Sign in to follow this  
Skinny kiltrunner

Legends in their own minds

Yeah, so this might get shot down in flames, but my mind is amused by headlines with the word 'legend' in them when only a tiny fraction of one percent of the population has heard of the person. I will start it off with this one-

Jordie Lunn, Canadian mountain biking 'legend', dead after a crash.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-mountain-biking-legend-jordie-lunn-dead-in-trail-riding-accident

If people take offense (really? On this site?), this can be moved to the 'Shove off, eh'  topic.

• Like 1

Canadian country music 'legend' Dallas Harms............

Ah, fuck it. I started this topic and even I can't be arsed to cross post to it. I realize the error of my ways and realize there are far too many options available to keep them all relevant. Dallas Harms could also go in Shove Off, Eh?, Songwriters, Dead of 2019, and (C)Rappers.  Whatevs.

d7fTn7iSd2ivS.gif

• Haha 2

At least you bothered to start a thread.

Way too many here moan like fuck about threads yet start bugger all themselves because they are happy enough to feed off of others efforts or summat.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

At least you bothered to start a thread.

Way too many here moan like fuck about threads yet start bugger all themselves because they are happy enough to feed off of others efforts or summat.

Nah, you want a "LFN Is a Legend" thread, start it yerself. :D

25 minutes ago, msc said:

Nah, you want a "LFN Is a Legend" thread, start it yerself. :D

You mean Leg end.:)

21 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Canadian country music 'legend' Dallas Harms............

Ah, fuck it. I started this topic and even I can't be arsed to cross post to it. I realize the error of my ways and realize there are far too many options available to keep them all relevant. Dallas Harms could also go in Shove Off, Eh?, Songwriters, Dead of 2019, and (C)Rappers.  Whatevs.

d7fTn7iSd2ivS.gif

This is why the repeated petty arguments as to whether certain people belong in 'thread a' vs 'thread b' or 'thread c' are ultimately pointless and abjectly time wasting (even if I admit to partaking in these debates myself) - there's plenty of threads around people who could fit into half a dozen or more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kinnock said:

This is why the repeated petty arguments as to whether certain people belong in 'thread a' vs 'thread b' or 'thread c' are ultimately pointless and abjectly time wasting (even if I admit to partaking in these debates myself) - there's plenty of threads around people who could fit into half a dozen or more.

In general that’s always been true.  Then some dope posts Anne Meara in ‘Fringes of Fame’.  When that shit happens SirC is on the case!  They’ll be bitched at ‘there was a better thread’.  Don’t happen often but .... needed.

I’m more annoyed when people start threads we already have.  And then defend their idiocy!

1. Beauty Queens thread exists, I don’t even acknowledge the asinine one created 6 months ago same exact topic.

2. Piper at Gates of Dawn existed, some NEWBIE creates Prog Rock Genesis Types whatever - and only SirC calls him out.  Instead you clowns CAPITULATE and actually USE it instead of telling this person what needed to be said.  I guess that’s my job - Alpha Male throw his weight around.  It’s okay I got big shoulders I can handle it.

@Skinny kiltrunner I saw the inherent problem but I liked the idea in general.  I think the limited scope threads work well vs broad strokes.  I’ve been ‘going to’ start a selfish Detroit thread and probably will soon.  But that works, gets a person couple times a year.  This one may have but every country has ‘legends’ and we laugh at the headlines often enough (in my home DP at least).

SC

"Legend" seems to have become a journalistic cliche that is automatically attached to any vaguely newsworthy person who dies.

• Like 2

Oh wow.... I had almost made another "legendary" thread, but it already exists! Completely forgot about it...

Anyway, here's "legendary" garage owner Ron Austin of Cardiff dead at 89:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/tributes-paid-fantastic-great-granddad-25682733

He regularly worked 12 hours daily in his garage right until his death.

And while we're at it, "legendary" surf photographer Art Brewer, dead at 71:

https://petapixel.com/2022/12/02/legendary-surf-photographer-art-brewer-has-died/

• Like 3

How about this guy?  He even named himself Legend.

licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4UASj70p5jq-LKKPPkCeVR56l0O0ZBSkoZZ2Z4iZNTte1mpS8UuRHC_G7es7xl4qb1-l9D_Wis_dxHi8

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The topic seems too broad, as so many headlines say ‘legend’ 1) cuz lazy journalism or 2) because they ARE legends, but the area of expertise is niche at best.

It is the latter reason I would be afraid to continue this thread, imho.  Just because @Skinny kiltrunner or Sir Creep doesn’t know who the legends are in making green Chinese pottery doesn’t mean those who make green Chinese pottery don’t, and no reason to insult those who are part of that niche group.

• Like 1

While going through my backlog of longlist research material, I note that "pool industry legend" Jayne Orth has retired due to ill health. The copy also refers to her as a "spa chemistry expert", so a QO should be pretty much a lock.

• Like 2

Forgot this thread existed! Finnish "legendary" Lappeenranta humppa festival host, journalist, presenter (and once husband of the late author Laila Hirvisaari who in my opinion was much more "legendary") Heikki Hietamies turned 90 and revealed he has "mild" dementia. Also suffered a massive stroke a few years ago. 

• Like 2