Sign in to follow this  
Vaagheid

Paul Verhoeven

Dutch director Paul Verhoeven (Turkish Delight, RoboCop, Total Recall and Basic Instinct) said in an interview that he had a near death experience in January when doctors just in time spotted a hole in his colon. He says that he is still recovering from that operation. Link (in Dutch)

Maybe one to watch for the next couple of years

• Like 3

Terrific director, hope he sticks around a bit longer. Thought Elle was fantastic in spite of what various moaning Minnies protested 

Hmm, I would like to know more.

15 hours ago, Vaagheid said:

... spotted a hole in his colon.

I'm guessing it wasn't his arsehole then. :o

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Hmm, I would like to know more.

He apperantly currently has a stoma and has one big surgery ahead of him but he is recovering well.

According to the interview he went in for routine hip surgery in January but 3 days later was insanely sick, went to the hospital and immediately needed to go into a 4 hour surgery.

They assume the perforation was caused by the heavy painkillers he took after his hip surgery. Also the surgeon said to him if he came in a day later, he would have died.

The interviewer mentions him looking healthy but very thin.

He is planning on shooting movie about medieval lesbian nuns  next which was now delayed for half a year because of the surgery and he is also not planning on retiring eventhough he is 81. 

Also some talk about his friendship and falling out with recently deceased actor Rutger Hauer.

Quite a long in depth interview.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vaagheid said:

He apperantly currently has a stoma and has one big surgery ahead of him but he is recovering well.

According to the interview he went in for routine hip surgery in January but 3 days later was insanely sick, went to the hospital and immediately needed to go into a 4 hour surgery.

They assume the perforation was caused by the heavy painkillers he took after his hip surgery. Also the surgeon said to him if he came in a day later, he would have died.

The interviewer mentions him looking healthy but very thin.

He is planning on shooting movie about medieval lesbian nuns  next which was now delayed for half a year because of the surgery and he is also not planning on retiring eventhough he is 81. 

Also some talk about his friendship and falling out with recently deceased actor Rutger Hauer.

Quite a long in depth interview.

Thank you :). I was trying to make a Starship Troopers reference.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Thank you :). I was trying to make a Starship Troopers reference.

To be fair, It's been more then a decade since i've seen it and the only thing i remember of Starship Troopers is the sudden Nazi-uniforms (which Verhoeven was surprised off that the studios met him do that).

On 28/09/2019 at 22:22, Vaagheid said:

Dutch director Paul Verhoeven (Turkish Delight, RoboCop, Total Recall and Basic Instinct) said in an interview that he had a near death experience in January when doctors just in time spotted a hole in his colon. He says that he is still recovering from that operation. Link (in Dutch)

Maybe one to watch for the next couple of years

Now two years later and doing very well.

His new erotic lesbian nuns-movie is playing at Cannes and he is already planning two other films. A spy thriller and a movie about Jesus.

• Like 1