msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

Just now, gcreptile said:

I'm celebrating with Weissbier and Marianne Rosenberg.

Best choice, best combination! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay my DDP 2021 Team is now with YoungWillz - hopefully the emails will go out some time today. Here we go again...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Gawd, it's all terribly exciting.

And this time next year, it'll be "it's all terrible, why'd I pick them"?

Ok, apologies, gremlins in system and some folk got non-BCC emails. Mostly folk with A and B starting emails before Grim twigged and fixed the error.

This is quite regular with circular emails in general business, I find, but if this happened to your email and you are fucked off - as with the last time this happened in the DDP - I can only offer a thousand apologies.

Is Sir Tom famous for being ill?

I just ask because extreme old age is fairly terminal...

same question for people who are the oldest people in the world etc who would have had no fame were it not for their terminal illness of extreme old age...

10 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Is Sir Tom famous for being ill?

I just ask because extreme old age is fairly terminal...

same question for people who are the oldest people in the world etc who would have had no fame were it not for their terminal illness of extreme old age...

A knighthood = OK.

The rule is designed to axe all of those "last Christmas single mum with deadly cancer" type picks which are completely odious. Obscure but vaguely notable names, and all those oldest people in the world (who are their own penalty, being worth so few points) remain OK to pick.

Finally DDP banned people "famous" for being ill.

Next year should be a better competition.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, msc said:

A knighthood = OK.

The rule is designed to axe all of those "last Christmas single mum with deadly cancer" type picks which are completely odious. Obscure but vaguely notable names, and all those oldest people in the world (who are their own penalty, being worth so few points) remain OK to pick.

But he only got that because of his age? :D

3 minutes ago, WEP said:

Jazz saxophonist Bill Graham seems to be dead for a looooong time.

According to wikipedia, he died back on December 29th, 1975!

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2020/celebs_G.html#grahaw

That beats last years attempt to enter Ayn Rand into the competition.

One of Sir Creep's "Ivan" theme team was a Soviet diplomat who actually died in 1948 ie before Stalin.

But the record is the pick in 1999, whose name is lost now, disallowed because they died in 1878! Sympathetic thinkers think it was Anna Sewell, Handrejka made a good argument for it being Asa Biggs (19th century politician and typo of then living historian Asa Briggs) - unsympathetic co-hosts want it to be someone like Pope Pius IX!

• Like 1

Ha, I've been going through the DDP celebrity base recently, and I thought that Bill Graham was meant to be preacher Billy Graham... well, dead in both cases.

Does FFBI include mental illnesses as well or is it just cancer mum types? 

3 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Does FFBI include mental illnesses as well or is it just cancer mum types? 

Who is famous solely for being mentally ill?

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Who is famous solely for being mentally ill?

I can't think of anyone currently but there must some Michaela and Samantha Kendall types out there. 

16 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I can't think of anyone currently but there must some Michaela and Samantha Kendall types out there. 

What a hideously tragic story. But no, they wouldn't count as they seemed to be known only for being ill.

• Thanks 1

What about people who are only famous for being "ill" in a late 80s hip-hop sense?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Windsor said:

But he only got that because of his age? :D

And his fundraising and media appearances.Being old doesn`t mean you are terminal just means you are near expiring.Not the same thing.He could last 15 years for all we know.Then again so could someone with stage 4 cancer.Kimberley Eccles is for example now ineligible as is in the news based on her illness and the circumstances.Sir Tom got a Knighthood raised millions of pounds and was the talk of the whole country at one point now his a Wikipedia released his autobiography for weeks.You could argue that if he was a conscientious objector in the war and did not serve the media wouldn`t have run with the story making him a household name in Britain.So is he famous for his war history the fact he was a captain the fact he walked around his garden to raise money?I would say all 3.Just goes to show if we put this guys name forward last year everyone would have said yes he is eligible but will never get a QO. Now I wouldn`t rule out a televised or military funeral.The Government would grant him a state funeral to detract from their woeful handling of the whole crisis so will do it to diert attention and make a false equation to WW2 to make it seem like Tom was one of the soldiers in the Great Battle of Covid or summat.

The lady you mention is a 20 something care worker and so not a DDP pick, just unfortunate.

Captain Sir Tom wouldn't surprise me if he made the Drop 40 tbh. The cut off was 32 teams this year.

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

And his fundraising and media appearances.Being old doesn`t mean you are terminal just means you are near expiring.Not the same thing.He could last 15 years for all we know.Then again so could someone with stage 4 cancer.Kimberley Eccles is for example now ineligible as is in the news based on her illness and the circumstances.Sir Tom got a Knighthood raised millions of pounds and was the talk of the whole country at one point now his a Wikipedia released his autobiography for weeks.You could argue that if he was a conscientious objector in the war and did not serve the media wouldn`t have run with the story making him a household name in Britain.So is he famous for his war history the fact he was a captain the fact he walked around his garden to raise money?I would say all 3.Just goes to show if we put this guys name forward last year everyone would have said yes he is eligible but will never get a QO. Now I wouldn`t rule out a televised or military funeral.The Government would grant him a state funeral to detract from their woeful handling of the whole crisis so will do it to diert attention and make a false equation to WW2 to make it seem like Tom was one of the soldiers in the Great Battle of Covid or summat.

Not good value though, is he?  Pointswise.

14 minutes ago, msc said:

The lady you mention is a 20 something care worker and so not a DDP pick, just unfortunate.

Captain Sir Tom wouldn't surprise me if he made the Drop 40 tbh. The cut off was 32 teams this year.

That is what I am saying.Both unknowns as of this time last year.Your average person in the street wouldn`t recognise her at all today still.I bet if went up to 10 random people in the street tomorrow they would know who Captain Tom is and wouldn`t have a scoobey who Kimberley Eccles is.

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

Not good value though, is he?  Pointswise.

Nope only the probable Drop 40 bonus which as a centenarian is worthless near enough in my view.

I think 2020 was the first year I didn't have someone die on me (since the first year I entered) between submission and start (early submitter).

Had it happened again, I would have had more hits on my main team than I do now.

Swings, roundabouts, all part of the playground of the DDP.

I have now checked every celebrity in our DDP database if they are still alive or not. As you can see on the previous page, I am left with the impression that almost every remotely notable person that died in 2020, has been picked by us before in some year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sean said:

He's only famous for his war records because the other thousands who served and came back have died of old age. So he has only really become known as a veteran because of extreme old age...which is a terminal illness. 

His fundraising would have woefully failed were it not for his extreme old age too. Without the fact he was 99, it was only some geezer taking a stroll around the garden. If he had raised the £30m or whatever as a fundraiser with terminal cancer, would they be eligible under the new rules.

I broadly agree with the new rule but it will need stress testing as many of the folk who I think should be ineligible  will be seen as fair game for others. I think Sir Tom is fair game because he is a publicity whore, but I think that my argument stands that he is only famous because hes an old duffer...like the worlds oldest people. I also maintain that fame due to extreme old age alone is the same as famous for being ill/having a terminal condition...