In case others want to join before the deadline, the pool begins January 15th in which case the room then closes for any other entries to join. Remember that you need to tell me your username to get invited, as the pool is not searchable on the site. 
Also for those of you debuting for the first time, I think it needs to be known that the celebrity database is, er, interesting. IE there’s many names that aren’t on the database that you might find surprising. You can try to add new celebrities to the database but my experience is that 95% of the names you try to add ultimately ended getting rejected. So don’t get your hopes up that one of your new names could get added on to the database...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

In case others want to join before the deadline, the pool begins January 15th in which case the room then closes for any other entries to join. Remember that you need to tell me your username to get invited, as the pool is not searchable on the site. 
Also for those of you debuting for the first time, I think it needs to be known that the celebrity database is, er, interesting. IE there’s many names that aren’t on the database that you might find surprising. You can try to add new celebrities to the database but my experience is that 95% of the names you try to add ultimately ended getting rejected. So don’t get your hopes up that one of your new names could get added on to the database...

I’ll echo Joey here. Obviously, it’s more subjective. I think it largely depends on which site admin is reviewing a submission on a given day. Some added entries and rejections alike are baffling. Not unfair, but restrictive. 

20 minutes ago, HDS said:

I’ll echo Joey here. Obviously, it’s more subjective. I think it largely depends on which site admin is reviewing a submission on a given day. Some added entries and rejections alike are baffling. Not unfair, but restrictive. 

They have a committee vote on entry applications.  They were looking for people to join that committee a few years back, if I recall correctly.  You can't play the game if you are on it, though.  Interestingly (not really), a year before William H. Gates was included on the Death List he was actually removed from their database... because of me, basically.  Was being helpful by sending them birth dates for a number of database residents and it triggered a second look at him, and a few others.  He was deemed not famous enough to stick around.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

They have a committee vote on entry applications.  They were looking for people to join that committee a few years back, if I recall correctly.  You can't play the game if you are on it, though.  Interestingly (not really), a year before William H. Gates was included on the Death List he was actually removed from their database... because of me, basically.  Was being helpful by sending them birth dates for a number of database residents and it triggered a second look at him, and a few others.  He was deemed not famous enough to stick around.

I guess the committee isn’t completely shite after all

19 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

I’ve had several folks rejected from database inclusion due to unverified DOB. Bummer.

I had no idea about the committee being a legit thing. Seems like an under appreciated responsibility. 

Just now, HDS said:

I’ve had several folks rejected from database inclusion due to unverified DOB. Bummer.

I had no idea about the committee being a legit thing. Seems like an under appreciated responsibility. 

I'd say about 90% of my submissions are voted down.  If I've noticed any pattern it's that there is a higher bar set for the inclusion of names from the UK.

I think I'll give this a miss, thanks. 

For anyone else wanting to join there's about a week left before the pool begins and no more entrants can enter it

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

For anyone else wanting to join there's about a week left before the pool begins and no more entrants can enter it

What the fuck is it and what are the rules?

1 minute ago, Bentrovato said:

What the fuck is it and what are the rules?

Hi, there is a website called the Doug Stanhope Celebrity Death Pool, and basically you register an account, find some pools to join and pick 20 celebrities on the database. (Although the pool I’m hosting is invite only so I need your username if you want to join the Deathlist’s pool)

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Hi, there is a website called the Doug Stanhope Celebrity Death Pool, and basically you register an account, find some pools to join and pick 20 celebrities on the database. (Although the pool I’m hosting is invite only so I need your username if you want to join the Deathlist’s pool)

Site looks good. But seems a bit American names which mean nothing to me. Though Tommy Docherty is up there. 

9 pages of discussion and still a week before the game starts.  Skinny's got to be rethinking biting off this ball of cud.  Anyway, I'm not going to read all 9 pages of chat here, but I am familiar with the site and have been playing for a few years, so I am in.  I go by the same name (not sure why we would want pseudonyms for our pseudonyms, some people really ARE too competitive), so if I can join just send me the invite.  I will be checking the site every few days until game time.  Since it is Yankcentric, maybe it's a forum where I will have a chance against some of you superstars.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wormfarmer said:

9 pages of discussion and still a week before the game starts.  Skinny's got to be rethinking biting off this ball of cud.  Anyway, I'm not going to read all 9 pages of chat here

But if you had read "all 9 pages of chat" you would have seen that eight of the pages are about last year's game. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

There are about 30 hours or so to enter this pool if you want. So consider this a warning if you want to enter...

Right, the pool is in the process of locking down now, so might as well reveal my team: 

Alan Dean Foster

Antonio Inoki

Arno

Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee

David Gulpilil

Dustin Diamond

Guy Lafluer 

Hannah Wants

Heinz Kluetmeier

Jake The Snake Roberts

James Whale

Leon Spinks

Linda Nolan

Michael Caputo

Necro Butcher

Rob Burrow

Rush Limbaugh

Sylvain Sylvain

Tim Shaw

Tom Parker

15 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Right, the pool is in the process of locking down now, so might as well reveal my team: 

Alan Dean Foster

Antonio Inoki

Arno

Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee

David Gulpilil

Dustin Diamond

Guy Lafluer 

Hannah Wants

Heinz Kluetmeier

Jake The Snake Roberts

James Whale

Leon Spinks

Linda Nolan

Michael Caputo

Necro Butcher

Rob Burrow

Rush Limbaugh

Sylvain Sylvain

Tim Shaw

Tom Parker

You know, when I pushed Inoki (who was previously rejected, for some reason) for entry into the database I didn't think it'd be used against me.... at least not in the first home to open.  I went very vanilla with my picks in this home, as I usually do in the early openers (of course, there's a lot less at stake this year with no pay homes).

Alan Dean Foster

Alcee Hastings UNIQUE

David Crosby

David Gulpilil

George Alagiah UNIQUE

Glynis Johns UNIQUE

James Whale

Jimmy Carter

Joanne Woodward

Larry King

Leon Spinks

Linda Nolan

Linda Ronstadt UNIQUE

Rush Limbaugh

Sarah Harding

Susan Bayh

Tim Curry UNIQUE

Tom Parker

Tom Weiskopf

Yoo Sang-chul

I like this year's EGOT bonus, opens up more interesting avenues for play than the under 50 bonus did

Well, the two teams who picked Sylvain Sylvain are either off to the fastest start in the history of the website (I'm guessing) or they are playing the rest of the season with only 19 picks.  Question is: in what time zone was he when he died?

Bill Freehan

david_gulpilil_0.jpg
David Gulpilil

dustin_diamond_9570.jpg
Dustin Diamond

profile_image_generic.png
Guy Lafleur
Biography

james_whale_0.jpg
James Whale

jiang_zemin_39466.jpg
Jiang Zemin
Solo

joanne_woodward_38973.jpg
Joanne Woodward

karen_lewis_0.png
Karen Lewis

leon_spinks_33925.jpg
Leon Spinks

linda_nolan_0.jpg
Linda Nolan
Mary E. Fairhurst
Solo

rush_limbaugh1_21545.jpg
Rush Limbaugh
sacheen_littlefeather_0.jpg
Sacheen Littlefeather
Solo

Sarah Harding

Sir Frank Williams

Susan B. Bayh

sylvain_sylvain_0.jpg
Sylvain Sylvain

tom_parker_0.jpg
Tom Parker

yoo_sang-chul_0.jpg
Yoo Sang-chul

yuriko,_princess_mikasa_0.jpg
Yuriko, Princess Mikasa
Solo

And depending on the exact ruling by DSCP committee either got one of the first hits of the year(Sylvian) or am playing a 19 person team

Here's how the Sylvain Sylvain death is going to break down: if his date of death is listed as the 14th (which it still is here in the states) or earlier it's no hit.  I'm guessing that this is the case but there's a chance the site admins might allow your first alternate pick to slide into that spot instead of being down to 19.

If they allow the first alt to go in for me it would be Gerd Muller. 

Did the math(s) and here's how my team breaks down in terms of potential points (factoring in season & solo bonuses but not all the unpredictable ones the site also has):

image.png.f9bdef961f798b349c550acf965bc779.png

4 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

You appear to be the man, on the site, to beat this year @HDS

Too much respected competition, but I appreciate the compliment just the same. I’m sure it’s good to be the king. I’d love to find out in 11 months, but a long way to go.

Damn. I tune out and go for an extra shift at work and Gresini is back from the dead. What a reversal of fortune for many people. Gresini most of all. 

Just now, HDS said:

Too much respected competition, but I appreciate the compliment just the same. I’m sure it’s good to be the king. I’d love to find out in 11 months, but a long way to go.

Damn. I tune out and go for an extra shift at work and Gresini is back from the dead. What a reversal of fortune for many people. Gresini most of all. 

Yes, I've a lot riding on his fate... though, you also have him in most homes in which I already trail you.  As for it being "good to be the king" lol, I'm sure it used to be.  Back before Skinny started creating issues the site-wide points winner got to pick the following year's bonus category.... which was a goal of mine... but they stopped doing that.  The site doesn't even really get any lip services on Stanhope's own podcast anymore.