Joey Russ

So, How’s Your 2020 Shortlist Looking?

This week I discovered that one of my picks has been given the 'all clear' by doctors after a recent illness, so I'll probably replace them.

Another pick I believed had only stopped making public appearances this year, but I found a thread on a messageboard the other day stating that they'd actually stopped these appearances several years ago, and that these were due to mobility issues. I'm not sure whether to keep them on my list or not at the moment.

Not going to lie, there's a vaguely notable person (they have done multiple TV things) with a far more famous other half, who "reading between the lines" seems to be on last legs. Curious to see how many people picked up on that one.

Hey, I last updated my shortlists in August, this is my role now, casually teasing Rad and Joey into Google searches...:P

(Although being honest, there was a name I saw earlier in the year that I thought was a dead cert Spade joker type pick, but the press seem to have got bored of them in the last 6 months, so their QO chances seem weak. LOL, right.)

My research sucks as I haven't the time I'd like to spend on this.  I write down a name and either shake me head at the 90 year old won't score me any points, or some hackneyed name who won't score me points.
However, 5 minutes ago I located my Joker (think Miss Jordan Dawes, who I dismissed as healthy based on her FB postings - goddamit) -- with QO chances far less than 5%, but dammit, the person WILL DIE by March, and I will know if I am in contention, or starting me 2021 research.
SirC

Cut some more names off, and yeah, can really tell that pairing this short list down to 20 will be extremely difficult, ngl...

It's weird, I can put together a team now of 20 people who I think are sure-fire goners in 2020, but then it just looks... it doesn't sit right. I think I need to put the longlist away for a week and come back to it with fresh eyes when everyone else is finalising Xmas shopping.

My main team is going to be a typical "me"-main team, I.e. lots of high scorers that I am certain will die, but only a little more than half of them do.

The B-team will be a sure-fire/low-scorer team, and especially those who I usually wouldn't pick but who die anyway (joker: RBG). Those names just keep piling up.

The C-team will be the obit/death-risk dumpster team of people with questionable fame. Samantha Last goes there, and Litsa Menounos, and possibly Angie Douthit (though I would guess that she will be a Christmas death - it's what she wants).

I currently have 3 names on my longlist. 

• Like 1

On 06/12/2019 at 09:53, gcreptile said:

My main team is going to be a typical "me"-main team, I.e. lots of high scorers that I am certain will die, but only a little more than half of them do.

The B-team will be a sure-fire/low-scorer team, and especially those who I usually wouldn't pick but who die anyway (joker: RBG). Those names just keep piling up.

The C-team will be the obit/death-risk dumpster team of people with questionable fame. Samantha Last goes there, and Litsa Menounos, and possibly Angie Douthit (though I would guess that she will be a Christmas death - it's what she wants).

Hell, why not just name your C-Team 'Names I got cuz Sir Creep brought them to Deathlist'.  Two of the three you posted, so I can assume others.  Shite stealing Litsa, no one else has ever mentioned her. Alls fair though.  I've always a few new ones.  Angie going to let us both down, seeing as I won't be researching this year.  She wasn't my joker but a dead cert.
SC

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Hell, why not just name your C-Team 'Names I got cuz Sir Creep brought them to Deathlist'.  Two of the three you posted, so I can assume others.  Shite stealing Litsa, no one else has ever mentioned her. Alls fair though.  I've always a few new ones.  Angie going to let us both down, seeing as I won't be researching this year.  She wasn't my joker but a dead cert.
SC

Well, if I picked them, it would be because of my own research.

9 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

Absolutely none of those names would have been omitted from literally any person who did an ounce of research.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2019 at 16:27, gcreptile said:

I can't wait for the whole circus to start again.

Seems like Nell will not join the circus. 

Just pruned my list further, as one pick's health has improved since I picked them, and another looks fine in a recent photograph. Still need to find a couple more entries for my reserves, as one or two of my picks many not even make Christmas.

On 05/12/2019 at 19:29, Joey Russ said:

Cut some more names off, and yeah, can really tell that pairing this short list down to 20 will be extremely difficult, ngl...

Well, now that Kate Figes, Pete Frates, Nell Gifford, and Paul Volcker are all dead it makes the shortlist task a little bit easier. Despite so many names though, I can tell something is missing, but I don’t know what it is...

There's an absolutely fantastic "would never have obitted ten years ago" name that's a cert right now, but I'm 99% sure they won't make the starting line. Just a heads up....

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

There's an absolutely fantastic "would never have obitted ten years ago" name that's a cert right now, but I'm 99% sure they won't make the starting line. Just a heads up....

That could describe one of my picks. I'm holding off submitting mine for a week or two, as I'm sure that that particular person and possibly three others won't make it. As for my joker, I'm certain that no-one else will have picked them.

When you stumble onto a good name by a complete fluke, and yet you’re still unsure that you’ll pick them...

Also, isn’t it great when folk like Johnny Hallyday and Peter Skellern show up in your research again? Yeah, me too...

Right now I’m in my yearly cycle of doubting every pick in DDP and all I’m hoping is that for once I don’t make any grave mistakes. 

Ok I'll say it...

There's a very good name out there at the moment that has 0 mentions on the forums that I'm predicting will be on a very good amount of teams.

There's a fair few of those at the moment. The Fringey cert someone (not me) is going to pick hasn't been mentioned, nor has the potential Mark Farren of 2020, nor a Guardian luvvie or that 12 pointer who wouldn't be a QO cert even 2-3 years ago. Even the front page of the BBC statesman meant to be in grave health goes unmentioned. Seems like most folk are, as a former DDP host put it, keeping their powder dry.

And yes, none of them are Banana's pick...

19 minutes ago, msc said:

There's a fair few of those at the moment. The Fringey cert someone (not me) is going to pick hasn't been mentioned, nor has the potential Mark Farren of 2020, nor a Guardian luvvie or that 12 pointer who wouldn't be a QO cert even 2-3 years ago. Even the front page of the BBC statesman meant to be in grave health goes unmentioned. Seems like most folk are, as a former DDP host put it, keeping their powder dry.

Think I know the later and they on my shadow list but not a cert for the DDP..

22 minutes ago, msc said:

These sound exactly like the kind of picks that the more serious amongst the forums deadpoolers spend the entirety of December trying to keep secret only for one of the casual crowd to randomly pop them on a shadow list after a quick google on the 29th or 30th December thinking everybody must have them on their teams.  (To be clair I've no idea who they are).

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

These sound exactly like the kind of picks that the more serious amongst the forums deadpoolers spend the entirety of December trying to keep secret only for one of the casual crowd to randomly pop them on a shadow list after a quick google on the 29th or 30th December thinking everybody must have them on their teams.  (To be clair I've no idea who they are).

Yes, I always think that is absolutely hilarious, too! :D