11 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

In retrospect Arap Moi and Gray should have been on everyone's team cause of the BHM bonus,and for the fact if they made it to March they could always be traded later in the year anyway

Bingo.

10 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Yep, you are right. I did that with Gray in the pay pools that started later, but I struggled mightily with my choices esrlier this year with so many possibilities,  figuring that if I didn't  take them now,  they would be unavailable later.  I also thought there was a real chance they would both die in January,  before the February bonus kicked in. Regardless,  it has sure made it interesting, and I have some ground to make up. 

2dbn5wJ6e362NxoqGo.gif

Plenty of time left and with the monthly opportunity for course correction, the game is there for the taking.

The law of averages is surely about to come back and bite me.

3 hours ago, HDS said:

The law of averages is surely about to come back and bite me.

The law of averages is a load of bollocks.

1 hour ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Revert to the mean, then?

If it floats your boat.  ;)

9 hours ago, Cat O'Falk said:

The law of averages is a load of bollocks.

Thanks for the evening reading. Perhaps I've just lost my ass in too many card games.

• Haha 1

It's been fairly quiet on our Fossorius Endeavor pool over at DSCDP.  Haben die Spaten maintains his lead, but the frenzied action has definitely slowed for now.  Temporary state of being, I'm sure.

However, on other fronts, Haben die Spaten and myself are now 1-2 in the site wide standings.  Matthew Watkins was a big hit for me (139 points) in some of my other pools, launching me forward in many pools.  I'm not sure why I didn't have him in our pool, but that's the way it goes sometimes.  So many names, so little room on the roster....

• Like 1

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that it seems to be taking a VERY long time for the admin on the site to process the requests for celebrities to be added?  I have had a number of them pass away while waiting, including the recently passed Laura Smith.  I must have submitted her 2 months ago.  It used to take a few days, or a week max.  It seems that they have just said screw it and given it up.  Not that they were ever that accommodating before anyway, with the much larger majority being denied.

6 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that it seems to be taking a VERY long time for the admin on the site to process the requests for celebrities to be added?  I have had a number of them pass away while waiting, including the recently passed Laura Smith.  I must have submitted her 2 months ago.  It used to take a few days, or a week max.  It seems that they have just said screw it and given it up.  Not that they were ever that accommodating before anyway, with the much larger majority being denied.

I've also had a number of submissions die on the vine along with several still in limbo. Perhaps the code monkeys are busy with other projects this time of year. But it is disappointing to miss on some of these waiting on a ruling.

• Like 1

I read, three-four weeks ago, one code monkey report a queue of 150 submissions. The DSCDP site is not their main source of income, and the committee is not an office-kitchen vote: international nonplayers as well as domestic comprise the approval committee.

I had one submission approved, one most apologetically denied "please try this narrowly denied celebrity another time." Crossing my fingers on a submission that should have already been in the database, where his colleagues are.

• Like 1

I think they make things too hard for themselves. To me, having a dedicated wikipedia page is enough to qualify as celebrity. Granted, some of them are pretty niche, and I may never have heard about them, but they are obviously famous in some circles, and who am I to judge?.  It also eliminates the FFBI types and family of celebrities for the most part, and keeps the interest level up. Keep it simple and accessible.

While I was browsing I tried a few celebs only to be astonished that they had been rejected.  Gerard Depardieu, for one.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

While I was browsing I tried a few celebs only to be astonished that they had been rejected.  Gerard Depardieu, for one.

This is one of the unfortunate features of the search function there.  You have to enter the name EXACTLY as it is officially spelled, meaning all accents and other uncommon features that I'm not even sure my keyboard has.  Copy/pasting from Wikipedia works, and in Gérard Depardieu's case worked as well- he is there.  Vietnamese politicians are especially fun- try typing Võ Văn Kiệt, as an example. He's not on the site, and is dead since 2008, but there are many other examples like him.

54 minutes ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

This is one of the unfortunate features of the search function there.  You have to enter the name EXACTLY as it is officially spelled, meaning all accents and other uncommon features that I'm not even sure my keyboard has.  Copy/pasting from Wikipedia works, and in Gérard Depardieu's case worked as well- he is there.  Vietnamese politicians are especially fun- try typing Võ Văn Kiệt, as an example. He's not on the site, and is dead since 2008, but there are many other examples like him.

I might have thought of that, but this is what came up:

We denied a previous request to add "Gerard Depardieu" to the database.

So I didn't look into it any further.   Misleading.  But thanks, I know now.

Yeah, I tried looking up some past dead pooling names for fun and was stunned when Stefan Karl Stefansson was rejected. Only that I found out later that he was on after all, I just didn’t put any accents on. Although on that note I don’t know how they rejected Johnny Clegg entirely...

Multiple hits for Genesis P, including everyone in the top 8 of Fossorius Endeavour.  Very nice, and we sit at position 4 on the list of all pools. Looks like we saw that one coming or something.

• Like 1

Just checked the DSCDP site, and I see we are now 2nd overall in pools. It looks like it was Grobler singlehandedly responsible for the jump from 4th, with Phil Phillips.  Site wide solo and the Machine Gun Kelly bonus for a massive 106 points. Well done. Next stop, first place.

• Like 1

"Phil Phillips.  Site wide solo and the Machine Gun Kelly bonus for a massive 106 points. "

How can grobler have a site-wide solo when I scored 106 points using Phil Phillips in DSCDP funeral home Necronomicon Suh? Two others elsewhere on DSCDP hit with their P.P.  Check the dashboard of the site.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Torva Messor said:

"Phil Phillips.  Site wide solo and the Machine Gun Kelly bonus for a massive 106 points. "

How can grobler have a site-wide solo when I scored 106 points using Phil Phillips in DSCDP funeral home Necronomicon Suh? Two others elsewhere on DSCDP hit with their P.P.  Check the dashboard of the site.

Simple skill I guess...:)

9 hours ago, Torva Messor said:

My bad. Phillips doesn't show anymore on the recent hit list,  so I did the math of probable bonuses (boni?) and figured he must have been a site wide solo. Nice hit for you then too, Torva. I thought the Machine Gun Kelly was 50 points, but its 75, so that's where I went wrong.

I do find the site rather opaque. It doesn't say who had the hits,  just the total number. If you want to find out that, you have to rather laboriously go through pools and members names.  

Two new features over at DSCDP.  

1. There is a new bonus for Covid-19- 19 point bonus if your pick dies from coronavirus.

B. There is going to be a trade day for every Wednesday in April,  starting on the 8th.  Now the trick will be finding someone on a ventilator that is actually in the database already, because if you have to request it, it will probably be too late.

Pn0gCV1oBkr3OUNc21.gif

I can't believe DSCDP just rejected the request to add Tim Brooks.  Most of my requests get rejected, and I'm usually not overly surprised, but this one should have gone through.

MDfMWxmG28mNG.gif

On 03/04/2020 at 23:36, Skinny kiltrunner said:

I can't believe DSCDP just rejected the request to add Tim Brooks.  Most of my requests get rejected, and I'm usually not overly surprised, but this one should have gone through.

MDfMWxmG28mNG.gif

I was disappointed to see the same. They have been particularly stingy as of late. Feels like we've been stuck in a still frame with points and submissions for a while.

If John Prine had survived 2 more days he might have been one of the most popular trades in the sites history.

Surprisingly,  no one of us had Sterling in this pool. Arya's List scores solo bonus points for Peter Bonetti, moving her into triple digits. She also has Greaves as a solo- daily double perchance?

• Shocked 1