Sign in to follow this  
Hosni Mubarak

Famous farmers and agricultural people

11 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Most famous farmer in the UK might be Michael Eavis

Most likely.I would say Jimmy Doherty is second.Doherty has slipped off the radar lately.

• Like 1

The Queen and Prince Charles, surely the biggest landowners in the country or is it the Duke of Westminster?

I'm just guessing btw.

38 minutes ago, redrumours said:

The Queen and Prince Charles, surely the biggest landowners in the country or is it the Duke of Westminster?

I'm just guessing btw.

Herehere and here.

All from The Graun, but that's mostly because it's the one that isn't behind a paywall.

They are all also puff pieces promoting one guys book. But since that book is about the subject in the first place, meh, one gets the information where one can.

• Thanks 1

There is a tv show here called "Bonde söker fru" (= farmer seeks wife) that has been airing for a baffling 13 years in a row. So basically, a disproportionate number of farmers would technically stand a chance of getting an obituary in a relatively large newspaper here in Sweden.

Edit: Anders Jönsson has ms.

https://www.expressen.se/noje/tv-bondens-kamp-mot-svara-sjukdomen/

• Like 1

On 08/09/2019 at 09:19, DevonDeathTrip said:

My neighbour Wilfred Emmanuel-Jones, possibly the first black man to ever set foot in Holsworthy, might be a good candidate.  However he's only 60 and in good health as far as I'm aware.   

Just thought I'd mention him, as I have a suspicion that Hosni was waiting for a few suggestions, before grumbling about the lack of diversity on this thread. 

Apparently Wilfred Emmanuel-Jones has previously had leukemia and is shielding in his London flat, saying covid-19 would be a death sentence.

This thread is the human equivalent of Animal Antics and shall be treated as such. 

Scores are dead after armed men on motorcycles gruesomely attacked agricultural workers in northeastern Nigeria.

Officials say the attack occurred Saturday in the country's Borno state. Multiple outlets report that suspected Islamist militants attacked the farmers while they were harvesting the fields in a rural part of the state.

Residents told Reuters at least 70 were killed during attack.

SirC

• Sad 1

Dean "Dino" Cortopassi, the son of an immigrant farmer who spent his life growing crops and growing companies, has died at 84 after complications from a stroke. 

Cortopassi was a leader in the agricultural community, and was a partner in running multiple farms over the 7,000 acres he acquired throughout his farming career.

He invested in significant agribusiness ventures including Stanislaus Food Products, Gilroy Canning, Sierra Quality Canners, Muir Glen Organic Tomatoes, and Corto Olive, and was a pioneer in vineyard-style olive farming.
SC

Report of the death of Henry Plumb, Baron Plumb, just after his 97th: 

Former MEP and the only Briton to hold the Presidency of the European Parliament. Mistook Barbara Castle for Margaret Thatcher, receiving a biting response.

Anyhoo, awaiting the usual confirmations. DDP Pick @gcreptile.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Former MEP and the only Briton to hold the Presidency of the European Parliament. Mistook Barbara Castle for Margaret Thatcher, receiving a biting response.

There surely can’t be many MPs, peers and MEPs still alive who are older than the head of state now? I wonder if she will survive the remaining few? Baroness Sharples, Lord Christopher, Sir Patrick Duffy and Ben Ford spring to mind, plus there’s a few other ancient peers who were kicked out of the Lords in 1999.

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Not an Obit but Henry Plumb confirmed dead by the NFU: https://www.nfuonline.com/media-centre/releases/tributes-paid-to-former-nfu-president-lord-plumb-who-has-died-aged-97/

Aziil Anwar, a prolific planter of mangroves on coral damaged by blast fishing in Indonesia’s West Sulawesi province, rallying many children to his cause, died in hospital on May 6. He was 64.

Azill had suffered a leg injury from scraping through a coral reef, which failed to heal due to his diabetes. The injury eventually led to his death.

The government honored Aziil in 2003 with the Kalpataru Prize, a national environmental award. In 2015, the Jakarta-based Biodiversity Foundation recognized him for being an initiator in sustainability. Aziil’s Baluno Mangrove Forest has also been a declared a biodiversity park, a type of state-sanctioned nature reserve geared toward ecotourism.

SC

Sheep farmer Joss Naylor MBE, more renowned for his fell-running exploits, is 87 today.   He was still running daily until he had a stroke in December 2021.  A very tough man indeed, but I thought I'd put his name out there as he has only been mentioned once before on these forums.   

image.png.9559fd4bf330b9bbb919f53635f7b103.png

• Like 1

Robin Page, farmer (and friend of King Charles) who was a philanthropist, political candidate and writer famous for presenting One Man And His Dog in the 1990s, reportedly dead aged 80: https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/30/robin-page-dead-one-man-and-his-dog-presenter-dies-aged-80-18870517/

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1697164/

• Like 2

On 12/02/2023 at 08:36, DevonDeathTrip said:

Sheep farmer Joss Naylor MBE, more renowned for his fell-running exploits, is 87 today.   He was still running daily until he had a stroke in December 2021.  A very tough man indeed, but I thought I'd put his name out there as he has only been mentioned once before on these forums.   

image.png.9559fd4bf330b9bbb919f53635f7b103.png

Interview with Joss Naylor, now in a residential care home.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Interview with Joss Naylor, now in a residential care home.

Tough as boots but we’ve all got to go one day - let’s hope he has a good view from his room. Still sounds like he’s mentally there from the article.

• Like 1