msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

1 hour ago, Predictor said:

I'm willing to take that risk. :angely:

I think Reptile's looking at it.

Right, front page up to date, with Mr. Derek Fowlds our current main story.

Yes, he has his Mr. back. You can thank Reptile for that one too.

Oh, and Yorkshire Banker has his unique hit restored, tallied up, and written. Its not like I get many chances to talk about a Scottish success in football, after all...

• Like 1

Into the 90s, Derek Fowlds got a recurring gig  as one of the leads on Heartbeat, the nostalgic cop show in which it appeared to be 1969 for 20 years. Never off the screen, Heartbeat got 14 million viewers regularly in the 1990s, and remains popular with grannies, so, that’s cool.

Today I learned not only have I had sex change but I appeared to have had a child who has also bequeathed a daughter....

• Haha 1

On 16/01/2020 at 16:58, Predictor said:

Nice libel suit bait re Kirk Douglas description in the Drop 40 page...

Loongkoonan, the aboriginial artist who will be 110 this year, has a first name. It's Daisy.

A voice actor theme team has Ann Gillis in it. She died 2 years ago.

Evidence Loongkoonan is still alive is somewhat thin and, if she is, I really doubt she is 110. But I'll go with the "dead off radar" option.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 07:53, Sir Creep said:

Ahhh, yes.  The lowest hanging fruit from the Motor City.  Also the easiest of the three of my teams to slap together.  Believe it or not, lots of tough decisions for a team likely to garnish 1 hit all year.  smh.  Why oh why do we take theme teams seriously?

2nd year in DDP (so good news is at least half of these have existing photos)

MADE IN DETROIT
10. Marty Pavelich (hockey) [JOKER]

1. Roger Corman (actor)

2. Alex Delvecchio (hockey)

3. Jimmy Devellano (hockey)

4. John Edwards (music, The Spinners)

5. Bill Freehan (baseball)

6. Benny Golson (jazz)

7. Berry Gordy (Motown)

8. James Lipton (actor)

9. Manuel 'Manny' Maroun (businessman)

----

11. Roger Penske (auto racing)

12. Joyce Randolph (Honeymooners)

13. Sixto Rodriguez (music)

14. Laurence Rosenthal (composer)

15. Joe Schmidt (American football)

16. Ruth Adler Schnee (textiles)

17. Paul 'The Butcher' Vachon (wrestling)

18. Jack Van Impe (televangelist)

19. Robert Wagner (actor/murderer)

20. H. M. Wynant (actor)

Sub: Piper Laurie (actress)

Jack Van Impe welcomed into Heaven according to his website: https://www.jvim.com/well-done-good-and-faithful-servant/

Good luck with that QO.

I’m currently in a very grotty pub. My DDP joker is also here - looks fine, but he does race motorcycles on public roads. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Jack Van Impe welcomed into Heaven according to his website: https://www.jvim.com/well-done-good-and-faithful-servant/

Good luck with that QO.

:rolleyes:  It's a theme team, boo.  For fun.  I happy getting a hit or two.  But the only people guaranteed not to QO are the living.  So at present Van Impe has exclusivity in his ability to QO vs rest of team.  Better than Prince Philip and QE2!  Can't be argued.

In any case I'm happy to have gotten a 'hit' and to advance the # of hits for DDP history.  Or add to the Lost totals. 

FTR, YoungWillz, he was an absolute fixture on Detroit (and across the entire U.S.) TV for decades.  Pervasive/Ubiquitous.  Sir Creep once did a topo survey for Van Impe's studio parking lot :)  He was famous for knowing every verse in the Bible basically.  He could say something and relate it to Scripture and then spout off 4 or 5 places in the Bible it was said.  For fun,  I checked his work once, and he was balls on.  One may think it was teleprompted but it wasn't, that was just his thaaang made him infamous.  There'll be no more like him.  Probably for the better.  His wife Roxella (there's a name) was his wacky sidekick and was a bit odd.   Surely you can Youtube the hell outta his show.

Let's put it this way, if Van Impe doesn't QO.... neither will Ernest Angley (or any of that ilk, like Creflo Dollar etc) so anyone playing that angle should be watching closely.  Didn't some preacher from Atlanta with a mega church get a QO a couple years ago?  Van Impe a shoe-in if I haven't misremembered.  But that may have been a Cup entrant. 

His QO is damn near worthy of a 5-lb coffee guarantee.  I'm highly considering it.  [WATCH THIS SPACE for updates].

SC

I see that Conway Berners-Lee was picked as a Joker in a Theme Team. If he  dies for a second time, will that fact alone  guarantee him a QO this time around?

• Haha 1

Thanks people for checking the database on your part, by the way. I updated here and there.... for example, Gustav Gerneth was picked four times. As his death went without great notice (well, none at all outside of Germany), he is sub-able. Only one out of those 4 people did provide subs though.... Conway Berners-Lee seems similar. A google search now doesn't immediately show his death, so I subbed him as well, new joker is the 2nd picked person on that team (Murray Walker). Kenneth Alwyn moves in at nr. 20.

LotL and LotM are next. Theme team league....not immediately, probably next weekend.

Edit: Now that we know how this all works, the process should be better and faster next year. The master datalists need updating.  It will happen in the course of the year.

4 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

I see that Conway Berners-Lee was picked as a Joker in a Theme Team. If he  dies for a second time, will that fact alone  guarantee him a QO this time around?

Lots of dead people get picked every year. Sometimes its folk like Conway here, who frankly didn't get anywhere near the coverage his notability deserved. (As in none whatsoever). So you can see why they fall through the gap.

Few years ago someone picked Jimmy Stewart, the actor. As in A list beloved Hollywood Star dead since 1997. I know, I was in denial too, but well publicised! One of our regulars recently picked Ayn Rand, who has been dead since before I was even born. Another picked someone so obscure they later turned out to be dead in 1948.

But the prize still appears to be the pick who died in 1878, which is before the records are kept on site. I wanted it to be Victor Emmanuel II or something obvious ridiculous, but a few years back Handrejka suggested it was probably the confusion of then living historian Asa Briggs with long dead US politico Asa Biggs.

Anyhow, since TMIB and Spade got rid of the missing persons loophole, no one has gotten points for someone who died in a previous year!

David Graham, the former Irish Cricketer, is listed on three teams, including the theme teams #1 Hits and I Hear Voices. Two different David Grahams (and given that the third team Worm Fodder are all household names, I suspect they meant a different David Graham as well.)

Incidentally , if it is considered bad form to point out errors, please say stop before I piss people off.

• Like 1

@An Fear Beag no worries, feel free, with 11000 names on the list some will unavoidably sneak through until others point them out.

Anyhow, NEW LEADER OF THE DDP ALERT!!!!!

With 2 uniques and the Scruton pick, @YorkshireBanker leads the DDP as it stands. I think for the first time ever?

• Like 1

Noticed that the wooden spoon for 2019, YOUREOUT, were the first people to lead the DDP in 2020.

Done some tinkering, we now have a Theme Team League for 2020, a List of the Lost and a List of the Missed.

Not only that, but you click on the Last Year link, you'll see a variation on the old school "Year Archive Pages" OoO and TMIB used to do, which has all the archive pages for 2019 in case people were missing them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Now I've worked out that, I can fix the archive links as much as possible, but again, that'll wait for another day.

Just needed sayin:
Damn you @Predictor how did you find Jeffrey Foskett?  And/or why didn't everyone?   Almost a solo for me (You can say the same I reckon lol)
And who is "Once You Go Black' ... stole my unique joker again.  
Lastly, how did I get Ken Wilkinson as a unique?  Irish, politician, given 9 months or so to live, posted on DL, easy to locate.  I'll take it!

Sadly, it appears the ARCHIVES are unlinked presently....I was going to see how many 'hits' I've had so far, can't be many.
SC

17 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Just needed sayin:
Damn you @Predictor how did you find Jeffrey Foskett?  And/or why didn't everyone?   Almost a solo for me (You can say the same I reckon lol)
And who is "Once You Go Black' ... stole my unique joker again.  
Lastly, how did I get Ken Wilkinson as a unique?  Irish, politician, given 9 months or so to live, posted on DL, easy to locate.  I'll take it!

Sadly, it appears the ARCHIVES are unlinked presently....I was going to see how many 'hits' I've had so far, can't be many.
SC

32 with Sam Last.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Just needed sayin:
. . . .  how did I get Ken Wilkinson as a unique?  Irish, politician, given 9 months or so to live, posted on DL, easy to locate.  I'll take it!

Do you reckon Ken Wilkinson will get a QO??

6 hours ago, drunkasaskunk said:

Do you reckon Ken Wilkinson will get a QO??

He's from your bloody UK, not some dumb Yank over here no UK press will have heard of.  I'd say he has a level chance.  That's good enough for me if trying to win this thing.  I wouldn't use him if he was a 20% chance unless that person defo dead and under 40.  Even then.   
If you think he has a 20% chance I will certainly bow to your knowledge of the UK media (I have none, no more than y'all do of ours no matter what Spade thinks 'Google' does to even that out) and just hope for the best. 
But short answer, in the words of the late great Hilda Hanson: "If he got a mention in the BBC, Guardian, DM, and Telegraph, and Mirror...........HE'S A LOCK!"

SC
"The only people guaranteed not to get a QO are the living" - SirC

I think DDP pick Nicholas Amer died in November

Pretty much off radar

Wikipedia quotes an obituary in The Stage 28th November

My theme teams are usually no-hopers, but this time it gets a boost as Terry Jones is the joker. 

Alzheimer’s is so tricky.  I have TJones nowhere, I didn’t see him dying at all until next year.  Instead he drops inside of about 18 months of deteriorating, while the likes of Jeanne Little drools on herself for 4 years now and no end in sight, and though he won’t QO, Bill Freehan was supposed to be dead a year ago as stated by his wife.  Yet he breathes.  Oh and Nobby Stiles, anyone (be sumptin if he’s next)

So for those who were Jones truthers, well done.  But it’s still a needle in haystack choosing Alzheimer’s patients.

SC

28 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Alzheimer’s is so tricky.  I have TJones nowhere, I didn’t see him dying at all until next year.  Instead he drops inside of about 18 months of deteriorating, while the likes of Jeanne Little drools on herself for 4 years now and no end in sight, and though he won’t QO, Bill Freehan was supposed to be dead a year ago as stated by his wife.  Yet he breathes.  Oh and Nobby Stiles, anyone (be sumptin if he’s next)

So for those who were Jones truthers, well done.  But it’s still a needle in haystack choosing Alzheimer’s patients.

SC

Frontotemperal dementias have considerably shorter prognosis than normal dementia though. (Wiki says 2-20 years but who you gonna trust, Wikipedia or a man with a DDP shortlist, I ask?) Most folk with it seem to last 4-5 years and Terry is right in that ball park now...sadly. It's similar to the one Sarstedt had (PPA) and I missed out on him after pinpointing his likely time of death on this forum!

A considerable outlier is my B-team pick Rob Rensenbrink (Dutch World Cup final player) who was diagnosed in 2012 but still lives.