msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

Qaboos and Scruton a quick one-two for me. Now I'm hoping Arap Moi and Tobin are next...

12 minutes ago, drunkasaskunk said:

Do we know how many hits there have been and what the score is ???

Hits so far (confirmed): David Stern, Don Larsen, Christopher Beeny, Tom Long, Elizabeth Wurtzel, Infanta Pilar, Edd Byrnes, Pete Dye, Qaboos al Said, Roger Scruton. (10)

List of the Missed (confirmed): Derek Acorah, Neil Peart, Buck Henry, Tom Alexander

List of the Lost (ie no obit so far): Samantha Last

Some others might be hiding down the back of a sofa but if so they will be found eventually.

Back of the fag pack scores while we wait for the internal calculator:

You Might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper 22

Drol/toast/Reptile/TJS/DDP Tofoa/Poochie/Still Life/Drunkasaskunk logjam on 17

House of Soon to be with the Lord 14

about 30 other teams on points between 6-12

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 14:10, Predictor said:

Tired of all the Disney remakes and reboots of the past couple of years? Well, here is a nice nostalgia trip to the classic era when Walt himself oversaw the studio's production with an ironfist.

Theme team: This Knee Ain't What It Used To Be (Disney employees of its animated features while Walt was still alive)

Actually, the list sort of wrote itself, since I literally could not come up with more than 23 names. Unless you count might be/might not be alive IMDb picks. Entries below are American, unless stated otherwise.

EDIT: How on earth did I miss that Peter Behn is still alive??

Reveal hidden contents

1. Cate Bauer (born 1922/1929): British actress who did the voice of Perdita in 101 Dalmatians (1961). Who's Perdita? Well, she's the white dog with black spots all over her. Hope that narrows it down for ya.

2. Kathryn Beaumont (born 1938): British actress who is one of the more well-known Disney veterans still among us. Voiced the title role of Alice in Alice in Wonderland (1951) & Wendy in Peter Pan (1953).

3. Don Bluth (born 1937): Yes, he does meet the criterion. Before making it big in the 1980s, he was animation assistant in Sleeping Beauty (1959) among other things.

4. Darleen Carr (born 1950): Voiced Mowgli's gal Shanti in The Jungle Book (1967).

5. Marge Champion (born 1919): While the person who voiced the most beautiful girl in the world (according to the mirror at least, cuz I really don't see it) is gone, Snow White's dance model Marge from Snow Whte and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) is still with us at the grand age of 100.

6. Paul Collins (born 1937): British actor who was John in Peter Pan (1953). Arguably the best P. Collins to have done Disney work in their career.

7. Mary Costa (born 1930): Princess Aurora in Sleeping Beauty (1959). Let's hope life doesn't imitate art by her slipping into a long coma at some point.

8. Alice Davis (born 1929): While Mary got to do all the fun in front of the mic, costume designer Alice had been busy making Princess Aurora in Sleeping Beauty (1959) look stylish.

9. Lisa Davis (born 1936): British actress who was Anita (one of the humans) in 101 Dalmatians (1961). Disney sure cast lots of Brits in their films...

10. Donnie Dunagan (born 1934): Did the voice of Bambi in Bambi (1942) when his iceskating skills were decidedly sub-par. For understandable reasons, Donnie kept quiet of his role while in the U.S. Army... JOKER

11. David Frankham (born 1926): British actor who was the heroic cat Sgt. Tibbs in 101 Dalmatians (1961).

12. Clint Howard (born 1959): The youngest on the list. Was the adorable little elephant Hathi, Jr. in The Jungle Book (1967). Also did Rooh in a Winnie the Pooh film in 1966, but it wasn't a feature-length film.

13. Margaret Kerry (born 1929): Similar to Marge Champion, Margaret was a dance model for Tinker Bell in Peter Pan (1953). She was also the voice of one of the smoking hot mermaids in the same film.

14. Leo De Lyon (born 1926): Dunno, appearantly was a monkey named Flunkey that no one in the entire world remembers in The Jungle Book (1967). Obscure role, but the actor is old enough that Flunkey will ensure that my team doesn't flunk.

15. Burny Mattison (born 1935): A behind-the-scene guy who worked on many films such as Lady and the Tramp (1955) & Sleeping Beauty (1959).

16. Floyd Norman (born 1935): A behind-the-scene guy who worked on man films such as 101 Dalmatians (1961) & The Sword and the Stone (1963). Incredibly, he still works for Disney.

17. Bruce Reitherman (born 1950): I hate using the N-word, but c'mon, the director's son getting the part of the main character? This is clearly a case of nepotism. He voiced Mowgli in The Jungle Book (1967).

18. Ethmer Roten (born 1922): Doesn't have a Wikipedia page, but there are recent Youtube clips that prove that he's likely still alive. This woodwind instrumentalist has had a productive career, spanning back to the 1940s. He did flute music for Disney's Song of the South (1946) & Fun and Fancy Free (1947), but they aren't fully animated. But that's ok, cuz he also did Alice in Wonderland (1951), Peter Pan (1953) and probably others. Uncredited for the most part, which is Roten luck.

19. Richard Sherman (born 1928): Composer with a level fame that probably makes Roten a bit jealous. Did the film scores for The Sword and the Stone (1963) & The Jungle Book (1967) respectively.

20. Ruthie Tompson (born 1910): Another behind-the-scenes person, worked on stuff like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937). Only one on the list who was deprived of Disney-related stuff in her childhood simply by being born so early.

Subs: Lord Tim Hudson (born 1940), Chad Stuart (born 1941) & Mimi Gibson (born 1948). The first two were those vulture Beatles in The Jungle Book (1967). Mimi was a dog named Lucky in 101 Dalmatians (1961).

tl:dr

1. Cate Bauer

2. Kathryn Beaumont

3. Don Bluth

4. Darleen Carr

5. Marge Champion

6. Paul Collins

7. Mary Costa

8. Alice Davis

9. Lisa Davis

10. Donnie Dunagan (Joker)

11. David Frankham

12. Clint Howard

13. Margaret Kerry

14. Leo De Lyon

15. Burny Mattison

16. Floyd Norman

17. Bruce Reitherman

18. Ethmer Rothen

19. Richard Sherman

20. Ruthie Tompson

Subs: Lord Tim Hudson, Chad Stuart & Mimi Gibson

image.gif

Shouldn't have had Lord Tim Hudson as a sub.

He's dead: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-7879563/SPORTS-AGENDA-BBC-wont-getting-rid-Mark-Pougatch.html

Probably best known as having links with the Beatles US tours, Ian Botham's ex-manager, bit of a leech really who never played a leech for Disney, but did voice characters in The Jungle Book and The Aristocats.

EDIT: Article says he died last month so probably a lucky escape not picking him.

Sam Last has a QO, which makes yesterdays logjam look mild:

You Might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper 22
Bananas Bruises/Joey Russ/Chorizo/Spade Cooley/Clorox 19
Once you go black/house of extravaganza 18
Drol/toast/Reptile/TJS/DDP Tofoa/Poochie/Still Life/Drunkasaskunk logjam on 17

Provisional update.

No reason for Scruton to have QOd whatsoever.

The mystery of why you never reach the DDP top 10 becomes less of a mystery with each passing day!

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Yeah, no reason a knighted, highly respected (to some people) philosopher and government advisor should ever receive a QO...

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

306607e83fec1d6a843a3fc97fc6533d0105c5f8

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Do you ever think?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, msc said:

Sam Last has a QO, which makes yesterdays logjam look mild:

Oops.

You forgot the link.

Mysteriously as one of the new DDP Triumvirate, I am aware of the QO. As seen elsewhere on this forum its on the Beeb.

Incidentally, we had hoped the website would be up by now, but there are a lot of bugs in the system that need squashed. Reptile spent most of today squashing a good chunk of them.

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Shouldn't have had Lord Tim Hudson as a sub.

He's dead: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-7879563/SPORTS-AGENDA-BBC-wont-getting-rid-Mark-Pougatch.html

Probably best known as having links with the Beatles US tours, Ian Botham's ex-manager, bit of a leech really who never played a leech for Disney, but did voice characters in The Jungle Book and The Aristocats.

EDIT: Article says he died last month so probably a lucky escape not picking him.

Thanks for notifying me, Willz. Ah, so I lucked out then. :D May he rest in peace.

• Like 1

Tom Belso - I'm assuming he isn't a unique pick, anyone seen a DDP q/o yet because I haven't and I'm getting a bit of deja vu from this time a year ago when one of my DDP picks spent almost the whole year on the list of the lost hereabouts

19 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Tom Belso - I'm assuming he isn't a unique pick, anyone seen a DDP q/o yet because I haven't and I'm getting a bit of deja vu from this time a year ago when one of my DDP picks spent almost the whole year on the list of the lost hereabouts

Not unique, no (Bananas's B-team Buddies had him), and currently no DDP QO although we shall keep on the hunt and there's a whole forum of helpers on the case for various deadpools.

• Like 1

Alright fellows, the first version of the 2020 site is up, scoreboard here:

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2020/scores.html

At the bottom are the links to other relevant pages. The links on the homepage still link to the 2019 standings, it will be worked on shortly.

By the way, yes, we know some birthdays are wrongly set at 1905. It's an excel/access issue... 

Also the spelling system is not streamlined.

As a new committee, we focused on getting the process done for the first time on our own as quickly as possible..... substance first, the style will come!

Expect some major improvements over the weekend, and check out your teams and the competition in the meantime!

Edit: Current hits are processed, except for Samantha Last (yes, the birthday will be changed).

Second Edit: Ah yes, the months in the "hits so far" page are in german. I think I need to get a language pack there. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Excellent job. Surprised John Lewis is drop 40, but I’m certainly not complaining about that at all. Means my lowest point names are Jana Bennett and Susan Bayh at 8 points a piece. Will that prove to be helpful for me? We’ll have to wait and see. 

In the mean time, thank you all so much for running this, and good luck to all of the competitors. :) 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Alright fellows, the first version of the 2020 site is up, scoreboard here:

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2020/scores.html

At the bottom are the links to other relevant pages. The links on the homepage still link to the 2019 standings, it will be worked on shortly.

By the way, yes, we know some birthdays are wrongly set at 1905. It's an excel/access issue... 

Also the spelling system is not streamlined.

As a new committee, we focused on getting the process done for the first time on our own as quickly as possible..... substance first, the style will come!

Expect some major changes over the weekend, and check out your teams and the competition in the meantime!

Edit: Current hits are processed, except for Samantha Last (yes, the birthday will be changed).

Thanks for all of the great work! 

• Thanks 2

Front page is up

Yep, we know about the various anomalies in the text that can be fixed in a quiet week in March. The team descriptions will be updated, the names all standardised (though those with a capital surname were last picked in 2017!),  and so on. Oh and if it says on the List of Teams your email doesn't work, ignore that...

Obviously the LOTL and LOTM pages revert to 2019 because there isn't officially any yet. (Well, there are for the Missed but let's let Reptile sleep for a bit...)

All up to date bar Samantha Last who will be in the next update.

All thats left for now is to thank Grim for all the data processing over the Christmas holidays, Spade Cooley for hanging around and Agony Uncle-ing every single issue possible, and the man Reptile who sat for 4 days and worked through every single bug and fixed them. Legends, all of them.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

Give your full applause to the three amigos who've sweat buckets over the past 21 days to deal with my terrible handover instructions and get the site into a semblance of existence.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Give your full applause to the three amigos who've sweat buckets over the past 21 days to deal with my terrible handover instructions and get the site into a semblance of existence.

Very nice job by the new triumvirate! The only disappointment for you is that Maude Apatow does not seem to have been selected this year :P

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Lol... well, we are three, you were only one! Goes to show where credit is due. 

• Like 1

:bow:

We are not worthy

Gobsmacked that Thomas Keneally is unique for my Jeopardy theme team

Fantastic work msc, Reptile, and GUN :salute:

Good work chaps (and/or chapesses). :clap:I think you should leave the German months, at least during the transition period.

• Like 1