Sign in to follow this  
msc

Werner Herzog

On 04/05/2019 at 17:16, gcreptile said:

Article on (prospective future deathlist member) Werner Herzog's interviews with Mikhail Gorbachev.

I agree. Lets give him a thread. Werner Herzog. Probably the most famous non-US/UK director living*, 77 next month, and given his walking talking meme status, he's bound to provide lots of entertaining updates before his demise. Like that time he got shot during an interview but carried on. Or the time he went down the Amazon and was nearly killed by his own team. Or the time he was President of the United Sta... sorry, that one was Teddy Roosevelt.

*I particularly like Incident at Loch Ness, but the joke in that works best if you've seen some of his other stuff. And if you are about to go "Who?" go and get some culture in you FFS.

Today's Werner Herzog news? He's in the new Star Wars film. Of course he is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was one of his films that Ian Curtis watched before topping himself, IIRR.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, msc said:

I agree. Lets give him a thread. Werner Herzog. Probably the most famous non-US/UK director living*, 77 next month, and given his walking talking meme status, he's bound to provide lots of entertaining updates before his demise. Like that time he got shot during an interview but carried on. Or the time he went down the Amazon and was nearly killed by his own team. Or the time he was President of the United Sta... sorry, that one was Teddy Roosevelt.

Wasn't it Klaus Kinski who was offered to be killed by the Natives during the filming of Fitzcarraldo? But Herzog declined because he needed the actor to complete the filming.

• Like 1

Yes, I approve!

Sadly, I know more stories about him than I've watched his movies.

I've liked his penguin documentary though, and his part in a Rick and Morty episode.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Book said:

Wasn't it Klaus Kinski who was offered to be killed by the Natives during the filming of Fitzcarraldo? But Herzog declined because he needed the actor to complete the filming.

Yes, that is true (I was mixing stories to make the Roosevelt gag!) - iirc Herzog was tempted at one point!

Herzog later released My Best Fiend about working with Kinski.

He also once bet a fellow director that if they finished a difficult documentary, he would eat his own shoe. They did, and so did he, on stage at the premiere.

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Yes, I approve!

Sadly, I know more stories about him than I've watched his movies.

I've liked his penguin documentary though, and his part in a Rick and Morty episode.

I approve too. The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser is one of my favourite films. 

• Like 1

Werner Herzog: seems well,  pro-covid-precautions, working on a new documentary from his own house.

“You do not go out unless you go out to an Arctic island, where there’s only a few penguins,” he said, while noting that Antarctica is suffering amid the pandemic due to the halting of scientific projects. In terms of production, he also added, “It’s a collective responsibility. You cannot be an employer of a large crew and send them out in a football stadium with lots of people. You just don’t do it. It’s a no-no, and you have to accept it. Actually, it’s a no brainer.”

Typical for them to cut out what was probably an interesting 5 minute Herzog digression about Antarctica there.

On 24/08/2019 at 21:50, msc said:

*I particularly like Incident at Loch Ness, but the joke in that works best if you've seen some of his other stuff. And if you are about to go "Who?" go and get some culture in you FFS.

Today's Werner Herzog news? He's in the new Star Wars film. Of course he is.

Bit of Herzog here, talking about speaking in different languages but not speaking French (It's a better anecdote than I've made it sound). There's also a tweet that includes the getting shot during an interview.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, time said:

Bit of Herzog here, talking about speaking in different languages but not speaking French (It's a better anecdote than I've made it sound). There's also a tweet that includes the getting shot during an interview.

And it being Werner Herzog I 100% believe that anecdote happened.

He got shot during an interview and replied "Its not significant" after all.

Our favourite German nutter (sorry, @gcreptile, 2nd place is good though? ;)) appeared on US TV 3 days ago. Starting to age but still seems in decent nick for soon to be 80 (in September). Link below for those interested.

• Like 2

I've seen all his films and firmly believe he'll still be around for at least another 15 years. Love the big man and hearing him speak, a Lynch/Herzog collaboration would be the greatest film ever.