msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

30 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

XFactor has them and one other which escapes my recollection.

My X Factor team having 20 uniques was a surprise – it isn't the obscurest idea for a theme, and half of them must have been picked at some point before. They've accumulated a range of strokes, cancers, drug addictions, and sex crimes between them.

Granted, the team exists not because I thought X Factor contestants seemed particularly vulnerable, but mainly because I thought "The X_X Factor" would be a funny team name.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, machotrouts said:

mainly because I thought "The X_X Factor" would be a funny team name.

That's why I did "Long Shot Kick De Bucket" one year.  :D

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Love the description for my TOTP theme team!

I think 12 Lords/8Ladies is the only non-theme team to have 20 uniques, ha! XFactor has them and one other which escapes my recollection.

Hah, my wee gag. Although once you start getting to years I *remember*...

And the 20 uniques is quite impressive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

All (?) theme teams now have (THEME) at the beginning of their name. Is this a good step? It changes the alphabetic order in the list of teams.

Also, I am completing the list of celebrity infos right now. Any requests for changes of the old ones? You know, stuff like, Donald Trump is now president and so on....

Joan Jara, who's on my main team should have a year of birth of 1927, not 1957.

Sir Creep

I noticed when I was entering teams that Joey has Sylvain Sylvain on his main team.

It's probably against Committee rules to recommend picks but must be a chance of a slot on Gris Gris for him if he makes it to 2021?

Although if he's on Joey's main team then he probably won't...…………..

Cheers, GUN 

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Also, for Lindsey Graham’s bio can you please add the line “Now he is Donald Trump’s bitch.” Thanks...

That line works for the entire GOP.

On 22/01/2020 at 15:33, msc said:

A considerable outlier is my B-team pick Rob Rensenbrink (Dutch World Cup final player) who was diagnosed in 2012 but still lives.

Well, he did on Wednesday.

These sort of jinxes never work for Peter fucking Tobin...

• Haha 1

All men -- you let that qualify as a rubbish THEME?  
You can't be fucking serious.  

I don't know what's weaker, that entry, or the Admin's constitution.  What fucking stupidity. 

I honestly can't believe you allowed that.  What utter shite.  Fuck, it's probably yours.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I don't know what's weaker, that entry, or the Admin's constitution.  What fucking stupidity. 

I honestly can't believe you allowed that.  What utter shite.  Fuck, it's probably yours.

Tbh the theme team league has been abused for years by complete wankers who put any old team in and let it get the theme team nod. Like that cunt who ran a "These guys wont get a DDP QO" team which nearly won last year...

I am open to adding theme team definitions to the big DDP Cmme rule discussion this summer, but nobody's really brought it up before - that I've noticed.

In short, yes its rubbish, but the theme team league is a bit rubbish as it stands tbh...

[Tells you how often I look at the DDP site, but...]  So I goes and looks in on the Theme Team standings......
How the hell is a team of all women a THEME team?  All men a THEME team then?  'Swingin' Dickx' 1st year in DDP that'll be my regular team, just drop the 2 or 3 women off of it.  Seriously, you can NOT deny my all male theme team, precedent is established.  @Spade_Cooley LOOK a theme of gender.

SC

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently the powers that be can't (read: won't) read COMMON SENSE like this ^^^^ I posted it, IGNORED.  Oh, did you know facetious is one of only two words with all 5 vowels in order?  FACETIOUS.  
At least the coward who turned in this cuntish team could have had the decency to steal the quality name I offered.

Truly fucking incompetence to allow that theme team.  DEAD ON ARRIVAL it should have been.  Blaming @Spade_Cooley for being the initial stupid ass necessitating my December post.
SirCreep

30 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

[Tells you how often I look at the DDP site, but...]  So I goes and looks in on the Theme Team standings......
How the hell is a team of all women a THEME team?  All men a THEME team then?  'Swingin' Dickx' 1st year in DDP that'll be my regular team, just drop the 2 or 3 women off of it.  Seriously, you can NOT deny my all male theme team, precedent is established.  @Spade_Cooley LOOK a theme of gender.

SC

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently the powers that be can't (read: won't) read COMMON SENSE like this ^^^^ I posted it, IGNORED.  Oh, did you know facetious is one of only two words with all 5 vowels in order?  FACETIOUS.  
 At least the coward who turned in this cuntish team could have had the decency to steal the quality name I offered.

Truly fucking incompetence to allow that theme team.  DEAD ON ARRIVAL it should have been.  Blaming @Spade_Cooley for being the initial stupid ass necessitating my December post.
 SirCreep

What are you struggling with?

Someone enters a team, it's accepted? All male or all female is still a theme???

Also GUN was the one doing the team checks this year and he's done nothing wrong. Have you had a bad day in the oil rigs or something?

Or just been drinking the stock?

You don't have exclusive rights to something cos you posted the idea you dumb fuck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Tbh the theme team league has been abused for years by complete wankers who put any old team in and let it get the theme team nod. Like that cunt who ran a "These guys wont get a DDP QO" team which nearly won last year...

I am open to adding theme team definitions to the big DDP Cmme rule discussion this summer, but nobody's really brought it up before - that I've noticed.

In short, yes its rubbish, but the theme team league is a bit rubbish as it stands tbh...

I don't think crappy "themes" matter much, but I do think competitors should be allowed one theme team only.

1 hour ago, msc said:

I had the decency not to submit 'the first 20 people I could think of as a theme for Shot in the Dark'.... seems like a mistake now.....

At the end of the day; all men and all women are theme teams.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

1 hour ago, msc said:

44 minutes ago, Deathray said:

What are you struggling with?

Someone enters a team, it's accepted? All male or all female is still a theme???

Also GUN was the one doing the team checks this year and he's done nothing wrong. Have you had a bad day in the oil rigs or something?

Or just been drinking the stock?

You don't have exclusive rights to something cos you posted the idea you dumb fuck!

Normally I would spare Sir Creep a :D and a Like of his post because that seems to keep him happy but basically ignore whatever crap he is spouting (I've therefore given his post a like to calm him down :D)

But just to support msc post as a Committee we pretty much decided we needed to get through the first year process without changing anything and the precedent had already been set for an All Male Theme being acceptable and hence All Female too.

What is acceptable as a Theme team does need discussed if we decide that there is someone out there that really cares or whether most people just enter theme teams for the fun of it and couldn't give a tuppenny toss who wins the theme team league - I guess you have only suddenly taken a competitive interest because the joker of your Detroit team got a QO which you weren't actually expecting because when you entered your theme team it was just for fun and not for the purpose of serious competition.

Love you Sir Creep :wub::wub:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I guess you have only suddenly taken a competitive interest because the joker of your Detroit team got a QO which you weren't actually expecting because when you entered your theme team it was just for fun and not for the purpose of serious competition.

Likewise my theme team joker has died, but frankly I shall be surprised if any of the rest of the team do. :D

17 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Normally I would spare Sir Creep a :D and a Like of his post because that seems to keep him happy but basically ignore whatever crap he is spouting (I've therefore given his post a like to calm him down :D)

But just to support msc post as a Committee we pretty much decided we needed to get through the first year process without changing anything and the precedent had already been set for an All Male Theme being acceptable and hence All Female too.

What is acceptable as a Theme team does need discussed if we decide that there is someone out there that really cares or whether most people just enter theme teams for the fun of it and couldn't give a tuppenny toss who wins the theme team league - I guess you have only suddenly taken a competitive interest because the joker of your Detroit team got a QO which you weren't actually expecting because when you entered your theme team it was just for fun and not for the purpose of serious competition.

Love you Sir Creep :wub::wub:

Just to be a facetious cunt, where's the precedent for the first 20 people I thought of not being acceptable as a theme team?'

Just now, Deathray said:

Just to be a facetious cunt, where's the precedent for the first 20 people I thought of not being acceptable as a theme team?'

Firstly facetious is my favourite word in the English language - I just love that a,e,i,o,u sequence.

Secondly I do not have a clue what you are talking about - I didn't reject any teams as a theme. If msc has done this without my knowledge at some point in the process then all hail msc because let's face it as a theme it's complete bollocks. Is it any more or less bollocks than an All Male or All Female team? Well it's a close run thing but I will try and summarise in the short table below.

Theme

Verdict

First Twenty People I Thought Of

Complete Bollocks

All Male Team

Complete Bollocks

All Female Team

Completely No Bollocks

I personally think the “nabbed from top teams” theme teams is garbage too, but that’s just me. 

23 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Firstly facetious is my favourite word in the English language - I just love that a,e,i,o,u sequence.

Secondly I do not have a clue what you are talking about - I didn't reject any teams as a theme. If msc has done this without my knowledge at some point in the process then all hail msc because let's face it as a theme it's complete bollocks. Is it any more or less bollocks than an All Male or All Female team? Well it's a close run thing but I will try and summarise in the short table below.

Theme

Verdict

First Twenty People I Thought Of

Complete Bollocks

All Male Team

Complete Bollocks

All Female Team

Completely Bollocks

Fixed....

23 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

To be fair I didn't strictly enter it as a theme team, but if your accepting all male and all female I think this is equally valid a theme team.....

all male and all female are almost as broad a category....

Shot in the Dark.
(sort of not really a theme team - the first 25 names I thought of, no filtering whatsoever (except for removing the dead) )

I had nowt to do with Shot in the Dark's theme team status for the record.

But you know, given Reptile had to fix a coding error in the site that'd been around for a decade or so, that was buggering up the website loading,  from scratch, I think the priorities were right for 2020 to just get it done.

• Haha 1

Well... maybe the new naming system has somewhat sensitivised people to the issue...?

I would agree, that an all male/female theme team sounds "off". I mean, it sort of looks like abusing the system to become 1st in at least something...

But I do wonder how to avoid this. I think the strongest argument is that abusing the theme team league in such a way makes it meaningless, and so, winning it just as well.

31 minutes ago, msc said:

I had nowt to do with Shot in the Dark's theme team status for the record.

But you know, given Reptile had to fix a coding error in the site that'd been around for a decade or so, that was buggering up the website loading,  from scratch, I think the priorities were right for 2020 to just get it done.

To be fair it hadn't historically hadn't been categorised as one....

I'm just being salty in that if all male and all female count 'the first 20 names I could think of' is equally valid....

I'd think that a theme team has to reasonably be some kind of small minority to be picking from. Allowing a team that can be picked from ~50% of the world's population doesn't seem particularly on.

But, it depends whether the theme team league is a "fun" thing or a competitive thing.

Let's get statistical and weight teams based on the percentage of the overall population that their team consists of. Therefore, a hit in the "all male" or "all woman" team might be weighted at 0.5 based on women/men being approx. 50% of the population. Then, on the other hand, selecting a team from the cast and crew of the 70s film for masochistic children, Watership Down (like my better half did a couple of years back) would afford each hit a weighting of ~100/7.5bn. So, if Ray Merrin had received a QO, then he'd have been worth the standard number of points divided by (100/7.5x10^9) which would have meant Merrin would have scored ~3*10^8 points for her (300,000,000) compared to only 8 points for the hypothetical person selecting Merrin for their all male theme team. 

I think we can all agree that the simplicity and satisfaction in appropriately awarding niche teams would go a long way towards making the Theme Team League a more highly respected competition.

• Haha 3

On 25/01/2020 at 10:07, Grim Up North said:

Sir Creep

I noticed when I was entering teams that Joey has Sylvain Sylvain on his main team.

It's probably against Committee rules to recommend picks but must be a chance of a slot on Gris Gris for him if he makes it to 2021?

Although if he's on Joey's main team then he probably won't...…………..

Cheers, GUN 

As you can see, sideways lol, Sylvain x2 name was one under careful consideration given recent health issues.  I appreciate team Gris Gris being in your thoughts..

4E7335AB-E9F3-4C5D-89AF-F17E85C6F5BE.jpeg

• Like 1

On 24/01/2020 at 15:35, YoungWillz said:

Again, thanks!

It would never have occurred to me to check for Louis Nirenberg, for example.

Maybe we can still hit that 1-hit-per-day quota in January.

• Like 1