Octopus of Odstock

Oldest Living football league players

I had heard rumours about Hampson moving to Australia but this cements it somewhat. 

Thanks for your efforts, I'm going to try and tie as many of these off in 2022.

• Like 2

On 22/11/2021 at 13:46, Ulitzer95 said:

@Octopus of Odstock, decided to do a bit of research into Eric Hampson (b. 1921) and I believe I've made some progress.

He retired in 1954. By 1959 he had moved to Bognor in Sussex and was working as a confectioner and tobacconist. The source is this old newspaper clipping I pulled up from the British Newspaper Archive:

463642931_Screenshot2021-11-22at20_19_13.thumb.png.07717d403397500d929939de1dcc1350.png

Crucially, it gives his wife's name as Ethel. From this information I was able to locate her through Ancestry in the family trees. She was born in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire as Ethel Morris (not far from Eric) in 1922. She died in Lewes, Sussex in December 1973. So they were still living in Sussex at that point.

Now I have great reason to believe Eric moved away after she passed away, and I think I can just about prove it. His listing on the Ancestry family trees is private, meaning he's listed as living (so either he is still alive OR he has died and nobody who has him in their trees has added his death details). There is one clue however. Their daughter Elizabeth Vivian Hampson (b. 1952 in Staffordshire) is listed as having died in Queensland, Australia in 2012. If family members have updated that, it tends to suggest he was still alive in 2012. His absence from the GRO Index and 192People would give strength to the idea he's in or was in Queensland. That's where you should look for your answer.

This is Hampson's daughter's obituary: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/news-mail-au/obituary.aspx?n=elizabeth-vivien-gibson-viv&pid=158712571&fhid=12368. No mention of father, so seems that he was probably deceased by then, as it mentions her in-laws.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, edm88 said:

This is Hampson's daughter's obituary: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/news-mail-au/obituary.aspx?n=elizabeth-vivien-gibson-viv&pid=158712571&fhid=12368. No mention of father, so seems that he was probably deceased by then, as it mentions her in-laws.

Then again, that obit does mention several deceased relatives, so not sure you can make a call either way using that.

7 hours ago, edm88 said:

Good find! You would expect to mention her father if he was alive. I think the reason it mentions the in laws is because one of them was alive (it's badly worded but I'm going for Rex being deceased and his wife being alive) therefore th y are mentioned in the obituary. As her parents were already dead, if this is to be interpreted this way, then they wouldn't be mentioned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Then again, that obit does mention several deceased relatives, so not sure you can make a call either way using that.

Yeah - not definitive, as perhaps her father could have cut off contact later in life and that could be the reason he is/was not mentioned. Though I'd say it strongly suggests it.

Per the Ryerson Index an Eric Hampson died at a nursing home in the Hobart, Tasmania area in 2009 - couldn't find an online obit or further details, but could be a possibility. Otherwise, the Queensland Death Index which is available online up to 1991 doesn't have any matches. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, edm88 said:

Yeah - not definitive, as perhaps her father could have cut off contact later in life and that could be the reason he is/was not mentioned. Though I'd say it strongly suggests it.

Per the Ryerson Index an Eric Hampson died at a nursing home in the Hobart, Tasmania area in 2009 - couldn't find an online obit or further details, but could be a possibility. Otherwise, the Queensland Death Index which is available online up to 1991 doesn't have any matches. 

You can rule out the 2009 name.

That person was born in 1927.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2021 at 22:12, Octopus of Odstock said:

One bit of good news - Peter Greenwood is definitely still alive - https://cricket.lancashirecricket.co.uk/news/2020-news/peter-greenwood-lancashires-longest-living-cricketer/

Sadly though, Kenny McDevitt died earlier this year as per a 2021 Will search:

Surname First name Date of probate Probate number Date of death Document type Registry  
McDevitt Kenneth Richard 23 April 2021 1616863683114743 15 February 2021 Grant and will Principal Registry

Someone stirring up that Peter Greenwood is dead: 

Might be true, anyone search on the Face of Book, perhaps?

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Someone stirring up that Peter Greenwood is dead: 

Might be true, anyone search on the Face of Book, perhaps?

Can't see anything on Facebook but that tweet seems legit I'd say.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Hmm.. Greenwood lives (d) in Chester. This geezer is from Windermere. Is there a Cumbrian Peter Greenwood?

Interesting.

I mean folk move about with their jobs, having a swatch at the Tweeter's photo, I'm guessing his boys are teenagers at the very least.

Well he is a councillor. If he was involved in Chester's council, Greenwood was also involved in a council job. Time to do some sleuthing..

• Like 1

Scotland's ten oldest living internationals by the way. Luton Town have the oldest England international (Ron Baynham) and 2nd oldest Scottish international.

Ian McMillan (Airdrieonians and Rangers), 6 caps 1952-61, 18 March 1931
Mike Cullen (Luton Town), 1 cap 1956, 3 July 1931
Jimmy Millar (Rangers), 2 caps 1963, 20 November 1934
David Holt (Hearts), 5 caps 1963-64, 3 January 1936
George Herd (Clyde), 5 caps 1958-61, 6 May 1936
Ralph Brand (Rangers), 8 caps 1961-62, 8 December 1936
Tommy Ewing (Partick Thistle), 2 caps 1958, 2 May 1937
Willie Bell (Leeds United), 2 caps 1966, 3 September 1937
Jackie Plenderleith (Hibernian), 1 cap 1960, 6 October 1937
Ron Yeats (Liverpool), 2 caps 1964-66, 15 November 1937

• Thanks 1

Also he doesn’t sound massively close to him. He might have only met him a couple of times and the distance not relevant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Scotland's ten oldest living internationals by the way. Luton Town have the oldest England international (Ron Baynham) and 2nd oldest Scottish international.

Ian McMillan (Airdrieonians and Rangers), 6 caps 1952-61, 18 March 1931
Mike Cullen (Luton Town), 1 cap 1956, 3 July 1931
Jimmy Millar (Rangers), 2 caps 1963, 20 November 1934
David Holt (Hearts), 5 caps 1963-64, 3 January 1936
George Herd (Clyde), 5 caps 1958-61, 6 May 1936
Ralph Brand (Rangers), 8 caps 1961-62, 8 December 1936
Tommy Ewing (Partick Thistle), 2 caps 1958, 2 May 1937
Willie Bell (Leeds United), 2 caps 1966, 3 September 1937
Jackie Plenderleith (Hibernian), 1 cap 1960, 6 October 1937
Ron Yeats (Liverpool), 2 caps 1964-66, 15 November 1937

Thanks for that I thought Ronnie Yeats had already died.

23 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Can't see anything on Facebook but that tweet seems legit I'd say.

Still no definitive confirmation for Peter Greenwood but here is a post from Bradshaw Cricket Club.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Still no definitive confirmation for Peter Greenwood but here is a post from Bradshaw Cricket Club.

When you look at that picture and then the one here AND the age, it has to be the same man.https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chester-city-fc-sealand-road-5218434

Well done Thatcher, good work.

Another  one gone, it's taken a battering and GRO 2020 will likely reduce it further.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Hugman's have gone with it, though I wonder where they got the specific date of death from?

That site seems to be rather sloppy with death dates e.g. Louis Bimpson's death was announced on November 15th (so they added 15th to his profile). A later obit released by his family confirms he died on 13th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Well done Thatcher, good work. 

Not words you hear often these days. 

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Obituary for Peter Greenwood from Lancashire Cricket Club. No date of death but I think that definitely confirms things.

• Like 1

Sorry for going a bit off-topic in this post, but I thought I'd share some information about the oldest living footballers in my country. I made sure to confirm in a reliable source that these people are indeed alive today.

Top 10 oldest living footballers

1. Hans Tvilling (15 July 1928): 93

2. Reino Börjesson (4 Feb 1929): 92

3. Sven Lindberg (30 Jan 1930): 91

4. Henry Thillberg (17 Aug 1930): 91

5. Charles Gustafsson (25 Dec 1932): 88

6. Lennart Backman (7 Feb 1934): 87

7. Lars-Erik Ahlberg (5 June 1934): 87

8. Gösta Lundell (14 Oct 1934): 87

9. Kurt Hamrin (10 Nov 1934): 87

10. Lennart Svensson (18 Nov 1934): 87

Interestingly, Tvilling had a MUCH better ice hockey career. I'd like to see athletes try excelling in more than one sport today...Anyway, I was unable to confirm that Arne Larsson (27 Apr 1931) and Leif Forsberg (6 Oct 1932) are still alive.

Living players capped before 1960 (number of caps during year in parenthesis).

1950: -

1951: Hans Tvilling (2), Reino Börjesson (1)

1952: -

1953: Henry Thillberg (4), Kurt Hamrin (3)

1954: Henry Thillberg (8), Kurt Hamrin (8)

1955: Kurt Hamrin (9), Bertil Nilsson (4), Henry Thillberg (3) & Charles Gustafsson (1)

1956: Henry Thillberg (4) & Jan Ekström (3)

1957: Reino Börjesson (2), Jan Ekström (2), Charles Gustafsson (1), Harry Bild (1) & Lars-Erik Ahlberg (1),

1958: Reino Börjesson (7), Kurt Hamrin (5), Lennart Backman (2) & Owe Ohlsson (1)

1959: Lennart Backman (4), Henry Thillberg (3), Harry Bild (3), Owe Ohlsson (1), Lars-Erik Ahlberg (1) & Nils Johansson (1)

Ekström was apparently originally included in the 1958 WC squad, but was ultimately omitted. Injuries stopped Thillberg and Backman from participating at the tournament.

Living goalscorers for Sweden in the 1950s:

Kurt Hamrin: 14

Henry Thillberg: 9

Harry Bild: 3

Bertil Nilsson: 3

Jan Ekström: 2

Reino Börjesson: 2

DOB for those capped in the 50s and not in the top 10 list:

Nils Johansson (14 Dec 1934), Bertil Nilsson (16 Jan 1936), Harry Bild (18 Dec 1936), Jan Ekström (11 Oct 1937) & Owe Ohlsson (19 Aug 1938)

To bring back the main topic, Lennart Wing (7 Aug 1935) is very much alive. He played for Dundee Utd for a few years. Also, Sven Lindberg played for Petersborough Utd in 57-58. The goalie also played for the Welsh club Barry Town Utd plus supposedly one single game for Preston North End.