering your logic and not liking the prospect of losing him

On 13/09/2018 at 22:33, DevonDeathTrip said:

John Prine has to cancel concerts on the advice of his doctors:

https://www.jambase.com/article/john-prine-cancels-jazz-fest

On 05/05/2019 at 21:23, gcreptile said:

John Prine has to cancel concerts on the advice of his doctors:

https://www.jambase.com/article/john-prine-cancels-jazz-fest

Worrying that I might not get many more opportunities, I've just taken the plunge and booked tickets to see John Prine in concert on Sept 6th, so I hope his dodgy lungs continue to function for at least that long.  

Edit - I decided to make a Prine thread, just because I can and because I think he's brilliant B)

For the uninitiated, here's an 80s performance of Speed of the Sound of Loneliness.  Apart from the song, the pained look he gets from bassist/vocalist and soon to be ex-wife Rachel right at the end is something to behold.

There are a few people we should be hush to mention, as not to arouse the Reaper and remind him that the person walks the earth.  John Prine is one of these few.  Please, no more posts until he passes, which we can hope is 20 years from now. 

SC

Postpones concerts to undergo surgery. Hm

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Postpones concerts to undergo surgery. Hm

He doesn't look like he's planning to go anywhere soon, but his health is looking increasingly perilous.  I'll report back if he makes it to the September gig in London.

Aug 11 - Edmonton Folk Festival - Edmonton, AB (Rescheduled for Aug 9, 2020)

Thought I'd post another Prine classic, In Spite of Ourselves, just because it never charted and that's a shame. 

• Like 1

There ain't a fucking thing wrong with John Prine.  I will ship TEN pounds of coffee to anyone who posts his demise prior to 2021, and it actually occurs.

SC

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

There ain't a fucking thing wrong with John Prine.  I will ship TEN pounds of coffee to anyone who posts his demise prior to 2021, and it actually occurs.

SC

Liked it just to try to prove you wrong. :D 

On 23/07/2019 at 20:09, Joey Russ said:

Liked it just to try to prove you wrong. :D 

Same. His chances are maybe 50/50 imo.

Currently Johnnie Walker's guest on Sounds of the Seventies on Radio 2

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Currently Johnnie Walker's guest on Sounds of the Seventies on Radio 2

I was listening to that and Johnnie Walker was joking about croaking live on air or summat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redrumours said:

I was listening to that and Johnnie Walker was joking about croaking live on air or summat.

Yeah his voice was rough today and he actually said something like Tommy Cooper had the right idea

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I’m sure people with CANCER are worried about a virus *MASSIVE eye roll*

Lol, yes indeed they are. Get yourself informed.

• Like 12

On 21/03/2020 at 08:07, Sir Creep said:

Yes they are because cancer is a much nicer death you stupid fucking dingbat!

Anyway who the fuck is John Prine?

• Like 1

John Prine will easily be the biggest C19 death when he goes, that’s who.  And having Cancer already, he’s more likely than not I would imagine.

SC

On 21/03/2020 at 09:07, Sir Creep said:

5 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

And having Cancer already, he’s more likely than not I would imagine.

SC

• Haha 5