msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

40 minutes ago, Toast said:

Has there been any DDP pick so far not to have had a QO,  but featured on 'Last Word'?

Not sure - unlikely but more likely in December if someone is covered who might have not get the Times or Telegraph till January.

8 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

If The Scottish Sun is allowed, is The Irish Sun also? I'd lean on it shouldn't be, but your call...

The Irish Sun is based out of Dublin, so not a UK source. (I know it has a Belfast office but its a non-UK source.)

Others brought up but not supported as a QO include The Stage (non dated obits), New York Times (seriously!), AP (American), Huff Post/Buzzfeed (bit too rubbish), Evening Standard (opened up too much of a precedent for other regionals, and there's 1000s of them, as amused as I was at the concept of The Argus and Evening Times becoming QOs...), Spectator/New Statesman/Private Eye (too much down the magazine as opposed to news source route), MSN/Scotsman (merely duplicate other sources), The National (LOL), and The People ("widely read but superfluous" was my view).

3 hours ago, msc said:

The Irish Sun is based out of Dublin, so not a UK source. (I know it has a Belfast office but its a non-UK source.)

Others brought up but not supported as a QO include The Stage (non dated obits), New York Times (seriously!), AP (American), Huff Post/Buzzfeed (bit too rubbish), Evening Standard (opened up too much of a precedent for other regionals, and there's 1000s of them, as amused as I was at the concept of The Argus and Evening Times becoming QOs...), Spectator/New Statesman/Private Eye (too much down the magazine as opposed to news source route), MSN/Scotsman (merely duplicate other sources), The National (LOL), and The People ("widely read but superfluous" was my view).

If you're going to disqualify Huff Post/Buzzfeed for being a "bit too rubbish" surely that also disqualifies half the others? Thinking Daily Mail, Star, Sun, Express & their ilk. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, msc said:

So are BBC Music pages allowed then? :D 

28 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

So are BBC Music pages allowed then? :D 

Deducts ten points from Joey :P

Liking the 2021 changes,and especially like the additional point for a unique because it encourages more risk taking with your picks.

• Like 1

221 DDP hits in 2020 now.

On 24/09/2020 at 09:01, msc said:

> 2020 - 221
> 2019 - 253
> 2018 - 247
> 2017 - 254
> 2016 - 275
> 2015 - 239
> 2014 - 247

Overtaken 2013's total.  2020's pace is currently 9 days ahead of 2016's so again keeping an eye on this one.

• Like 2

On 01/01/2020 at 00:57, Toast said:

Main team

I'm Sorry For Your Trouble

George Alagiah

Frankie Banali

Peter Bonetti

Phil Collins

Robbie Coltrane

Jimmy Greaves

David Gulpilil

Terry Jones (Python)

Olivia Newton-John

Yoko Ono

Genesis P-Orridge

Qaboos bin Said al Said

Roger Scruton

Tom Smith (rugby player)

Pat Smullen

Leon Spinks

Nobby Stiles

Peter Tobin (joker)

Alex Trebek

Gianluca Vialli

Theme team (children's authors)

And They All Died Happily Ever After

Jean Adamson

Allan Ahlberg

Lynne Reid Banks

Raymond Briggs

Eric Carle

Beverly Cleary

Susan Cooper

Gillian Cross

Anne Fine

Jane Gardam

Alan Garner

Shirley Hughes

Terry Jones (joker)

Norton Juster

Lois Lowry

Michael Morpurgo

Katherine Paterson

Jill Paton Walsh

Kathleen (KM) Peyton

Philip Pullman

Dead

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Viola Smith is hit nr. 226 - so we are 50 hits away from surpassing the record.

We still have about 68/69 days left of the year (maybe 70-72 for delayed obits).

So we kind of need about 50/70 obits per day for the rest of the year, i.e. 0.71 hits per day.

So far in Octobre, we've had 15 hits in 25 days, i.e. 0.6 hits per day. And we've had 20 hits in September, i.e. 0.66666 hits per day.

Now how many year-end obits, how many backlog obits can we still expect? What about.... I don't know... five?

That would mean, we'd need about 45 more obits in the next 70 days, i.e. 0.64 hits per day.

So... it's going to be very, very close.

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Viola Davis is hit nr. 226 - so we are 50 hits away from surpassing the record.

A-hem...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, drol said:

A-hem...

not the first time this happened to me in the past 3 days

Should also be noted that in December 2016 it was a big month both in quality and quantity (over 30 deaths iirc), so if this December is similar to 4 years ago...

Looks like Once You Go Black is now in 2nd place and 10 points behind Reptile...

Those will be two long months for me. As long as Susan Bayh is alive (or doesn't obit), I should remain the favourite. But if not, there are too many possibilities and still too much time to beat me.

On the other hand, Ady Barkan looks very, very bad in today's Rolling Stone interview. He's been declining a lot in the past month or two. I hope he can at least see a Biden win, but he hasn't got much time left. But might slip into 2021 yet!

Stiles will breath a little life into a middling campaign for me, blighted by the misguided (albeit with many others for company) selection of Tom Smith as  joker - he'll have the last laugh on us, right?

I knew I'd picked him for some pool or other, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only was it the DDP, but as joker as well.

• Like 1

If anyone has a place of death, let me know. Would be a shame to update Nobby without it.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

If anyone has a place of death, let me know. Would be a shame to update Nobby without it.

Bed

• Haha 2

On 21/09/2020 at 12:41, Eesti said:

Currently on 16th position, but gaps are small. 

Here are my survivors:

Tom Smith (Joker) - If this man doesn't go down. I don't have any chance at all. 
George Alagiah - Back on TV? F*ck.
Noel Conway - Slowly dying, maybe too slowly...
David Gulpilil - Why isn't this guy dead already?
Yoo Sang-Chul - Clearly has to go at some point, but maybe not this year.
Leon Spinks - I'd say it is very unlikely for him to survive this year. 90% chance that he dies before 2021.
Nobby Stiles - Haven't seen any news about him. Could go this year, could go later. DEAD 30/10/2020
Alex Trebek - 50/50 chances.
Jean-Louis Trintignant - According to sources should be dead already. What is going on?
Bill Turnbull - Seems like not going this year...
Eddie Van Halen - Nobody really knows when...  DEAD 06/10/2020

So... if I get Smith, Gulpilil, Spinks and maybe 1-2 extras from the list, do I have any chance to win? I doubt it... so better luck next year!

Things are getting better for me.

• Like 1

Whenever I've told my friends about this website, they say it's weird and all this. I still feel a little reticient but I might do this for the first time this year! Why not I suppose?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Whenever I've told my friends about this website, they say it's weird and all this. I still feel a little reticient but I might do this for the first time this year! Why not I suppose?

As the DDP motto goes or used to go "Death happens.Why not make it interesting?".I see it as a game of probability.Same as when at a family funeral everyone comments after or under their breath who they think will be next.People also often say how long they think people will have "Well this Birthday will be their last" , "I doubt they will make it to Christmas" etc.We are as a society very funny about death.Asked my Nan`s Doctors and Nurses when she was on her deathbed how long they thought she had to live.All of them looked embarassed and said "Oh we really can`t say" and I said well I would guess she had a few days at most.Do you think I am in the right ballpark and none gave me an answer.She died 3 days later.