I have enjoyed taking part in a number of dead pools this year, and would like to give back a bit more next year.  I'm not talented enough to come up with a brand new idea for a pool that I could run, but there is the low hanging fruit of simply sponsoring a team on the Doug Stanhope Celebrity Death Pool site.  I would be willing to put up the registration fee if there is enough interest.

Some of you are no doubt familiar with this site, but for those who are not, it's a site where you register your own pool (funeral home) and invite whoever you want (mourners)  to participate.  The nuts and bolts of it is that you choose 20 celebrities.  There are no QOs as such, but rather the celebrity you choose has to be in their database, which you will find is both somewhat American-centric and also sets the bar a bit higher than your average pool as far as celebrity needs to go.  Some of your more obscure, especially non-American, celebrities won't be in the database.   You can request they be added, but my experience is that they usually get shot down. 

Regardless, the formula for points is 100-age, with bonuses for pool uniques, site-wide uniques, and various other factors ( ie. suicide, overdose, birthday, airplane crash) each with their own cute title.  You are allowed one trade per month, on the 15th, but you can't choose someone who has already been taken in your pool.

This pool is how I started out with deadpools, and I take part in about 10 pools. There are other pools you can join if you wish and they have open entry, even some paid pools so you can make a couple of bucks. Pretty sure if we put a pool together, it would vie for the top pool in the site.

So tell you what, if you are interested, like this post.  If it looks like we can put together 15-20 people, I will register a funeral home for us and send out the invites to those interested.  In the meantime, if you are interested, check out the site (dscdp.com) and register a profile.  Maybe to keep it simple for invites and competition sake, use your alias on this site, or at least something recognizably similar.  If we decide to give it a go, I'm open to suggestions for funeral home names.

• Like 2

@Skinny kiltrunner aye, I know of your success over there, and kudos btw.   
I played Stanhope's league a couple times but up and quit over an obit issue (which I am convinced were such that 'we don't want SC to win' - and do I really think they were worried about me winning?  Yes).
HOWEVER - if it's a pile of my best friends from Deathlist, I'd be willing to pay and play.  
I"ll assume we would be subject to the subjectivity of whoever says aye or nay to our celebrity suggestions?  That was also a PITA.  But not unlike alt obits (offsite).  
Anyway, count me IN if we get the requisite # of players.

SirC

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

@Skinny kiltrunner aye, I know of your success over there, and kudos btw.   
I played Stanhope's league a couple times but up and quit over an obit issue (which I am convinced were such that 'we don't want SC to win' - and do I really think they were worried about me winning?  Yes).
HOWEVER - if it's a pile of my best friends from Deathlist, I'd be willing to pay and play.  
I"ll assume we would be subject to the subjectivity of whoever says aye or nay to our celebrity suggestions?  That was also a PITA.  But not unlike alt obits (offsite).  
Anyway, count me IN if we get the requisite # of players.

SirC

OK SC, thanks.   No pay to play, I will cover the registration.  We just need a bunch more folks to indicate interest before I do that. If it doesn't generate interest, that's fine- there's lots of action here.  Just thought it might be something different for folks.

• Like 1

I already have an active DSCDP account, registered for this year -- username is my DeathList handle spelled backward, but if your Funeral Home is by invite-only, my interest is keen.

Thank you for offering to register a funeral home!

As long as I don't need to pay, I am quite happy to beat Sir Creep in as many deadpools as possible. :D

(Although someone ought to take over the Cup given I cant run it next year...)

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

I already have an active DSCDP account, registered for this year -- username is my DeathList handle spelled backward, but if your Funeral Home is by invite-only, my interest is keen.

Yes, it will be invite only, which is why I need to know folk's username as far ahead as possible. Looks like we are at 4 so far. Keep 'em coming so I know if it will be worthwhile or not.  I would like to see this pool take top funeral home honors for the site (based on average player score).

A friend who posts on DL infrequently but participated in the Poker Tournament would, I wager, appreciate a DSCDP invite. She's registered for all the 2020 Funeral Homes accepting Mourners. I will DM you her handle ( same DSCDP/ DL).

9 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

A friend who posts on DL infrequently but participated in the Poker Tournament would, I wager, appreciate a DSCDP invite. She's registered for all the 2020 Funeral Homes accepting Mourners. I will DM you her handle ( same DSCDP/ DL).

Sounds good.  Tell her I will extend the invite once I have lined up enough folks to make the pool worthwhile. I will await her username and add it to my list.

6 hours ago, Torva Messor said:

:sherlock:

A bit of a greenhorn with regard to this type of thing (and this board), but I'm game if I'm welcome.

On 01/12/2019 at 12:15, msc said:

As long as I don't need to pay, I am quite happy to beat Sir Creep in as many deadpools as possible. :D

(Although someone ought to take over the Cup given I cant run it next year...)

:lol: Ha ha where is that coming from?  I never win anything ya silly git. 
Well I am certain you accomplish your goal many times each year, and I am happy to oblige. :(

3 hours ago, HDS said:

A bit of a greenhorn with regard to this type of thing (and this board), but I'm game if I'm welcome.

You are welcome,  of course.  Just remember to register a username on the site and let me know what it is, or I can't find you to send the invite. 

13 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

:lol: Ha ha where is that coming from?  I never win anything ya silly git. 
Well I am certain you accomplish your goal many times each year, and I am happy to oblige. :(

First rule of jesting - always pick someone who will take it well. :D

Also at that point you were the only one actually in the game, so the joke's sphere was... limited.

What's the old adage? Never eat a place called "Momma's", never play poker with a man named "Doc" and never assume anyone shares your sense of humour.

18 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

You are welcome,  of course.  Just remember to register a username on the site and let me know what it is, or I can't find you to send the invite. 

I appreciate it and look forward to 2020. Haben die Spaten on DSCDP.

9 minutes ago, HDS said:

I appreciate it and look forward to 2020. Haben die Spaten on DSCDP.

DUDE!

iiS84hOJXh1Pq.gif

the site all looks rather complicated for my limited skills.....however I believe I am a registered mourner (grobler) . 

How does it work?  Everybody picks 20 people?  Does everybody have to pick different people?

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

How does it work?  Everybody picks 20 people?

Everyone picks twenty celebrities from the DSCDP Database, plus up to five alternates per Funeral Home.

The twenty do not need to be unique to each Funeral Home, but 25 bonus points go to Solo picks that are hits. Solo entries have green Solo flair.

A site-wide solo nets a Mourner 100 points.

Assorted bonuses are awarded for cases like murder, daily doubles, suicide, dying on one's birthday, and a bonus voted upon by the populace the year before.

• Thanks 1

Does everyone make their selection independently, or do they know which names have already been chosen by others in their group?

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

Does everyone make their selection independently,

Yes. But AFTER the Funeral Home launches (from January 15 on), excepting Trade Days (15th of each month), Mourners can see fellow Mourners' lists in their Funeral Home. One can also see an alphabetized list (First Name) of all celebrities selected in the entire Funeral Home.

I knew it was going to be complicated....sigh.....

still...I have 20 plus on my watch list . Nice pictures on the site actually.....

40 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

Yes. But AFTER the Funeral Home launches (from January 15 on), excepting Trade Days (15th of each month), Mourners can see fellow Mourners' lists in their Funeral Home. One can also see an alphabetized list (First Name) of all celebrities selected in the entire Funeral Home.

But participants could confer on here before making their selections, yes? :evil2:

44 minutes ago, Toast said:

Does everyone make their selection independently, or do they know which names have already been chosen by others in their group?

Torva has mostly already answered this (thanks Torva!) But just to clarify further- you make your picks blind to what others are picking. Once the pool locks down and becomes active, you can then see everyone else's picks. On trade day though, you can't choose anyone who has already been picked previously. This protects your choices from being poached.

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

But participants could confer on here before making their selections, yes? :evil2:

If they wish, but keep in mind that solo picks get 25 bonus points, and that can make all the difference.