msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

My main team (i.e. not the Rons) has been submitted, and while I've been out supporting Ireland's economy, its been checked and approved, so thanks to GUN for giving up at least part of your Sunday for us.

Now onto the Rons.

• Thanks 1

Teams sent. The usual fair but a few tweaks.

Deathray's Kervorkian Clinic - rather than the usual fair of minor celebrities i've went full out for a team that could rival shameless (i'm not sure if msc has shoved shameless in this year with running it, if not a spiritual successor perhaps). Either nobody obits or I'm genuinely dissapointed if it does well and never try this trick again. Yes, it can only be a protest against the obit rules, can't it? Well typing fire and fury on here has never worked*..... 

Cobbles to a Coffin - corrie actors, very little thought.

Shot in the Dark - if Cobbles is very little thought this is absolutely no thought - first 25 names (inc subs) that came into my head - Wilfrid Zaha features prominently - make your own conclusions.

*please don't take this the wrong way guys, I'm grateful for all those who run the DDP - i've made my little stament precisely because i enjoy playing the game and want to continue enjoying it and many happy returns and a merry christmas to you all......

• Like 1

Just submitted my two teams, main and B team.  It's going to be another really interesting year with lots of great picks.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Spoiler

(As of 1/1/2018, the death announcements section of broadsheet websites, which members of the general public can pay for listings, are excluded)

…and from these news sites:
The notice of death must be in written English. Video links are only accepted if the strapline mentions the celeb’s passing.

The following news sources are excluded as from 1st January 2016: Huffington Post UK, MSN UK, Yahoo UK, Scotsman, Daily Record, STV and UTV.

The Independent has now been removed as of 1st January 2017 as it no longer has a regular print edition. i is a valid obit source as of 1/1/2018.

Anyone else feeling like it's about time to update the QO links in the rules page. Is it really necessary to state which sites aren't acceptable anymore?

Example:

• OBITUARY QUALIFICATION:
    To win points, there must be the mention of a celebrity’s death on a national online news source:
    • BBC*
      • bbc.co.uk/news
      • bbc.co.uk/sport
      • bbc.co.uk/newsbeat
    • telegraph.co.uk
    • thetimes.co.uk
    • ft.com
    • theguardian.com
    • dailymail.co.uk
    • express.co.uk
    • dailystar.co.uk
    • thesun.co.uk
    • mirror.co.uk
    • morningstaronline.co.uk
    • inews.co.uk
    • heraldscotland.com
    • uk.reuters.com
    • news.sky.com/uk
    • skysports.com
    • itv.com/news* (this includes local news pages)
    • channel4.com/news

Takes away all the confusion.

1 hour ago, Spookygal said:

Do you know how to do it? My mail has been returned three times.

Thanks

Hi Spookygal - I’ve received loads of entries successfully so suggest problem is something you are doing.

1) Can you give me one of your team names to check I haven’t already received?

2) Can you double check email address you are sending to please.

Thanks, GUN

Also, I urge at least one person to carry on the most unlikely sequence in the DDP and ensure Maude Apatow is picked for a fourth year running.

Just for fun and to shut those who subtlety accuse me of nicking Hare's Picks every year up (only a handful of these would qualify for the Hare's anyway and there on my Hare's team, already sent to YW) and for the laugh here's my team with names and easily identifying information redacted. Feel free to add them to your team if you work them out.

mMo0Uli.png

Edit = apparently No 18 died a few days ago - it was Ron Hogg.

Edited by Kinnock
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Just for fun and to shut those who subtlety accuse me of nicking Hare's Picks every year up (only a handful of these would qualify for the Hare's anyway and there on my Hare's team, already sent to YW) and for the laugh here's my team with names and easily identifying information redacted. Feel free to add them to your team if you work them out.

mMo0Uli.png

:facepalm: Why???

Just now, Joey Russ said:

:facepalm: Why???

Read the post a few above it in which I've set out my reasons..... 

15 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Teams sent. The usual fair but a few tweaks.

Deathray's Kervorkian Clinic - rather than the usual fair of minor celebrities i've went full out for a team that could rival shameless (i'm not sure if msc has shoved shameless in this year with running it, if not a spiritual successor perhaps). Either nobody obits or I'm genuinely dissapointed if it does well and never try this trick again. Yes, it can only be a protest against the obit rules, can't it? Well typing fire and fury on here has never worked*.....  

Cobbles to a Coffin - corrie actors, very little thought.

Shot in the Dark - if Cobbles is very little thought this is absolutely no thought - first 25 names (inc subs) that came into my head - Wilfrid Zaha features prominently - make your own conclusions.

*please don't take this the wrong way guys, I'm grateful for all those who run the DDP - i've made my little stament precisely because i enjoy playing the game and want to continue enjoying it and many happy returns and a merry christmas to you all......

Wrong DDP Cmme member, Shameless was Reptile's team as in the list of cancer mum nobodies and it always got a groan from me. Unless you mean my non-obit team this year, which was more "they are notable in their niche but not that much" picks to tease DDP regulars, only half of them got bloody obits.

In general terms, if there is an upswing in FFBI-only type picks, then the Cmme will look at that, and may well take drastic action for 2021.

At the moment we're trusting the DDPers not to be twats...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Right I'm on Christmas holiday now until at least Boxing Day so if you enter next couple of days you won't get your entry confirmation till at least Boxing Day.

Merry Christmas Everybody!

Best wishes, GUN

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This has to be the most difficult entry I have worked on in my 7 entries to the DDP.So many strong names still knocking about.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Wrong DDP Cmme member, Shameless was Reptile's team as in the list of cancer mum nobodies and it always got a groan from me. Unless you mean my non-obit team this year, which was more "they are notable in their niche but not that much" picks to tease DDP regulars, only half of them got bloody obits.

In general terms, if there is an upswing in FFBI-only type picks, then the Cmme will look at that, and may well take drastic action for 2021.

At the moment we're trusting the DDPers not to be twats...

No I meant Shameless, always thought that was your's not gcreptiles for some reason. I mean at least five on that list are famous enough they'll feature on dozens of proper 'in the spirit of the game' DDP teams so it's not as bad as shameless. 

Re bold: point taken......

Decided to do a Disney theme team for those involved with their animated feature films while Walt Disney was still alive (died in 1966, so the limit should be The Jungle Book, released in 1967). They are few enough to make DDP 2020 probably the last chance to find 20 people that are eligible. Struggling with the team name; the best I've got so far is "This Knee Ain't What It Used To Be", which is more of (an attempt at) a pun/double entendre than a nostalgic complaint, cuz Disney obviously has made many good films after Walt's death.

On 23/12/2019 at 11:20, Kinnock said:

mMo0Uli.png

Just to follow this up here's the team I would have submitted if I wasn't being a dickhead. I'll tot points up for both next year,

1. Andrea Swift (Taylor Swift's mum)
  2. James Church (Charlotte Church's step dad)
  3. Prince Philip (duke of edingburgh)
  4. Bill Turnbull (BBC Presenter)
  5. George Alagaih (BBC Presenters)
  6. Rob Burrow (Leeds Rhino) 
  7.  Joao Bolsanaro (President of Brazil)
  8. Daniel Arap Moi (former President of Kenya) 
  9.  Neil Shippley (premier league striker)
  10.  Stephen Gough (exhibitionist)
  11.  Ozzy Osbourne
  12.  Ron Brierely (billionaire)  
  13.  Jana Bennett (BBC executive)
  14.  Billy Connolly
  15.  Dave Clark (darts player)
  16.  Paul Sinha (The Chase)
  17.  Nobby Stiles (footballer)
  18.  Ruth Bader Ginsburg
  19.  Dennis Goldberg
  20.  Prince Philip
  21.  June Brown
  22.  Anne Reid
  23.  William Russell

6 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Stephen Gough (exhibitionist)

True story, I once took pity on Stephen Gough and let him camp in my field for a couple of days after he'd been beaten up by a group of outraged Orthodox Jewish hikers.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Just to follow this up here's the team I would have submitted if I wasn't being a dickhead. I'll tot points up for both next year,

1. Andrea Swift (Taylor Swift's mum)
  3. Prince Philip (duke of edingburgh)
  4. Bill Turnbull (BBC Presenter)
  5. George Alagaih (BBC Presenters)
  6. Rob Burrow (Leeds Rhino) 
  7.  Joao Bolsanaro (President of Brazil)
  8. Daniel Arap Moi (former President of Kenya) 
  9.  Neil Shippley (premier league striker)
  10.  Stephen Gough (exhibitionist)
  11.  Ozzy Osbourne
  12.  Ron Brierely (billionaire)  
  13.  Jana Bennett (BBC executive)
  14.  Billy Connolly
  15.  Dave Clark (darts player)
  16.  Paul Sinha (The Chase)
  17.  Nobby Stiles (footballer)
  18.  Ruth Bader Ginsburg
  19.  Dennis Goldberg
  20.  Prince Philip
  21.  June Brown
  22.  Anne Reid
  23.  William Russell

Well, I guess you only live twice :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

Well, I guess you only live twice :D

Ah whatever there's subs....

And that one hasn't been submitted anyway so it doesn't run the risk of momentarily confusing GUN

Sent the teams in and already regretting that...

On 23/12/2019 at 11:20, Kinnock said:

mMo0Uli.png

Seen as I've posted this publicly in the Deathrace thread might as well post it publically here.

1. Lisa Griffits (vowed to beat cancer - Daily Mail favourite)
  3. Garry Holmes (sun favourite  with runny nose that turned out to be cancer)
  4. Rob Burrow (motor neurone disease, Leeds Rhino)
  5. Sheila Yeo (former primary school teacher who contracted cancer and is trying to blame it on the school)
  6. Tracey Hill (terminally ill woman who's co-workers and friends made a naked calendar for in the welsh valleys)
  7. Bruce Evans (terminally ill Great North Air Ambulance volunteer who's vowed not to give up the fight)
  8. Doug Allen (terminally ill but won't kill himself due to wife facing clink for helping - daily mail coverage)
  9. Edwin Smith (terminally ill man living in Thailand who had a gofundme started to bring him home to Ireland)
  10. Haley Casey (cancer mum)
  11. Simona Birdsell (cancer mum)
  12. James Matthews (father of a girl who somehow made the news for caring for them and a free laptop)
  13. Roberta Burton (another cancer mum)
  14. Lisa Fry (another cancer mum)
  15. Bethan Close (another cancer mum)
  16. Andrea Swift (cancer mum _ Taylor Swifts to be precise)
  17. Debbie Winn (cancer mum)
  18. Ron Hogg (terminally ill Police Commissioner and right to life campaigner)
  19. Peter McLeave (terminally ill former ironman competitor)
  20. Ria Collins (cancer mum)
  21. Dr Peter B Scott Morgan (worlds first 'full cyborg)
  22. The Amazing Johnathan (magician - stand up comedian)
  23. Charlie Bishop (cancer dad)

6 hours ago, drol said:

Sent the teams in and already regretting that...

Why? No-one coming out the woodwork yet.

9 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Why? No-one coming out the woodwork yet.

Just a few minutes after I sent them I found a low-hanging dead cert and guaranteed to obit, though it is not surely a household name. Bad luck.