msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

These are my three theme teams for 2020.

#1 Hits

A theme team of people who've had a record peak at #1 in the UK Singles Chart (either solo or as part of a group). 5th year in the DDP.

Last year's position on the team is given in brackets, where applicable.

1. (5) Vera Lynn
  2. (1) Nobby Stiles (England World Cup Squad '70)
  3. (2) Olivia Newton-John
  4. (6) Tony Baylis (Wurzels)
  5. (8) Willie Nelson (USA for Africa)
  6. (new) Stevie Wonder
  7. (new) David Crosby (Byrds)
  8. (re) Chris Rea (Band Aid II)
  9. (7) Chris Farlowe
  10. (11) Jane Morgan
  11. (14) Harry Belafonte
  12. (13) Rolf Harris
  13. (new) Jerry Lee Lewis
  14. (new) Jerry Keller
  15. (new) Trevor Burton (Move)
  16. (new) Dave Munden (Tremeloes)
  17. (new) Plas Johnson (B. Bumble and the Stingers)
  18. (new) Tony Bennett
  19. (new) Paul Gascoigne (ENGLANDNEWORDER)
  20. (19) David Graham (Peter Kay's Animated All Star Band)

This team had three hits in 2019: Peter Tork (4), Doris Day (10), and Windsor Davies (18). Two people died without a qualifying obit: Larry Cunningham (15) and Derrick 'Johnny' Henry (16). Survivors dropped from the team are: Richard Tandy (3), Little Jimmy Osmond (9), Anita Doth (12), Phil Creswick (17), and Demi Lovato (20).

Unpersons

A theme team of Big Brother housemates (including Celebrity Big Brother and other spin-offs). 5th year in the DDP.

Last year's position on the team is given in brackets, where applicable.

1. (4) Jackie Stallone
  2. (3) Linda Nolan
  3. (6) Ken Morley
  4. (5) Julie Goodyear
  5. (8) Lionel Blair
  6. (2) Danniella Westbrook
  7. (10) Gary Busey
  8. (re) Michael Barrymore
  9. (re) Paddy Doherty
  10. (11) Ron Atkinson
  11. (12) Amanda Barrie
  12. (9) Bruce Jones
  13. (new) Stephanie Davis
  14. (new) Lewis Bloor
  15. (new) Scotty T
  16. (new) Ann Widdecombe
  17. (16) Germaine Greer
  18. (new) Kellie Maloney
  19. (7) Rebekah Shelton
  20. (14) Lauren Harries

This team had one hit in 2019: John McCririck (1). Survivors dropped from the team are: Marco Pierre White Jr (13), Kim Woodburn (15), The Situation (17), Rodrigo Alves (18), Roxanne Pallett (19), and Lewis Flanagan (20).

The X_X Factor

A one-off theme team of people who've competed on The X Factor in the UK (including its celebrity spin-offs). Solo acts or members of groups.

1. Chico Slimani
  2. Shelley Smith
  3. Anthony Russell
  4. Frankie Cocozza
  5. Christopher Maloney
  6. Brenda Edwards
  7. Tracyleanne Jefford
  8. Peter Jones (2 to Go)
  9. Octavia Columbro (Bratavio)
  10. Mary Byrne
  11. Vinnie Jones
  12. James Hewitt (James & Rebecca)
  13. Debbie McGee (Paul & Debbie)
  14. Nicholas McDonald
  15. Gillian McKeith
  16. Rachel Hylton
  17. Wagner Fiuza-Carrilho
  18. Verity Keays
  19. Jonjo Kerr
  20. Danny Tetley

Those were my three theme teams for 2020.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John John said:

2nd year for Smart Beta in the Derby. 

Smart Beta
Lee Kerslake (joker)
Gianluca Vialli
Tim Bilton (chef)
Peter Schjeldahl
George Alagiah
Pat Smullen
Yoo Sang-chul
John Lewis
Arash Sadeghi
David Gulpilil
Susan Bayh
Bernard Tapie
Frankie Banali
Bob Gibson
Chris Doleman
Alex Trebek
David Stern
Jana Bennett
Budi Tek
Peter Tobin

literally the ONLY person who has posted a lineup including Stern.  Well done!  Should get a first hit bonus if only we had one.

36 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

literally the ONLY person who has posted a lineup including Stern.  Well done!  Should get a first hit bonus if only we had one.

thank you

Work on the new DDP carries on apace with the data entry, between Grim (who has done shitloads of the ground work), Reptile (a solid hand we can rely on) and, err, me (pray for the DDP...) .

• Like 7

On 01/01/2020 at 17:34, Death Impends said:

McCririck and Smith were not even publicly known to have cancer until after their deaths, even if it could be reasonably guessed off appearance alone. If anything Scruton has less conjecture involved.

An erudite argument he'd likely appreciate if it wasn't about his impending death!

My two Teams

Toms Chainsaw Massacre

1) Alex Trebek (Joker)

2) Genesis P-Orridge

3) David Gulpilil

4) Frankie Banali

5) Sinisa Mihajlovic

6) Eddie Van Halen

7) Doug Supernow

8) Nobby Stiles

9) Tom Smith

10) Terry Jones

11) Peter Sutcliffe

12) Olivia Newton-John

13) John Andretti

14) Matthew Glaetzer

15) Lee Kerslake

16) Luton Shelton

17) Sam Lloyd

18) Dale Hawerchuck

19) Gerd Müller

20) Bernard Tapie

Team B includes oldies, but goldies, essentially DL-classics

Team-Name: Knocking on Heavens Door

1) Kirk Douglas

2) Javier Perez

3) Olivia De Havilland

4) Vera Lynn

5) Prince Philip

6) Stirling Moss

7) Henry Kissinger

8) Betty White

9) Jimmy Carter

10) Pierre Cardin

11) Leslie Philips

12) Bob Dole

13) Daniel Arap-Moi

14) Murray Walker

15) Iris Apfel

16) Nicholas Parsons

17) Agnes Keleti

18) Bob Barker

19) Dilip Kumar

20) Francisco Morales Bermudez

• Like 4

DDP latest (in terms of being open and try and stop the annual "whens the update? Its 3rd January already!" moaners):

Grim has been going through all the new celebrities added in 2020. There was 300 on the database from the pre-Christmas period, and another 620 to process of which 154 were dealt with today. This includes checking to see if they are actually alive first - more difficult than it looks for some of the obscure sods chosen!

Once added to the big excel thing, me and Reptile have been going through that and actually adding the information to each name. Gender, DOB, are they alive, descriptions, etc, that sort of thing. Again, some folk (Jim Steinman) are easier to cover than others (some random Princess of no place, Europe...).

Work is moving steadily onwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 11

Give us a shout if/when you want photos for new picks.  A few of us have helped out with this previously.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, msc said:

DDP latest (in terms of being open and try and stop the annual "whens the update? Its 3rd January already!" moaners):

Grim has been going through all the new celebrities added in 2020. There was 300 on the database from the pre-Christmas period, and another 620 to process of which 154 were dealt with today. This includes checking to see if they are actually alive first - more difficult than it looks for some of the obscure sods chosen!

Once added to the big excel thing, me and Reptile have been going through that and actually adding the information to each name. Gender, DOB, are they alive, descriptions, etc, that sort of thing. Again, some folk (Jim Steinman) are easier to cover than others (some random Princess of no place, Europe...).

Work is moving steadily onwards.

Awesome work! I added wikipedia links when I submitted my lists. Hopefully that helped.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2020 at 22:59, Etushispushingupdaisies said:

My team.

1. Kirk Douglas
2. Alex Trebek (JOKER)
3. George Alagiah
4. Frankie Banali
5. John Andretti
6. Lee Kerslake
7. Gianluca Vialli
8. Roger Scruton
9. Bob Gibson
10. Alcee Hastings
11. Tabare Vazquez
12. Ruth Bader Ginsberg
13. Mark Gastineau
14. Tom Smith 
15. Doddie Weir
16. Vasily Kulkov 
17. Anastasia Zavorotniuk 
18. Genesis P-Orridge
19. David Gullpilil
20. Pat Smullen.

My assessment. 

Kirk - Super-old, so I think 80% chance of him dying.

Trebek - Has stage 4 pancan, which means he's effed. 75%

Alagiah - Has been battling colon cancer since 2014, he's trying to outlast my grandpa who had prostate cancer removed along with a chunk of his bowel in 2004-2005 (he was 73 then) and died only 11 years later, 65%

Banali - Has pancreatic cancer and Looks frail, totally effed, 98%

Andretti - Still battling colon cancer, 60%.

Vialli -  another pancan sufferer, 80%

Scruton - has cancer and looks frail, 75 %

Gibson - No info on his stage, but he's 84, 70%.

Hastings - Has Pancan, but is running for re-election, might die shortly after re-election, my only team has been sent weeks before Lewis' diagnosis has been reported, 45%

Vazquez - Has stage 4 lung cancer,but his condition is improving, 50%

Ginsberg - Ruthie has survived 3 battles with 3 different types of cancer, but she's turning 87, so it might be her year, should've picked Bernard Tapie, 55%.

Gastineau - Demented football player with early-onset Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and colon cancer, but the tumor has been removed, 60%

Smith - The cancer has spread to his brain, and it's up to no good, so 95%

Weir - Has MND, but Judging by Hawking's longevity, he may make it to 76,I should've picked Jason Becker (neoclassical metal guitarist), so 40%

Kulkov - Has stage 3 esophageal cancer, but the tumor has been removed and he's been discharged 3 weeks ago, if he survives this year, he's certainly a goner in 2021-early 2022, 45%

Zavorotniuk - If the rumors that she has brain cancer are true, it's 85%, if the tabloids are lying and she's just tired,  then it's 0,001%.

Porridge - They can't fight leukemia for too long, 65%.

Gulpilil - Terminal lung cancer, certainly effed, 90%

Smullen - Pancreatic cancer has returned, 85% I think . 

I think my score won't be less than 105

What are your assessments of your teams?

Here's my other teams. Pretty fucking generic I know.

Life Flies By So Fast:

1. Alex Trebek (Jeopardy host) (Joker)
2. Luigi (Gigi) Simoni (football coach)
3. Genesis P Orridge (punk musician)
4. George Alagiah (news host)
5. Lee Kerslake (Ozzy drummer)
6. Nobby Stiles (footballer)
7. Dilip Kumar (Indian actor)
8. Jill Gascoine (Brit actress)
9. Shane MacGowan (punk singer)
10. John Andretti (racecar driver) 
11. Sam Lloyd (actor)
12. Denis Goldberg (south african activist)
13. Abdelaziz Bouteflika (politician)
14. David Crosby (musician)
15. Tommy LaSorda (Baseball player)
16. Jason Becker (guitar player)
17. Frankie Banali (Quiet Riot drummer)
18. Jean-Louis Trintignant (french actor)
19. Chris Doleman (american football player)
20. Chris Mortenson (ESPN nfl analyst)
I Hope You Had The Time Of Your Life
1. Kirk Douglas (actor) (Joker)
2. Donald Trump (businessman, former US president)
3. John Hume (Irish Politician)
4. Bob Dole (american politician)
5. Jeanne Little (Australian Actress)
6. Ruth Bader Ginsburg (American judge)
7. Jimmy Greaves (footballer)
8. Bill Turnbull (newsreader)
9. Greg Gilbert (Delays singer)
10. Monica Vitti (actress)
11. Larry King (news guy)
12. Tim Curry (actor)
13. Norm MacDonald (comedian)
14. John Travolta (actor)
15. Ray Kennedy (footballer)
16. Ozzy Osborne (singer)
17. Sumner Redstone (media tycoon)
18. Val Kilmer (actor)
19. Kodak Black (rapper)
20. Barry DuBois (celeb builder)

• Like 1

Your deadpool is a pile of fucking shit.

•  

I know it doesn't matter here, but Tom Long was 51 not 50.  Well maybe it does?  Anyway.....

As the FA Cup takes place today maybe it's time to talk about the magic of the cup, the shocks, the unexpected results.

The BBC chose Liverpool v Everton which is frankly an admission on there part of being bitter they don't have PL rights and no longer invested in the magic of the cup, the fun and the frovilics the upsets, the little team goes to the multi-million pound team (Port Vale at Man City)......

Maybe the DDP could learn a few parallels from this before it loses any more of the stalwart players who've been steadily dissapearring the past few fucking years. Sack of the glorified cancer mums and get a fucking proper obit requirement in. Front Page BBC minimum. Actually a professional celebrity of category, politicians - at least a Mayor, Lord, MEP or MP... maybe MSPs  - no fucking local councillors and parish busybodies. Musicians  - at least a top 40 hit single....

Common you cunts, we can restore the magic of the DDP before it festers in it's own self-indulgence like the FA Cup now it's scrapped quarter final replays to accommodate a break for the premier league football players while the lower leagues still have to fit it round normal life. DDP obsessives get the benefit of the Drop 40 that penalises those who put more effort in looking for obscure names who might get an obit and make it more interesting in favour of lazy cunts who pick forum picks (introduced to lessen the backend workload but devalues the competition)

Proposal

• Scrap the Drop 40 bonus.
  • Increase the unique bonus.
  • Institute a genuine fame requirement
  • Ban anybody with cancer/terminal illness or other blatant health conditions that are terminal being picked....

• Like 1

So, assessments and that

Tom Smith - jkr; got to be nailed on given the links etc. posted and likely a massive DDP pick when it's all revealed

Daniel Arap Moi - nailed on, v. old as well and a percentage pick who should cash in.

Frankie Banali - on balance I'd say a likely contender and may well be Drop 40

Tom Belso - trusting OoO who's proven highly reliable (74 years old so a few points)

James Church - hard to call but without a few of these guesses there's no competition. I'm guessing one of him or Andrea Swift will cash in

Judy Dyble - FIRST SINGER IN FAIRPORT CONVENTION - one of two hunch guesses, she's cancelled everything and is obitable

David Gulpilil - Nailed on by the looks of his popularity

Nick Hitchon - ONE OF STARS OF SEVEN UP TV SERIES - as with Dyble, just looked a decent bet and probs not too many picks

Garry Holmes - nailed on re the scoring chance but it's debateable how much q/o coverage there would be (though he's had plenty whilst alive)

Terry Jones - I'm guessing Drop 40 contender

Lee Kerslake - Longevity is already surprising - despite falling out with Ozzy he might have a lot in common

Michael McKevitt - Looked a decent bet, so very much a percentage pick and I'm guessing v. popular DDP pick

Tony Occlxxxeshaw - TERMINAL CASE WHO HAD BAGPIPER IN HIS HOSPICE ROOM A FEW DAYS BACK - bit of a risk re q/o but not the potential for one

Genesis P- Orridge - nailed on I reckon, and for q/o

Qaboos bin Said Al Said - same as P-Orridge, but a decade older

Pat Smullen - 50/50 I reckon but he's young if he scores

Leon Spinks - Regretting this already

Nobby Stiles - How did he get this far, Drop 40 I'm guessing

Andrea Swift - See Charlotte Churche's stepdad above

Peter Tobin - Percentage  pick in that he's so ill, and clearly news when he goes, but not that young

Best guess is there's 90-100 points here, a few more with luck

Bugger. I forgot to put a joker on my main team when i sent it in.

22 hours ago, Deathray said:

As the FA Cup takes place today maybe it's time to talk about the magic of the cup, the shocks, the unexpected results.

The BBC chose Liverpool v Everton which is frankly an admission on there part of being bitter they don't have PL rights and no longer invested in the magic of the cup, the fun and the frovilics the upsets, the little team goes to the multi-million pound team (Port Vale at Man City)......

Maybe the DDP could learn a few parallels from this before it loses any more of the stalwart players who've been steadily dissapearring the past few fucking years. Sack of the glorified cancer mums and get a fucking proper obit requirement in. Front Page BBC minimum. Actually a professional celebrity of category, politicians - at least a Mayor, Lord, MEP or MP... maybe MSPs  - no fucking local councillors and parish busybodies. Musicians  - at least a top 40 hit single....

Common you cunts, we can restore the magic of the DDP before it festers in it's own self-indulgence like the FA Cup now it's scrapped quarter final replays to accommodate a break for the premier league football players while the lower leagues still have to fit it round normal life. DDP obsessives get the benefit of the Drop 40 that penalises those who put more effort in looking for obscure names who might get an obit and make it more interesting in favour of lazy cunts who pick forum picks (introduced to lessen the backend workload but devalues the competition)

Proposal

• Scrap the Drop 40 bonus.
  • Increase the unique bonus.
  • Institute a genuine fame requirement
  • Ban anybody with cancer/terminal illness or other blatant health conditions that are terminal being picked....

Won't that just fill lists with the elderly or drug/other addicts.

8 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Bugger. I forgot to put a joker on my main team when i sent it in.

It will be top name on your list then.

• Like 1

And the most horrific pick processed so far isn't even on Deathray's team FFS.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, msc said:

And the most horrific pick processed so far isn't even on Deathray's team FFS.

Oh, do tell.  :P

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Toast said:

Oh, do tell.  :P

All shall be revealed...hopefully sooner than later!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't wait to see what is meant by 'horrific' pick lol.  I thought that was SirC's realm (Renee Walinga, Gabrielle D'Allonches)

I thought D'Allonches was a great sneaky pick but I got razzed by @Spade_Cooley for it.  Broke my heart :(.   I thought he would have admired it.  I don't have any great picks like her this year.  I would I had put the non-QO types (Deanne Sutherland) and hope for the best (a slow news day).  Someone has to buck the trend.  Explains why I finish 40th.  Last year's 30th overall was my best but shoulda been closer to 20th if I put Fatima Ali as Joker like a sensible person.  No one going to confuse Sir Creep and sensible though.

SC

Slightly concerned I won't have any unique picks this year.  Obscure actress Sally Sheridan is my only hope.  I thought she was a Bond girl, but actually her credit in On Her Majesty's Secret Service is just 'girl'!

16 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Slightly concerned I won't have any unique picks this year.  Obscure actress Sally Sheridan is my only hope.  I thought she was a Bond girl, but actually her credit in On Her Majesty's Secret Service is just 'girl'!

She was my 2nd sub so didn't make the main team. Good luck with the unique hunt.

She's one of the Angels of Death alongside Joanna Lumley and Angela Scoular.