Sign in to follow this  
the_engineer

Images that have been burned into your mind

So this doesn't necessarily have to be violent or even real I. E in movies, tv shows etc but what image/s is burned into your mind and hasn't left you? 

As a kid in junior School this boy was running fast tripped over smashed his mouth on playground.  He was screaming blood and teeth everywhere.  Still see the teacher picking him up blood going over her light coloured coat. 

Weirdly another image that has stuck in my mind is a scene from snakes on a plane. Where huge Python wraps around the guy and eats him head first. Snakes are my phobia without doubt and that movie is so silly but that scene has stuck with me more than any other, even more brutal movies. 

• Like 1

spud waking up in his girlfriends bed in trainspotting

• Like 1

Not an image, but a sound

I can and probably always will hear the noise of my mates nose being broken after somebody kicked a football at his pus from point blank range.  The crack sounded like somebody clapping there hands together very loudly.  Horrible

• Sad 1

Saw a guy die when I was 14. Was waiting for the bus home from school. Guy on motorbike went to turn into a side street a block away. Car driver ploughed right into him. Guy did a sort of full flop in the air and landed head first on the ground. Bike crashed to the side and something flopped from it - which I only learnt after the fact was his leg, which had come off. Ambulance came inside 2-3 minutes, but they pretty much put the blanket over his face immediately and put him in the back. I was too far away to see the blood but you could smell the incident.

Found out the next day the guy had died.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, msc said:

Saw a guy die when I was 14. Was waiting for the bus home from school. Guy on motorbike went to turn into a side street a block away. Car driver ploughed right into him. Guy did a sort of full flop in the air and landed head first on the ground. Bike crashed to the side and something flopped from it - which I only learnt after the fact was his leg, which had come off. Ambulance came inside 2-3 minutes, but they pretty much put the blanket over his face immediately and put him in the back. I was too far away to see the blood but you could smell the incident.

Found out the next day the guy had died.

Damn that must of been horrible.

5 hours ago, runebomme said:

spud waking up in his girlfriends bed in trainspotting

To be fair they were her sheets lol. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, the_engineer said:

Damn that must of been horrible.

It was, though weirdly my corresponding memory is the wee old lady standing next to me at the bus stop. You know the type, really old, bit deaf, slightly away with the fairies...

"Was there an accident, son?"

"Yeah, a man got hit by a car."

"Oh that's a shame. Is he hurt?"

"I think he's dead."

"Oh, that's terrible.... he'll miss the Celtic match now!"

This went on and on...

And then the next day, soon after I found out he died, who did I bump into? That same wee old lady!

• Haha 1

Tommy Cooper dying on stage.

43 minutes ago, msc said:

something flopped from it - which I only learnt after the fact was his leg

Why do I find that more disconcerting than the fact he ultimately died? I do though.

That one would burn on anyone's mind I'd have thought. Can't see that getting wiped easily.

A&E Doctors with their, perhaps understandable, dark humour call are known to refer to motorcyclists as organ donors.

Just now, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Tommy Cooper dying on stage.

We had that on but I wasn't watching, was playing with my Sindy dolls, but I remember the concern in my mum's voice as she said 'something's wrong' and later she told me that he'd died. I know the footage has resurfaced but I don't want to see it.

For me it would be seeing a dead new forest pony on holiday there when I was nine. I was a typical horse mad girl at that age and it upset me deeply. I can still see it clearly.

Other things, a bird eating the remains of its newly deceased mate, which I think is the reason birds repulse me now, used to quite like them before that.

When I was on my year abroad there was a fire in the hostel and while nobody was badly hurt, two students lost all their belongings, their sobs at this realisation were heart-breaking.

And on a different note, the first time I ever knowingly saw a transvestite. 

A look and smell with me.

Probably the look an ex partner gave me at the very start of our relationship as we were getting ready to go out as our first time as a couple. He sprayed on Jean Paul Gaulter Le Male and winked at me. Never had a look of love like that before or since (even with my ex husband). Everytime I smell that aftershave, I'm back in that bedroom on that Saturday night in July 1999. 

• Like 1

A classmate of mine died as the result of a car accident that also killed his little sister. I went to the classmate's funeral which was held at a Catholic church. Lots of other kids from our class were there but some were just using it as an excuse to ditch school. One of these boys went up for Communion. He came back to his seat, chawing on the host, with a s***-eating grin on his face. That look of utter disdain for the rite and for the gravity of the situation is emblazoned on my memory. 

35 minutes ago, N. Fritz said:

A classmate of mine died as the result of a car accident that also killed his little sister. I went to the classmate's funeral which was held at a Catholic church. Lots of other kids from our class were there but some were just using it as an excuse to ditch school. One of these boys went up for Communion. He came back to his seat, chawing on the host, with a s***-eating grin on his face. That look of utter disdain for the rite and for the gravity of the situation is emblazoned on my memory. 

he probably became a politician