msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

1 hour ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Slightly concerned I won't have any unique picks this year.  Obscure actress Sally Sheridan is my only hope.  I thought she was a Bond girl, but actually her credit in On Her Majesty's Secret Service is just 'girl'!

This is where I agree with deathray's post above.

When competitors label THEIR OWN PICKS as "obscure" maybe it it time to re-examine the criteria of a CELEBRITY.

47 minutes ago, drunkasaskunk said:

When competitors label THEIR OWN PICKS as "obscure" maybe it it time to re-examine the criteria of a CELEBRITY.

I too am interested to see how many of my picks are unique, either in terms of if unique picks from last year have stayed unique as some carried over from 2018 to 2019 did.Or if any of the new ones are unique. However I dont believe any of mine would be classed as obscure.  Last year the creator of the gaia theory James Lovelock was a surprise unique pick for me as was author of Mommie Dearest Christina Crawford. 

In terms of this year  I dont think names such as Marti Webb, Dave Gahan, Vera Miles, Edgar Pearce or Carleton Carpenter are obscure although they may well turn out to be unique. 

49 minutes ago, drunkasaskunk said:

Celebrity is defined as anyone in the world who gets a QO.  You may not like it, but that's all there is to it.  If there are other restrictions (death row) they are conspicuously delineated in the rules.
SC

6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I too am interested to see how many of my picks are unique, either in terms of if unique picks from last year have stayed unique as some carried over from 2018 to 2019 did.Or if any of the new ones are unique. However I dont believe any of mine would be classed as obscure.  Last year the creator of the gaia theory James Lovelock was a surprise unique pick for me as was author of Mommie Dearest Christina Crawford. 

In terms of this year  I dont think names such as Marti Webb, Dave Gahan, Vera Miles, Edgar Pearce or Carleton Carpenter are obscure although they may well turn out to be unique. 

One thing that sometimes surprises me about DDP is that you land a unique pick unexpectedly. I snagged and scored with Larry Wallis in 2019 - though I'd got the basic information (bedridden and in v poor health) on this site. Amazed nobody else picked him tbh - but not complaining.

• Like 1

I'm not expecting to have any this time.  Occasionally I put somebody in purely because I think nobody else will have thought of them.

Predicting uniques ahead of time is a fools game. Best to be pleasantly surprised if they arrive.

So the thing about adding in celebs now is its the folk who aren't on the system already ie have never been picked before now in the DDP. As a teaser, here are some of the names which genuinely surprised me to see were only debuting in 2020:

Eleanor Bron

Gary Player

Alexei Sayle

Stan Boardman (83 this year!!!)

Simon Groom

Peter Frampton

Bertie Auld

David Lynch

Cormac McCarthy

• Like 2

And on a less savoury note, apparently someone tried to get a 17 year old on their team. :facepalm:

If it was you and you're reading this, have a word with yourself FFS.

45 minutes ago, msc said:

Predicting uniques ahead of time is a fools game. Best to be pleasantly surprised if they arrive.

So the thing about adding in celebs now is its the folk who aren't on the system already ie have never been picked before now in the DDP. As a teaser, here are some of the names which genuinely surprised me to see were only debuting in 2020:

Eleanor Bron

Gary Player

Alexei Sayle

Simon Groom

Peter Frampton

Bertie Auld

David Lynch

Cormac McCarthy

Frampton - he's ill enough to have to stop touring and he's had a few encounters with the old marching powder in days gone by but... it'd take murder or something similarly unforeseen to cash in the unique pick bonus in 2020

41 minutes ago, msc said:

And on a less savoury note, apparently someone tried to get a 17 year old on their team. :facepalm:

If it was you and you're reading this, have a word with yourself FFS.

They did apologise for not knowing the rules and there are others just the right side of the 18 line.

Someone else picked Greta Thunberg too which felt more like fair game but I had to refuse, rules is rules. :D

• Like 1

17-year-old on your Derby Dead Pool team? Disgusting. Depraved. Consider psychiatric help you fucking freak. Absolutely no place for that kind of sick fucking shit here. 18-year-old on your Derby Dead Pool team? MAXIMUM POINTS, BABY! YEAH! WORTH FOUR SUPERCENTENARIANS! SNATCH THOSE 12 POINTS OUT OF THAT DEAD TEEN ASS! CHECK OUT THE SIZE OF THESE HOT YOUNG TUMOURS! ALL GROWN UP!

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I can tell you that Vera Miles is not unique. She's on my Hitchcock theme team.  

• Thanks 1

Just noticed I didn’t mention it in the submission email, however Banana’s B-Team Buddies is a theme team. I assume you guys probably figured that out anyway. 

4 hours ago, msc said:

So is Jerry Lawler or Prince Andrew a secret DDP Player?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 07/01/2020 at 16:25, msc said:

Eleanor Bron

Gary Player

Alexei Sayle

Simon Groom

Peter Frampton

Bertie Auld

David Lynch

Cormac McCarthy

The bolded are mine though on different teams. I  was certain Boardman had chosen before . I'm sure I remember reading a bio which trashed him as a comic but ended with ' his daughter's quite fit though' 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I  was certain Boardman had chosen before . I'm sure I remember reading a bio which trashed him as a comic but ended with ' his daughter's quite fit though' 

No sign of him on database or of any other Bio which refers to their daughter being fit. Anyway off to google Stan Boardman's daughter.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

No sign of him on database or of any other Bio which refers to their daughter being fit. Anyway off to google Stan Boardman's daughter.

Mystery solved.

It's mentioned on the first  page of this topic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Mystery solved.

It's mentioned on the first  page of this topic. 

Cormac McCarthy was the one I thought had to be wrong and went to check, only to find every Cormac reference on site was for the late cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor.

15 minutes ago, msc said:

Cormac McCarthy was the one I thought had to be wrong and went to check, only to find every Cormac reference on site was for the late cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor.

Gary Player was one I checked a few times.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

More American celebs going to get covered by the Sun then.

Did this guy just insinuate that MailOnline has a market share in the United States?  Haha... WHIT?

Here comes The Sun (U.S.) regardless.

On 07/01/2020 at 02:09, maryportfuncity said:

One thing that sometimes surprises me about DDP is that you land a unique pick unexpectedly. I snagged and scored with Larry Wallis in 2019 - though I'd got the basic information (bedridden and in v poor health) on this site. Amazed nobody else picked him tbh - but not complaining.

That was from me. I just chose not to act on it. I was given the news by Wreckless Eric.

It just didn't sit right with me to add Larry to my own list.

4 minutes ago, Phantom said:

That was from me. I just chose not to act on it. I was given the news by Wreckless Eric.

It just didn't sit right with me to add Larry to my own list.

Oh, okay

Yeah, I can think of a few people I wouldn't want to score on because I care enough

Does Wreckless Eric still do the odd pint, just askin'

49 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Oh, okay

Yeah, I can think of a few people I wouldn't want to score on because I care enough

Does Wreckless Eric still do the odd pint, just askin'

Eric's been sober for over 35 years.

Now Nick Lowe on the other hand will polish off 2 bottles of wine after each gig.

1 hour ago, Phantom said:

Eric's been sober for over 35 years.

Now Nick Lowe on the other hand will polish off 2 bottles of wine after each gig.

Oh, thanks for the heads up.

Tbh and despite the steady death toll of musicians of that era the continued healthy existence of several high profile 70-80 somethings staggers me given the tonnage of tobacco, alcohol and spliff that was part of the daily life of even the most moderate performers of that generation. Didn't know that much about Wreckless, other than the one time I encountered him he was reeling and I was given to understand from others that the man's fondness for a drink meant that was a normal state of affairs. So - technically speaking - Wreckless is a recovering alcoholic, albeit a very impressive one, right?

58 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Oh, thanks for the heads up.

Tbh and despite the steady death toll of musicians of that era the continued healthy existence of several high profile 70-80 somethings staggers me given the tonnage of tobacco, alcohol and spliff that was part of the daily life of even the most moderate performers of that generation. Didn't know that much about Wreckless, other than the one time I encountered him he was reeling and I was given to understand from others that the man's fondness for a drink meant that was a normal state of affairs. So - technically speaking - Wreckless is a recovering alcoholic, albeit a very impressive one, right?

It must have been quite a while back when you met him. He was slowly killing himself back then. Decided to sober up for the sake of his daughter.