Octopus of Odstock

Oldest Living football league players

Len Fletcher, Ipswich's oldest player, has died aged 91 - https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/len-fletcher-tribute-itfc-7844936 

• Like 1

@michaelf@michaelf - see below the sterling work from our own @Ulitzer95 re. David Lindsay.

David Lindsay
Hugman's / Wiki says born 29 Jun 1922 in Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Several family trees on Ancestry, including this one here say born 29 Jun 1919 in Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Other info given...
Parents: John Lindsay and Martha McLachlan
Married: Barbara Hunter Forrester on 1 Feb 1947 in Innerleithen, Peebleshire, Scotland
Notes that he worked as a professional footballer in 1947!
Later worked as a sales engineer
Died: 10 Apr 1987 (aged 67) in East Kilbride, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Address at time of death was 99 Burns Park, East Kilbride.
Cause of death: myocardial infarction, renal failure, complications of surgery

Hi I already had those details 

Do you mean Hugman book or website ?

I sent the details to Barry Hugman over 5 years ago .if its been missed I will resend

Crossposting from Deathlist Detective work and removed Sharpe and Lindsay from list on the first page. Keeping Taylor and Gray on for now but strongly suspect they are gone.

7 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Crossposting from Deathlist Detective work and removed Sharpe and Lindsay from list on the first page. Keeping Taylor and Gray on for now but strongly suspect they are gone.

I’m away tonight OoO but I’ll take a look at some more names over the weekend.

I’ve looked at your subsequent posts and for what it’s worth, I agree Lindsay and Sharpe are now closed cases.

Gray I think we’re 75% of the way there – pretty sure someone wouldn’t have claimed he was a footballer on their family tree without first hand knowledge.

As for Taylor, I’m not convinced. Could be a total coincidence. How can we go about confirming that one? Do you think there’s any football sources out there where you’d be able to unearth some confirmation on that first name?

48 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I’m away tonight OoO but I’ll take a look at some more names over the weekend.

I’ve looked at your subsequent posts and for what it’s worth, I agree Lindsay and Sharpe are now closed cases.

Gray I think we’re 75% of the way there – pretty sure someone wouldn’t have claimed he was a footballer on their family tree without first hand knowledge.

As for Taylor, I’m not convinced. Could be a total coincidence. How can we go about confirming that one? Do you think there’s any football sources out there where you’d be able to unearth some confirmation on that first name?

I'm trying to contact the Bradford City historian to see what they know. There's 6 ex Bradford b. 1930.

Away? In a pandemic? 

31 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I'm trying to contact the Bradford City historian to see what they know. There's 6 ex Bradford b. 1930.

Away? In a pandemic? 

Staying at my partner’s place. Probably not allowed but meh.

• Like 1

There is an error on barryhugmansfootballers.com 

I have informed Barry between the 2 David Lindsays both have died

Another query is James docherty born 22nd of April 1929 at clydebank ex Doncaster.I cannot find the birth certificate so date may be wrong

Michael 

Yes Gray is dead.i need to go to Edinburgh to get the dates.taylor not known.i contacted the Bradford City historian and said David Gray and Sid Ward were alive 10 years ago and as I can't find any deaths I believe they are still around

3 hours ago, michaelf said:

Yes Gray is dead.i need to go to Edinburgh to get the dates.taylor not known.i contacted the Bradford City historian and said David Gray and Sid Ward were alive 10 years ago and as I can't find any deaths I believe they are still around

Michael, did you not see the post about Gray? 

Possibly died in Halifax in 1983.

But you've said he's dead and hes alive in the same post? 

Hi I didn't the post on Gray.but I meant Andy Jack was dead in Scotland but I need to visit Edinburgh to get the relevant dates.I will check David Gray death in Halifax

Hi I just found David Gray's death in Bradford in 1985 his birthday is correct but year 1921 is wrong.his second name downie is missed so that,s why it was missed

Updated again due to @Ulitzer95 brilliant work. When this started, I think my list was around 200 - it's now around 115. But if all 115 are alive, that's great as we can celebrate their longevitity.

In summary(for Michael F or anyone else) the dead are:

• David Lindsay 29.6.1919, Cambuslang d. 10 Apr 1987, East Kilbride
    • David Gray d. 1983, Halifax, Yorkshire
  • Geoff Hill d. 2017
  • Fred Sharpe d. 9th April 2020, Hull, Yorkshire
  • James Taylor b. 7.4.1925, Warrington d. 15 Aug 2000, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
  • Eric Searle d. 2015, Surrey
  • Fred Smith b. 27 May 1926, Draycott d. 6 Dec 2017, Woollongong, New South Wales, Australia
  • Alf Horne @Ulitzer95 - definitely the same man as I've found something to say he moved to Watford. So died April 1967, Watford, Hertfordshire
  • Like 1

Great where did Geoff Hill die .I found died 2007 in a car crash on a wiki site ?

Ok I will put Canada 2007

He married but had no children in the UK so I thought he must have emigrated 

Fred Sharpe also emigrated to Australia  but returned home.again no children in the Uk

Alfred horne was born in Watford in 1921 so birth year wrong died aged 45 in Watford

Hi I will have to reinstate horne as being alive he was definately born at Brixworth in 1926

And was living in Northampton in 2013 at 192.com

@michaelf @Octopus of Odstock

Name: Geoffrey Raymond Hill
Death Date: 16 Feb 2006
Death Place: Mitcham
Grant Date: 12 Jun 2007

Isn't this Geoff Hill? Record from the Victoria, Australia Wills and Probates here. Also appears in the England and Wales probates so must be a Brit originally...

Also, presumably that's Mitcham, Melbourne, Victoria. Sure it was Canada?

This could be him butl the site i saw it said died in 2007 in car crashes.but it must be abroad.

I would say this is the footballer as he died overseas.wikipaeda says died 2007 but change this to 2006

While this thread holds no interest to me, I have to say that I am mightily impressed with the research going on here.

Fair play.

• Like 4

@michaelf, this is what Ulitzer found on 1927-1929:

George Davies

This family tree suggests he died in Cape Town, South Africa. Doesn't state when annoyingly. You can request death certificates from the SA Gov site so maybe Michael could work with this?

308539041_ScreenShot2021-04-22at23_05_49.thumb.jpg.9f3aa84389f6881aca5963a81c8eba0b.jpg
605451333_ScreenShot2021-04-22at23_06_15.thumb.jpg.0433246cdb3c0b59d3952b766d83669c.jpg

------------------------
John Brooks

Nice and easy:

Name: Mr John Brooks
Birth Date: 8 Mar 1927
Last Residence: Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire, England
Postal Code District: ST7
Death Date: 9 Jul 2018
  •  
  • Christopher Leonard

b. Christopher Leonard 11 Jul 1927 Jarrow, EN (Hugman's)

Family tree:

Christopher Leonard
    b. 1927 Jarrow
    d. 1987 
    father: William Leonard
    mother: Elizabeth Cartwright

Now he was the only Christopher Leonard born in that entire region in 1927 so must be him.
    Problem is where? Definitely did not die in the UK... and I extended the search on FreeBMD to 1985–1989 in case the authors of the tree recalled the year wrongly... which happens (like in David D Gray's case).
    Anyway, I believe this is him, but best of luck finding more. It's a game of "where in the world".
    -------------------------------------

------------------------------------
    Robert Williams

Can't find his fate but Hugman's should correct his birth name. Definitely Robert Raymond Williams, not Raymond Robert Williams. Will help with finding him further down the line.
    ------------------------------------
    Thomas McGairy

Dead. Alternate spelling brings up an exact match on birthdate:

Name: Thomas McGarry
Death Age: 75
Birth Date: 25 Nov 1927
Registration Date: Dec 2002
Registration District: Leeds
Inferred County: Yorkshire
Register Number: A32C
District and Subdistrict: 0921A
Entry Number: 56