Sign in to follow this  
adrian0719

John Prine

5 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

John Prine will easily be the biggest C19 death when he goes, that’s who.  And having Cancer already, he’s more likely than not I would imagine.

SC

Biggest death to who? Willy waivers?

Seriously who the fuck is this nobody?

Also biggest death gimme a break - Prince Charles and the Queen's footman have it....

• Like 2

Kenny Rogers, Jan Howard, Joe Diffie all dead within the last 9 days and now John Prine is on the chopping block.

Definitely a bad time to be a country singer.

• Sad 3

He's a singer songwriter of the Old Grey Whistle Test types, who is very popular with other singer songwriters.

2 minutes ago, msc said:

He's a singer songwriter of the Old Grey Whistle Test types, who is very popular with other singer songwriters.

An absolute nobody then.

• Facepalm 2

5 minutes ago, adrian0719 said:

Intubated and in critical condition. 

Along with a few thousand other people in the US roughly as insignificant as him.

Spanish flu lady was more sodding notable. 

• Facepalm 1

If someone like Steve Goodman is a nobody to you, then yes, so is he. Otherwise, no. Also, this tone made me think I was in the rage thread... 

If someone is irrelevant to you, why comment?

7 minutes ago, SusanStoHelit said:

If someone like Steve Goodman is a nobody to you, then yes, so is he. Otherwise, no. Also, this tone made me think I was in the rage thread... 

If someone is irrelevant to you, why comment?

Seriously for a minute? 

Who the fuck is Steve Goodman? 

On a side note if you think this is my (or many others on here's) angry tone your clearly knew and wet behind the ears like the randy virgin who mistakes the lube for hand sanitiser at his first orgy. 

You don't even have to be particularly regular here to know "your" angry tone Deathers. It's one of the few reasons I check in occasionally :D

• Haha 2

On 24/07/2019 at 02:05, Sir Creep said:

There ain't a fucking thing wrong with John Prine.  I will ship TEN pounds of coffee to anyone who posts his demise prior to 2021, and it actually occurs.

SC

:lol: on your marks...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Deathray said:

Seriously for a minute? 

Who the fuck is Steve Goodman? 

On a side note if you think this is my (or many others on here's) angry tone your clearly knew and wet behind the ears like the randy virgin who mistakes the lube for hand sanitiser at his first orgy. 

Oh, ok then. In that case, next you're probably gonna tell me you had no fucking clue who Kenny Rogers was before he turned up on the list. 

D'you know "City of New Orleans"?

And if you do, do you know that song has cover versions in at least three languages and was not written by Arlo Guthrie?

He wrote it, and John Prine wrote and or co-wrote some of his other songs...

On the other hand, Steve Goodmans been dead for a few decades now, so if you only notice people once they get cancer (and can be picked in A DP), which he did, for the record, no wonder...

2 minutes ago, En Passant said:

You don't even have to be particularly regular here to know "your" angry tone Deathers. It's one of the few reasons I check in occasionally :D

Sorry, just joined a couple days ago. If I'd known there was some kind of "Guess who wrote what based on curse to word ratio " contest, I might just have cared less.

2 minutes ago, SusanStoHelit said:

Aside from as a place on the southern coast of Louisiana that I felt a bit uncomfortable driving through some time before it was mostly blown away by a hurricane? No.

4 minutes ago, SusanStoHelit said:

And if you do, do you know that song has cover versions in at least three languages and was not written by Arlo Guthrie?

no, because at 1 above no.

Basically fed up with this place getting all American again. Sort your own damn board. Stroppy? Moi? Sancerre, I'm not used to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SusanStoHelit said:

Oh, ok then. In that case, next you're probably gonna tell me you had no fucking clue who Kenny Rogers was before he turned up on the list. 

He wrote it, and John Prine wrote and or co-wrote some of his other songs...

On the other hand, Steve Goodmans been dead for a few decades now, so if you only notice people once they get cancer (and can be picked in A DP), which he did, for the record, no wonder...

I've heard the Willie Nelson version of City of New Orleans. Now there's a real bona-fide famous person. And tbfh I assumed Nelson wrote it. God knows who Arlo Guthrie is.... as alien to me as Goodman or Prine or Kenny Rogers - is he Fred's brother? 

Maybe that makes me an uncultured slob but on the other hand can you name every member and touring member of Slipknot or Iron Maiden? There's some real musicians and proper music for you flower. 

On 23/07/2019 at 17:18, DevonDeathTrip said:

He doesn't look like he's planning to go anywhere soon, but his health is looking increasingly perilous.  I'll report back if he makes it to the September gig in London.

Thought I'd post another Prine classic, In Spite of Ourselves, just because it never charted and that's a shame. 

DDT I'm jealous, surely it was a fine concert!  

3 minutes ago, SusanStoHelit said:

Sorry, just joined a couple days ago. If I'd known there was some kind of "Guess who wrote what based on curse to word ratio " contest, I might just have cared less.

Your not as funny as you think you are. 

3 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I've heard the Willie Nelson version of City of New Orleans. Now there's a real bona-fide famous person. And tbfh I assumed Nelson wrote it. God knows who Arlo Guthrie is.... as alien to me as Goodman or Prine or Kenny Rogers - is he Fred's brother? 

Maybe that makes me an uncultured slob but on the other hand can you name every member and touring member of Slipknot or Iron Maiden? There's some real musicians and proper music for you flower. 

I don't say everyone has to know him. But maybe don't call anyone a nobody just cuz you don't like the genre they're in.

1 minute ago, Deathray said:

God knows who Arlo Guthrie is..

You'd need to be A: about 20 or 30 years older than you are to even have a clue . B: probably American.  It's that whole arse end of the sixties Woodstock thing. Which for the unintiated doesn't refer to the place near Oxford.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Your not as funny as you think you are. 

I'm not trying to be. What makes you feel like you need to reply to the "randy virgins" comment not addressed to you?

You will probably die of salt poisoning at this rate, even before I do

Just now, SusanStoHelit said:

I don't say everyone has to know him. But maybe don't call anyone a nobody just cuz you don't like the genre they're in.

You don't get it do you. There's people in that genre I'd heard of heard of in the same way anyone who's not heard of metal would have heard of Maiden or Metallica..... 

Looe Willie Nelson or BB King

There the somebodies, not John Prine.

3 minutes ago, SusanStoHelit said:

I'm not trying to be. What makes you feel like you need to reply to the "randy virgins" comment not addressed to you?

You will probably die of salt poisoning at this rate, even before I do

Well if the 'randy virgin' is going to hover around near my schlong I'll not say no to a bit of engagement when they seem as keen as you to be to the sadomasochistic party

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Deathray said:

You don't get it do you. There's people in that genre I'd heard of heard of in the same way anyone who's not heard of metal would have heard of Maiden or Metallica..... 

Looe Willie Nelson or BB King

There the somebodies, not John Prine.

Maybe to you nobody just means most people not into the genre/subject  haven't heard of them. But by that definition there are lots of "nobodies" who died, got QOs etc. 

Just now, SusanStoHelit said:

Maybe to you nobody just means most people not into the genre/subject  haven't heard of them. But by that definition there are lots of "nobodies" who died, got QOs etc. 

The Guardian obits section exists. 

A lot of fuck nobodies get QOs. That doesn't make them a somebody..... It just means there's enough boring cunts who think they are one that the obit has to be published. 

17 minutes ago, SusanStoHelit said:

Don't worry about it.

Some around here won't give you the time of day unless you've been signed up since 1895. However my view (and it may just be my view) is that being new isn't a handicap. Hmm, ok, thinking longer (15 whole seconds) it IS a handicap, but one that can be overcome with diligent posting and due deference to those who've been around since the ark (i.e. signed up sometime before 2020).

4 minutes ago, Deathray said:

The Guardian obits section exists. 

A lot of fuck nobodies get QOs. That doesn't make them a somebody..... It just means there's enough boring cunts who think they are one that the obit has to be published. 

Well, guess I'm too literal-minded. I'd only maybe call someone a nobody who wouldn't qualify on here or who's only famous by proxy