Octopus of Odstock

Oldest Living football league players

Johnny Langland definitely alive. 

Thanks to @KELLPA01 we have identified @ChesterfieldFC oldest living player & our oldest member. Johnny Langland #433 joined the club in 1950, he made his first-team debut in 1952 playing 7 times. In 1954 he joined @Blyth_Spartans  & later @Official_HUFC. John is 91 years-old. https://t.co/U0LSaCh8H6

Jack Scott also definitely alive. Always good to know for certain people are still with us. 

From Twitter:

@andrearadri I’ve been speaking to an ex LUFC player Jack Scott (92) this week who I think may well be the oldest surviving? Happy to put him in touch with the club if appropriate?

Hi sad news.doe anyone know anything about Eric Williams  ex Man City.he retired from football in 1954 and there is no information. He was born in 1921 in Salford

Is Cyril "Sammy" Chung still alive? He managed Wolves to the second division title in 1976/77 and later managed Doncaster Rovers in the early 1990s, only to be sacked on the first day of the season and replaced by Kerry Dixon, a player he'd signed. According to Wikipedia he's 88 and is living in Minehead. As a player he turned out for Oxford United back when they were called Headington United.

4 hours ago, errorgorilla said:

Is Cyril "Sammy" Chung still alive? He managed Wolves to the second division title in 1976/77 and later managed Doncaster Rovers in the early 1990s, only to be sacked on the first day of the season and replaced by Kerry Dixon, a player he'd signed. According to Wikipedia he's 88 and is living in Minehead. As a player he turned out for Oxford United back when they were called Headington United.

100% yes. One of Reading and Norwich's oldest players and a terrific chap. 

Sammy Chang 100 per cent alive.the Internet wikipedia sky sports would say ashe is well known own and didn't disappear. Isaw him as a coach

On 24/02/2021 at 19:55, Octopus of Odstock said:

https://www.htsa-web.com/post/heritage-an-interview-with-town-s-oldest-living-player

Graham Bailey 100% alive as per Michael F's research but he's not in Cornwall, he's still in Yorkshire. Good to have clarity and another centenarian footballer. Seems in good health too. 

That was my article :) 

Alex Jackson, former York City and Huddersfield Town player, sadly passed away in 2010 whilst living in Australia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that news

I was unable to locate what happened to him

On 11/03/2021 at 08:34, michaelf said:

Sammy Chang 100 per cent alive.the Internet wikipedia sky sports would say ashe is well known own and didn't disappear. Isaw him as a coach

Remember standing by the tamworth dug out when he managed them back in the 80s. He kept barking orders out for his team to keep the ball and bollocked anyone who lumped it forwards. On that evidence he was 20 odd years ahead of his time

2 hours ago, michaelf said:

Thanks for that news

I was unable to locate what happened to him

For the sake of your Hugman's update @michaelf, there's a FindAGrave page for him here, with a full death date of 22 May 2010 (aged 88) and a death place of Campbelltown City, South Australia, Australia.

Thanks I will have to check that site as there are several other ex footballers who went to live in Australia 

Hi I just found another John Finlay died 18th of May 2007 at Nerang.gold Coast City queensland  Australia. He was born on the 1st of July 1925

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@michaelf, just seen your update on Hugman's for Alec Jackson.

City of Campbelltown, South Australia (wiki) and Campbelltown, New South Wales (wiki) are different places. Easy mistake to make but an important correction as they're 1300km apart.

4 hours ago, lsm said:

That was my article :) 

Alex Jackson, former York City and Huddersfield Town player, sadly passed away in 2010 whilst living in Australia.

Thanks lsm, not only for this and for Bailey but everything else you've helped with.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2020 at 18:52, Octopus of Odstock said:

Derek Ufton gets the Daily Mail treatment. Seems well. 

Article also confirms the five oldest England Internationals. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9076781/amp/Englands-one-cap-wonder-Derek-Ufton-oldest-surviving-star-Three-Lions-aged-92.html?__twitter_impression=true

Not that well.

DDP Pick Derek Ufton being reported dead.

• Like 1

Sigh. Ron Baynham takes over the poisoned chalice of oldest England International. Only 2 left born in the 1920's now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Not that well.

DDP Pick Derek Ufton being reported dead.

I was about to put him in the cricket thread, but knowing that he won an England footie cap, I thought I'd check here first. Wicket-keeper who had a brief run as Kent's first choice between the retirement of Godfrey Evans and the emergence of Alan Knott. 

• Like 1