YoungWillz

Farmer Tony Martin

Noticed there was some discussion of this rural vigilante in the crooner thread of the same name. So I thought, seeing as he is back in the news, I'd thread him.

Nice picture of him in his "paratrooper" beret in this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-49355814

In a country of law and order, blasting kids to death with a shotgun still has no place in our society. Discuss.

Gives the man a medal for trying to defend his property. The scumbags should not have been terrorising him for weeks/months 

• Like 2

Always saw Tony Martin as the British DMX: gun-toting nutjob criminal who spends all their spare time talking to dogs. Martin doesn't have anything as good as "Party Up" in his locker though.

He failed to take reasonable steps to secure his property. He failed to get the authorities involved. The gun was illegally held. Shot them as they were running away, when he was in no danger of physical harm. And didn't shoot to injure, he intended to take them out.

The man was quite clearly not within his rights in a decent society. And still sees himself as a hero to every Englishman who defends his castle. And it's that attitude that gives licence to murder. I'd have him still locked up.

Coincidentally, given his extreme right wing views, the current leader of the National Front - or what's left of it - is also called Tony Martin.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

He failed to take reasonable steps to secure his property. He failed to get the authorities involved. The gun was illegally held. Shot them as they were running away, when he was in no danger of physical harm. And didn't shoot to injure, he intended to take them out.

The man was quite clearly not within his rights in a decent society. And still sees himself as a hero to every Englishman who defends his castle. And it's that attitude that gives licence to murder. I'd have him still locked up.

Bit harsh to lock up a mentally ill guy who talked to teddy bears and was regularly being robbed who'd clearly had enough and snapped for 20+ years. He has aspergers so change is something they don't seek to do, he said he found the gun and people with aspergers can't lie.

Repetitive behaviours is safe to them,so someone breaking into his home was likely putting him under huge mental stress. He also has paranoid personality disorder and said the police didn't help him when he regularly contacted them. He was pushed and pushed and felt helpless. 

He was in the wrong though and ain't no hero,whether he was laying in wait for them (I believe he was) or not he must of decided to stop it once and for all. He did and he wasn't robbed again. I think 3 to 5 years was about right. Him also being used as a political pawn by all and sundry clearly shows his mental naivete,though I'm sure he welcomed some of it. 

If he never had shot them who knows maybe they would of beat him or tortured him to death demanding money and we'd be talking about how innocent Tony Martin was now and how evil the burglars were and got off with a light sentence.Or maybe the police would of arrived while it was happening and one police officer would of been killed similar to what happened in Berkshire yesterday. 

I think if you break into someone's home you should expect you may lose your life as you're essentially threatening their life and their families lives. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the_engineer said:

Bit harsh to lock up a mentally ill guy who talked to teddy bears and was regularly being robbed who'd clearly had enough and snapped for 20+ years. He has aspergers so change is something they don't seek to do, he said he found the gun and people with aspergers can't lie.

Repetitive behaviours is safe to them,so someone breaking into his home was likely putting him under huge mental stress. He also has paranoid personality disorder and said the police didn't help him when he regularly contacted them. He was pushed and pushed and felt helpless. 

He was in the wrong though and ain't no hero,whether he was laying in wait for them (I believe he was) or not he must of decided to stop it once and for all. He did and he wasn't robbed again. I think 3 to 5 years was about right. Him also being used as a political pawn by all and sundry clearly shows his mental naivete,though I'm sure he welcomed some of it. 

If he never had shot them who knows maybe they would of beat him or tortured him to death demanding money and we'd be talking about how innocent Tony Martin was now and how evil the burglars were and got off with a light sentence.Or maybe the police would of arrived while it was happening and one police officer would of been killed similar to what happened in Berkshire yesterday. 

I think if you break into someone's home you should expect you may lose your life as you're essentially threatening their life and their families lives. 

I hear you and I hear your reasoned argument.

However, on one point I am sure. Those lovely law abiding citizens who defend their lives are safe. Martin was already a criminal by having an unlawfully held weapon in his hands. If he was mentally unfit, that's all the worse, not the better. Nobody was threatening his life, and the realms of speculation about they might have done this or that is irrelevant.

In this case, the answer to bad guys without a gun was a bad guy (albeit with diminished responsibility) with a gun. No place here, no place at all. In my opinion of course. ;)

• Like 1

I have no sympathy for the bloke he shot.He shouldn't have trespassed.

How the hell did Martin at the time know he wasn't going to be raped  tortured or even killed by the intruders? 

Good I think that all intruders should be shot should the landowner see fit.Will make others think twice.

There's a reason for the law the way it is, I'd say. Most intruders flee when confronted.

Look, if intruders think they are going to be confronted with an armed person, they are going to come armed. Huge business in illegal firearms for crims who wouldn't normally carry them. Then what? If householders think intruders are going to come armed, they'll arm themselves. And the circle continues until we become USA. Really?

I'd have had no problem if there was a sign up saying trespassers may be shot. (Whether that's entirely legal is another matter! And again it might encourage the bad guys to come armed!) If you are going on to a farm, more than likely a farmer may have a licenced firearm for foxes, etc.

Martin took no steps in that regard. Turns out he was a racist coward with mental problems and an illegally held weapon who shot teenagers in the back as they ran away from him.

You can't generalise and say in every circumstance the death of anyone is justified. Every circumstance is different. And in this case....well...I'll refer you again to the OP. He's wearing his beret like some kind of war veteran. And I'll say again, Martin is a total hypocrite - he wants laws that suit him and as it turns out the laws he advocates would have had him swinging from a rope before his appeal came through.

But hey, it's divisive, I understand.