Sign in to follow this  
adrian0719

John Prine

Just now, SusanStoHelit said:

Well, guess I'm too literal-minded. I'd only maybe call someone a nobody who wouldn't qualify on here or who'se only famous by proxy

Yes and John Prine is famous by proxy, no? He didn't sell the records, his singers did... 

4 minutes ago, SusanStoHelit said:

Well, guess I'm too literal-minded. I'd only maybe call someone a nobody who wouldn't qualify on here or who's only famous by proxy

Honestly, you should see some of the names bandied about in some of our Deadpools; fuck mine, some of them are proper grasping at straws. Think most DL members would qualify, leave alone the actually famous.

P.S. Get yourself an avatar!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Yes and John Prine is famous by proxy, no? He didn't sell the records, his singers did... 

he did release albums of his own successfully.

• Like 1

I still don't know who John Prine is btw.

No, I'm not looking it up on gargle, that's a cop out. And I'm a lot older than you Deathers, so it's not just that you're too young.

4 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

P.S. Get yourself an avatar

This crusade brought to you from deepest Essex. A current bugbear for our Basildon meat rubber.

However, bloody right too, you ain't nobody without one.

• Like 1

People need to get a grip.  Every 'celebrity ' has a following that they are relevant for, and have meaning for.  Expand your minds and appreciate the differences between societies and cultures.

Regarding John Prine,  he is definitely a legend in some circles, and has influence far beyond those. Maybe you haven't heard of him, but have you heard of Bob Dylan,  Johnny Cash, and Roger Waters? Here what they have to say about him:

Prine is widely regarded as one of the most influential songwriters of his generation.

In 2009, Bob Dylan told The Huffington Post that Prine was one of his favorite writers, stating "Prine's stuff is pure Proustian existentialism. Midwestern mindtrips to the nth degree. And he writes beautiful songs. I remember when Kris Kristofferson first brought him on the scene. 'Sam Stone' featuring the wonderfully evocative line: 'There’s a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes, and Jesus Christ died for nothing I suppose.'[16] All that stuff about "Sam Stone," the soldier junkie daddy, and "Donald and Lydia", where people make love from ten miles away. Nobody but Prine could write like that."[17]

Johnny Cash, in his autobiography Cash, wrote, "I don't listen to music much at the farm, unless I'm going into songwriting mode and looking for inspiration. Then I'll put on something by the writers I've admired and used for years--Rodney Crowell, John Prine, Guy Clark, and the late Steve Goodman are my Big Four..."[18]

Roger Waters, when asked by Word Magazine in 2008 if he heard Pink Floyd's influence in newer British bands like Radiohead, replied, "I don't really listen to Radiohead. I listened to the albums and they just didn't move me in the way, say, John Prine does. His is just extraordinarily eloquent music—and he lives on that plane with Neil Young and Lennon."[19]

2004 saw Prine's song "Sam Stone" covered by Laura Cantrell for the Future Soundtrack for America compilation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, En Passant said:

This crusade brought to you from deepest Essex. A current bugbear for our Basildon meat rubber.

However, bloody right too, you ain't nobody without one.

You've taken that straight from my Tinder bio

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

People need to get a grip.  Eve.......

TLDR: yes, but who is he?

• Haha 1

Just now, The Quim Reaper said:

You've taken that straight from my Tinder bio

Dream on. Remind me is tinder the straight or gay one? It's straight from your original heading isn't it? Well, the one I remember when I thought it was Lenny Henry or somebody and you had to tell me it was Ainsley....

1 minute ago, En Passant said:

Dream on. Remind me is tinder the straight or gay one? It's straight from your original heading isn't it? Well, the one I remember when I thought it was Lenny Henry or somebody and you had to tell me it was Ainsley....

I believe it caters for all? I digress. Better than talking about John Prine (Whooooo?) I suppose.

I blame the Lenny/Ainsley confusion on Lenny doing 'Chef!'

1 minute ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I believe it caters for all? I digress. Better than talking about John Prine (Whooooo?) I suppose.

I blame the Lenny/Ainsley confusion on Lenny doing 'Chef!'

I don't know any Prines and I'm fast becoming  proud of it, ....

or indeed primes which is a stupid game people good with numbers play. I am happy to report I care equally about primes and prines. i.e. not much.

Chef. ha fair point, it may well have been that.

The Basildon Meat Rubber’s crusade against the faceless is a roaring success so far!

Now, John Prine. Well done if you know him. Many of us don’t. Sure some cunt will score with him against me in the DL Cup.

On 23/07/2019 at 20:05, Sir Creep said:

There ain't a fucking thing wrong with John Prine.  I will ship TEN pounds of coffee to anyone who posts his demise prior to 2021, and it actually occurs.

SC

Get your shipments ready, bub.

2 hours ago, Perhaps said:

Kenny Rogers, Jan Howard, Joe Diffie all dead within the last 9 days and now John Prine is on the chopping block.

Definitely a bad time to be a country singer.

It's a bad time to be anybody these days ! 

John Prine was a turn-of-the-year addition to both my 2020 Shadow List (signature) and my Death By Numbers 2020 list.

5 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

It's a bad time to be anybody these days ! 

It’s also a bad time to be without an avatar. SORT IT.

• Haha 3

I don't think this person should have his own thread, but he might get a QO. And no, I've never heard of him either.

On 09/06/2019 at 06:56, Sir Creep said:

There are a few people we should be hush to mention, as not to arouse the Reaper and remind him that the person walks the earth.  John Prine is one of these few.  Please, no more posts until he passes, which we can hope is 20 years from now. 

SC

He is a complete nobody that no-one has ever heard of except a couple of yee-haw country devotees,  heaven knows how he even got his own thread unless he bribed one of the mods. "You picked a fine time to leave me John Prine"

• Like 2

I hope the Reaper will see the new activity on this thread

50 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

He is a complete nobody that no-one has ever heard of except a couple of yee-haw country devotees,  heaven knows how he even got his own thread unless he bribed one of the mods. "You picked a fine time to leave me John Prine"

A fair point until...

You claim his audience are " yee-haw country devotees."

People who like cow-punchin' uptempo country generally don't get John Prine. 

• Thanks 1

Well, I've certainly heard of him, although I've never listened to any of his music.  I know someone who has/had tickets to his London gig in February, which was postponed (I think for the second time) due to his ill-health.  She said at the time, "I am not destined to see him".

"Look at me not having heard of this person other people have heard of, how edgy am I?" posts are unedifying and crass regardless of who posts them, and are akin to those times DJL called any non-Oz Deathlist dull imo.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

I really like how deadpooling has expanded my horizons and I suddenly recognize the names. I had this epiphany when I saw Prine's tour posters in Berlin last year. "Oh, that's him!" And just two weeks ago, when I saw Clive Cussler's books in my favourite book store.

• Like 6