msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

I must give a special shoutout to Dr Shipman’s Waiting Room. Their entire team has a grand total of 0 drop 40 picks and 0 uniques. An amazing feat onto itself. :clap:

• Like 1

Also Most Unique Picks 2020, who only have 15 unique picks (still only one team picking Ram John Holder though. Can we get him a DL call up if he makes it to 90?)

• Like 1

My Drop 40 picks are George Alagiah, John Andretti, Frankie Banali, Kirk Douglas, RBG, David Gulpilil, Genesis P-Orridge, Roger Scruton (dead), Tom Smith and Alex Trebek. 

18 hours ago, Banana said:

3 picks of mine that were selected twice and another 3 times. Y'all really dont wanna see me get those uniques do ya?

Pretty much right there with you, with 2 picks selected twice, 1 selected thrice and 1 selected four times. 

I'm always surprised Jean Marsh isn't a more popular pick. Of all my uniques she's the one that has surprised me most. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, msc said:

It was def. marked as the Scotland manager originally, I suspect a victim of the Mass Deletion. It shall be fixed.

Especially now he's gone and died. Sods law.

Fantastic work guys.Feel slightly honoured to be mentioned in Scrutons write up.

Just to clarify my no more expenses pick Robert Lindsay refers to the politician and not the actor which is what the link says.

Don't think I will have a great year.Surprised Spinks Smullen Vialli and Lloyd aren't on the Drop 40.Smullen I figured would be and as he's my joker that ruins my chances of getting into the top 10.

12 minutes ago, Sean said:

Fantastic work guys.Feel slightly honoured to be mentioned in Scrutons write up.

Just to clarify my no more expenses pick Robert Lindsay refers to the politician and not the actor which is what the link says.

Apologies Sean I knew there would be occasions when this happened and it is probably useful if I explain the entry of the entry process as it currently stands.

To enter the 20 celebrities all the info that comes with them needs deleted and then they are dumped into a spreadsheet - if the name matches with the celebrity database of existing celebs at that point then move on to the next team because you can’t look at 10000 celebrities details to check it is the right person with that name. If it doesn’t match an existing celeb then of course you refer back to the info provided.

Inevitably therefore there will be occasions where the wrong celeb appears in a team despite the picker doing all they could in providing the info to avoid this happening.

We are going to be reviewing the whole entry process during the next year to see if it can be streamlined but still work to do on this year’s entries and celebs yet.

Cheers, GUN

13 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I'm astounded at there being 11 unique picks in my Gooseberry Crumble team and 7 unique picks in each of my other crumbles.I was expecting it to go in the opportunity direction. That amounts to 25 unique picks out of 60 names!

Ha, beat you, I've got 37 uniques across 3 teams. Doubtless none of them will die though....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Apologies Sean I knew there would be occasions when this happened and it is probably useful if I explain the entry of the entry process as it currently stands.

To enter the 20 celebrities all the info that comes with them needs deleted and then they are dumped into a spreadsheet - if the name matches with the celebrity database of existing celebs at that point then move on to the next team because you can’t look at 10000 celebrities details to check it is the right person with that name. If it doesn’t match an existing celeb then of course you refer back to the info provided.

Inevitably therefore there will be occasions where the wrong celeb appears in a team despite the picker doing all they could in providing the info to avoid this happening.

We are going to be reviewing the whole entry process during the next year to see if it can be streamlined but still work to do on this year’s entries and celebs yet.

Cheers, GUN

No need for apologies we are all human and overseeing such a competition is a mammoth task.Just wanted to clear up any confusion before one of the Robert Lindsay's snuff it and there is an issue.

Again I take my hat off to you all and do not wish to complain in the slightest.The site is up early and functioning very well of which I am deeply grateful for.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Attempting to give more shoutouts to teams when they are doing well. As I guess people like getting mentions on the front page, based on how I liked it when Pan Breed got mentioned!

As with the Terrible Terrible Puns (ie Tom Long, Elizabeth Wurtzel) this may continue up to the point I suddenly have 30 in one week to do in April...

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Don't think I will have a great year.Surprised Spinks Smullen Vialli and Lloyd aren't on the Drop 40.Smullen I figured would be and as he's my joker that ruins my chances of getting into the top 10.

I was surprised by that one as I'd done a quick count at the weekend and had him on nearly fifty teams...

It turns out I'd absentmindedly counted the coding reference as well as his actual picks so doubled his number of teams entirely! Luckily the Drop 40 relies on more reliable calculations...

1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Ha, beat you, I've got 37 uniques across 3 teams. Doubtless none of them will die though....

Time will tell!!

@msc Just curious if any of my picks were one of noise you were saying were a bit of a nightmare as a pool runner to research ,verify etc ?I cant imagine that they were but just checking!

3 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

@msc Just curious if any of my picks were one of noise you were saying were a bit of a nightmare as a pool runner to research ,verify etc ?I cant imagine that they were but just checking!

On the contrary, a few of yours showed up to process after Deathray's team of doom so I was delighted to be looking up actual celebs again. Although the only description from a Crumble team newcomer I remember writing was for Marti Webb... In the tradition of Rude Kid and onwards, there are some right sarky pick descriptions hiding out there now.

• Thanks 1

I have got 27 uniques across two of my teams. One children's author managed to sneak by the Children',s authors theme team David McKee of Mr Benn, King Rollo & Elmer fame all the other uniques in my writers theme team do other stuff. Although Penelope Lively does both.

Hoping for a better year for Unusual Suspects 

Nice libel suit bait re Kirk Douglas description in the Drop 40 page...

Loongkoonan, the aboriginial artist who will be 110 this year, has a first name. It's Daisy.

A voice actor theme team has Ann Gillis in it. She died 2 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Predictor said:

Nice libel suit bait re Kirk Douglas description in the Drop 40 page...

Loongkoonan, the aboriginial artist who will be 110 this year, has a first name. It's Daisy.

A voice actor theme team has Ann Gillis in it. She died 2 years ago.

Loongkoonan has been in the database as that since 2015, so a bit late to change now without destroying the website.

There are a shocking amount of dead people picked each year. Usually by folk who don't bother writing down any subs! Most of them got caught pre-launch but a few here and there will still be caught.

Speaking of dead people

2 teams picked Dianne Foster(though it's likely she was assumed to be alive since entries were already open when news of her passing came out in Dec)

• Thanks 1

Great work on getting it all up and running guys. Brilliant.

So 6 non uniques/40's for my Catacomb ensemble I'm happy with. Surprised Sgt Mike Sadler remained Unique for a 2nd year. Pleased with 'Texas Dolly' Brunson being unique given age/health history/nailed on obit, and also that other petrol heads didn't take a punt on Bobby A, given heart issues combined with running an outlaws team and the strain that brings. Hope to hit a unique again to make it 7 out of 8 years In DDP I have.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, msc said:

Loongkoonan has been in the database as that since 2015, so a bit late to change now without destroying the website.

I'm willing to take that risk. :angely: