Joey Russ

Advent Avalanche 2019

Well done Reptile on the win :clap:

Condolences to drol, Ajoy Roy has shades of my Jon Hiseman pick in last year's Midsummer who seemed the best pick on paper but had enough fuel in the tank to outlast a few of the other selections

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I wasn't playing this year.... but an American HIGH SCHOOL football coach (in many instances just a phys ed teacher) is a celeb?
Jesus.....
Congrats Reptile... on getting your celeb past the litmus test.   You deserve the spoils of victory!

God, you're really annoying me lately.

First of all, there is no litmus test.

Secondly, did I hear you complaining about 2018 winner "local weatherman" Chris Bradley, or MMMDP winner 2017 "mum of singer" Irene Jones, or Spade's inaugural winner "Janitor of the year"? No...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes, I'm usually the first to complain (or silently seethe) over obscure nobodies featuring on here, but this pool (along with Deathrace) was always intended to allow such picks simply because it's a race and obit requirements are very low.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

God, you're really annoying me lately.

Laughing face and move on is best tactic.

PS Well done on the win.

• Thanks 1

Congratulations @gcreptile :party:

• Thanks 1

Well done reptile. I’ll wait two days in the off chance someone else turns out to have died before Kiefer, but nonetheless, congrats on your win. :) 

• Thanks 1

Respect gcreptile - :clap:

• Thanks 1

Actually, on second thought, we may have to give the win to drol.  According to this article Roy died at 12:30 a.m. Bangladesh time which is 11:30 a.m. Sunday in Kiefer's time zone.  Kiefer's obituaries say he died "Sunday afternoon".

On 31/10/2019 at 21:15, Joey Russ said:

8 In the event that two players tie for victory on the basis of picks expiring on the same day all efforts will be made to ascertain a winner on the basis of the actual time of death. For these purposes local time of death will be translated to GMT if required.

I'm not quite sure how to rule this, particularly because of this rule above. 

While it may be true Ajoy Roy died before Kiefer did, they did die on two different days, and Kiefer died before the day Roy did. 

I dunno. I think I'm going to leave it up to the other contestants to decide the winners. If they think drol should win though, I may have to clarify this rule clearer for next year...

It really depends on the source, it seems, like this (possibly the most esteemed Bangladeshi paper?) one has him dying p.m.:

https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangladesh/dhaka/2019/12/09/professor-ajoy-roy-passes-away-at-84

They all seem to share the same source though..."breathed his last".

Edit: I do think though that Roy died p.m., because some sources don't give an exact time and just say "afternoon", like this one:

https://en.prothomalo.com/bangladesh/news/206185/Ajoy-Roy-passes-away

I could imagine an a.m / p.m mix-up, but not an afternoon / night confusion.

That's the problem with avalanches - hard to tell what snow moved first. 

• Like 2

If Ajoy Roy was dead at 12.50 a.m. local time I'd claim the victory as Entropy of the Universe would have been far lower than it would be when Karl Kiefer died. 

But gcreptile is right. Roy died at 12.50 p.m. local time, that's late evening in America and Kiefer died in the afternoon. 

God knows how I'd like to win this pool, but what is right is right. Congrats again, gcreptile! 

• Like 3

Congrats reptile,also grats to drol on silver

• Thanks 1

Congratulations!

Well, one careless clap and the avalanche starts rolling...

• Like 1