maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2020

9 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Nice one, so you're third, 25 points off the lead according to the totting up I've already done

Anyone found a q/o for this cnut?

Nicholas_Parsons_2007.png

Only kidding, points on their way

So Crem's ONE death from victory now

The Old Crem - 1768

Banana - 1449

GC Reptile - 1424

• Shocked 1

On 21/11/2019 at 16:08, maryportfuncity said:

the score for each death is calculated as one point for each complete calendar day remaining in 2020 after the death of the team member; so a death on 1 January earns 364 pts, a death on 2 January earns 363 pts etc. (with appropriate leap year adjustments as required).

David Stern died on 1st January and scored 365 points, so it works out.

Deleted.  It's true but mean.  And as we all know I'm strictly pleasant and uplifting around here.

I think nearly everyone except the top 2 had Chris Doleman? Traffic jam near the top.

14 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

David Stern died on 1st January and scored 365 points, so it works out.

Aye, exactly - so it's the full days left after they die that score a point

5 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Just looked at the masterlist and noticed Vishwesha Teertha on 3 teams is still listed

He died Dec 29(DNS) and got same day obit

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/pejwar-math-head-vishwesha-theertha-swamiji-is-dead/articleshow/73014475.cms

On it, once I've quaffed a coffee and some fine flapjack from the local WI

That'll strengthen Crem's team by dropping Vera Lynn into the action for him

With Chris Doleman dead that's 18 different picks dead without a winner - feels like a lot.  

(yep just checked - took 9 picks dying in 2019 and 11 in 2018).

Oh aye, and two of those fielding subs for Teertha are on the podium so the new talent on Crem's team is Vera Lynn whilst Chorizo's recent surge up the running order could become almost unstoppable if Manolis Glezos pegs out

Seriously, I'm thinking someone's gonna take this in the next ten days!

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

With Chris Doleman dead that's 18 different picks dead without a winner - feels like a lot.  

(yep just checked - took 9 picks dying in 2019 and 11 in 2018).

And 19 picks with the 101 year old Wing Commander

This year, the race is more like a 110m hurdles competition with everyone repeatedly stumbling with every jump, yet the finish line comes slowly closer.

11 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Oh aye, and two of those fielding subs for Teertha are on the podium so the new talent on Crem's team is Vera Lynn whilst Chorizo's recent surge up the running order could become almost unstoppable if Manolis Glezos pegs out

Seriously, I'm thinking someone's gonna take this in the next ten days!

Since Glezos became the sub for Ed Battle,shouldn't my 2nd sub Javier Perez De Cuellar be the sub for Teertha

3 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Since Glezos became the sub for Ed Battle,shouldn't my 2nd sub Javier Perez De Cuellar be the sub for Teertha

Yeah, he is - my bad which I spotted once I opened the careful filing system that maintains the whole operation (one Word doc with all the teams in it and the words IN PLAY every time I put a sub on). You'll see the ex Secretary General (who may or may not have witnessed the most amazing UFO abduction ever) is now in action for you.

10 hours ago, gcreptile said:

This year, the race is more like a 110m hurdles competition with everyone repeatedly stumbling with every jump, yet the finish line comes slowly closer.

Aye, those shorter races often end in a close finish too and we're at the point now where the points on offer for a death could drag a few further down the order into contention but not quite over the line. 

I spend half of every day fending off sports reporters who say: "The world is watching this Maryport, which way d'ya think it's gonna go?"

• Like 1

John Andretti has died, which means I think Rad has won it?

If so, poetic that a racecar driver sees Rad cross the finish line of this speedy pool

Oh, wow... I'd intended to - at least temporarily - quit the forum (lot of stuff going on in my personal life, deadpooling a big distraction) after my previous post 2 weeks ago.

But then this morning something told me to log back on one last time and at first I thought "wow, my spidey senses wanted me to know that Deathray reacted assholishly to my tattoo? greeeat LOL" until I realized I was also a hair away from winning the Deathrace!

Now, back from classes, check Twitter to see Andretti's died... fuck sake I really won it a second time in a row?

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, msc said:

John Andretti has died, which means I think Rad has won it?

So, for the record - that'll be a q/o by our standards - https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2020/01/30/john-andretti-dies-age-5-x-colon-cancer-he-indycar-and-nascar-driver/3822509002/

12 hours ago, RadGuy said:

Oh, wow... I'd intended to - at least temporarily - quit the forum (lot of stuff going on in my personal life, deadpooling a big distraction) after my previous post 2 weeks ago.

But then this morning something told me to log back on one last time and at first I thought "wow, my spidey senses wanted me to know that Deathray reacted assholishly to my tattoo? greeeat LOL" until I realized I was also a hair away from winning the Deathrace!

Now, back from classes, check Twitter to see Andretti's died... fuck sake I really won it a second time in a row?

Aye, that would appear to be the case 

So for the stattos, 40 teams entered, 36 on the scoreboard before we hit 21 deaths at which point we seem to have a winner and 19 teams into four figures - some Deathrace records broken there I think though - personally speaking - I'm nowhere near anal enough to be bothered about serious investigation thereof. 

That said, here's the scoreboard above 1000 points which I'll leave to fester for a few hours in case some barrel scraper pegged out yesterday and hits local paper headlines in the next day or so. 

Feel free to alert me if that happens, if not then around the time I log in religiously to check out Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone on Six Music (8-00 Sunday) I'll contact Rad Guy and seek guidance on a suitable prize

Rad Guy - 2082

The Old Crem - 1768

Captain Chorizo - 1745

The Quim Reaper - 1707

Banana - 1449

Etushispushingupdaisies - 1430

GC Reptile - 1424

Prophet - 1421

MSC - 1412

Devon Death Trip - 1405

Clorox Bleachman - 1404

Drol - 1395

Maryportfuncity - 1392

Jiromenkimura - 1065

Toast - 1056

Death Impends - 1049

Joey Russ - 1046

Torva Messor - 1028

The Unknown Man - 1016

• Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

Congratulations.

• Thanks 1

Congrats to Rad. Really wish those two obitted, but I concede. 

• Thanks 1