msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

Liz Clarke-Saul dead

As reported helpfully by YW in the Hares my pick (unique in DDP) has died.

I've got 3 DDP QO chances by my reckoning

1) BBC cycling pages (unfortunate that Le Tour starts tomorrow so they're not short of news to report)

2) BBC Disability sports pages

3) The SPOTY roundup of deaths on BBC website

We'll see.

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Does this count as a QO for Richard K Guy? A quiz question to which he is the answer to that specifically mentions his year of death.

Spade I can't see as behind paywall but have offered my view to my colleagues on Committee and I'm sure they will respond once we have a majority verdict. Cheers, GUN

Unanimous verdict says "why not, it's better than the Andrew Millwall QO from precedent and is a death mention in a qualifying obit"...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

Am I right in thinking Elliot Dallen would no longer be permitted?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/07/terminal-cancer-live-cancer-life-death

Hmm, he does seem to be on the other side of the line, yes. Writing 2 articles when terminal and having nowt other fame doesn't really cut it even if Ed Miliband tweets it...

• Like 1

If he runs a couple of marathons between now and Christmas before expiring in January, could he get in on the Tomlinson rule? What if he does something notable like volunteer for a Coronavirus live trial?

Jane Tomlinson had years of that, I'm not sure this chap will manage that in a covid environment in 3 months.

39 minutes ago, msc said:

Jane Tomlinson had years of that, I'm not sure this chap will manage that in a covid environment in 3 months.

Jane Tomlinson is a prime example of why dead pooling is so gloriously difficult.

In 2000 (so 20 years of treatment improvements ago) she had breast cancer that had spread to her lungs and bones and given 12 months to live - she died in September 2007 a wonderful 7 years later and her charity has now raised over £10 million. Very special lady and I'm absolutely sure that 'a couple of marathons' does not do her justice.

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Jane Tomlinson is a prime example of why dead pooling is so gloriously difficult.

In 2000 (so 20 years of treatment improvements ago) she had breast cancer that had spread to her lungs and bones and given 12 months to live - she died in September 2007 a wonderful 7 years later and her charity has now raised over £10 million. Very special lady and I'm absolutely sure that 'a couple of marathons' does not do her justice.

That's one way of looking at it

Another way is that many people are not so lucky and are far too ill to do much at all, let alone run marathons.

19 minutes ago, Toast said:

That's one way of looking at it

Another way is that many people are not so lucky and are far too ill to do much at all, let alone run marathons.

Of course and I understand. I would think we all know family and friends who have died relatively quickly from diagnosis and had a miserable time in the intervening period too.

I don't think the fact that she was lucky that she was able should diminish her achievements though.

If I ever get terminal cancer I can guarantee you that instead of running marathons and raising money for charity I'll spend my final months low-effort posting to this forum, playing Football Manager as semi-pro Israeli teams and watching Victorious repeats on Nickelodeon with IMDB permanently open to check how old each actress was during filming.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

If I ever get terminal cancer I can guarantee you that instead of running marathons and raising money for charity I'll spend my final months low-effort posting to this forum, playing Football Manager as semi-pro Israeli teams and watching Victorious repeats on Nickelodeon with IMDB permanently open to check how old each actress was during filming.

Am I right in recalling that Spade Cooley the First (i.e. the western swing legend) spent his final day leaving prison on a day pass to play a benefit show and then pegging out backstage with a heart attack before the second set?

With the talk of Cindy/Cidny Bullens, I am thinking my main team perhaps needs a bit more thought.

Based on a 60/40 split between men and women, perhaps I'm not taking account of gender issues associated. Anyway, it's not a theme team so no problems there, can I rely on birth gender or do I open up to current gender and have my choice?

:sherlock:

16 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

With the talk of Cindy/Cidny Bullens, I am thinking my main team perhaps needs a bit more thought.

Based on a 60/40 split between men and women, perhaps I'm not taking account of gender issues associated. Anyway, it's not a theme team so no problems there, can I rely on birth gender or do I open up to current gender and have my choice?

:sherlock:

tbh I don't care, as long as there's 20 of them and they're alive!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

tbh I don't care, as long as there's 20 of them and they're alive!

Ha! Just pondering aloud.....;)

It would annoy me if some pick suddenly decided in August to change gender and then died in November, thus buggering up my lords and ladies split! :lol:

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Ha! Just pondering aloud.....;)

It would annoy me if some pick suddenly decided in August to change gender and then died in November, thus buggering up my lords and ladies split! :lol:

Ha. Writing hopefully entertaining and witty obits for them when they die I can help you with. (Well, for the next 15 months!)

Them buggering up any OCD lists (hi!) by changing gender is beyond my ability to fix as DDP co-host.

:D

• Haha 1

On 08/09/2020 at 19:27, gcreptile said:

Elliot Dallen inspires a multitude of people:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/08/elliot-dallen-readers-terminal-cancer-responses

Well, there's a good chance the question will not matter anyway.

Aaand dead:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/sep/09/elliot-dallen-family-thank-readers-for-huge-response-to-his-articles

Just now, Spade_Cooley said:

And Day In The Death go top....

Nah, The Love Boat had him as well