Book

The DL Prediction Game 2020

Well, I bet everyone had Kirk Douglas. Of course. Obviously.

YW - 3; DL - 3

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, I bet everyone had Kirk Douglas. Of course. Obviously.

YW - 3; DL - 3

You're absolutely right. Kirk for everyone, even for the Committee :lol:

So no changes.

• Like 3

Oh dear, I missed Christopher Tolkien for Deathray! Sorry!

That means 5 hits for each by now: Deathray, The Mad Hatter and Vaagheid. DL still 3 hits.

Please tell me if I missed a hit. Thanks!

Henry Gray for theoldlady btw :party:

• Like 1

Dropped Mubarak, so Committee bounces all over my hopes and dreams again:

YW - 3, DL - 4.

:facepalm:

• Sad 1

Hosni Mubarak is a hit for the DL and also for Book, BuffaloPhil, CaptainChorizo, Etushispushingupdaisies, Great Uncle Bulgaria, msc, RadGuy, The Mad Hatter, TomTomTelekom and Vaagheid.

The Mad Hatter and Vaagheid in the lead, six hits each.

Still on the coat tails...

YW - 4; DL - 5.

Nothing really happens... everyone had Javier Perez de Cuellar, except of Deathray and Old Crem.

• Like 2

Max von Sydow = BuffaloPhil, Clorox Bleachman & Deathray

Damn, I mentioned him in the Possibilities for 2020-thread, but I didn't take him myself in any deadpool. So I can't blame the Committee for anything :D

But he would have been a great A-list-hit!

• Like 2

Let me crystal clear.

I grew up during the Throbbing Gristle/Psychic TV era, and they were nothing but part of a very niche art concept, arguably Gary Numan and Art of Noise did that sort of stuff so much more successfully. Literally subsumed by punk and new wave, they were nobodies except with the in crowd and those Indie kids who drank in wine bars and said "Oh, yeah, I hate all that pop stuff, I'm into Throbbing Gristle. Oh, you've never heard of them?" Quizzical look followed by my hasty departure from those wankers/five knuckle shufflers.

So it pains me to say:

YW - 4; DL - 6

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Let me crystal clear.

I grew up during the Throbbing Gristle/Psychic TV era, and they were nothing but part of a very niche art concept, arguably Gary Numan and Art of Noise did that sort of stuff so much more successfully. Literally subsumed by punk and new wave, they were nobodies except with the in crowd and those Indie kids who drank in wine bars and said "Oh, yeah, I hate all that pop stuff, I'm into Throbbing Gristle. Oh, you've never heard of them?" Quizzical look followed by my hasty departure from those wankers/five knuckle shufflers.

So it pains me to say:

YW - 4; DL - 6

I mean, it depends on person to person on how impactful someone actually is, but generally if someone got a BBC obit like Genesis did, that showed that they were pretty influential in their world. I mean, Throbbing Gristle basically started industrial music, which was a defining genre in the 1990s with bands like Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails having an impact. I bet very few folk listened to Captain Beefheart and the Velvet Underground back when they were originally released, and yet now they are both highly regarded today. So just because something wasn’t popular then doesn’t mean it wasn’t influential. 

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I mean, it depends on person to person on how impactful someone actually is, but generally if someone got a BBC obit like Genesis did, that showed that they were pretty influential in their world. I mean, Throbbing Gristle basically started industrial music, which was a defining genre in the 1990s with bands like Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails having an impact. I bet very few folk listened to Captain Beefheart and the Velvet Underground back when they were originally released, and yet now they are both highly regarded today. So just because something wasn’t popular then doesn’t mean it wasn’t influential. 

Hmm, I take your point, but let's face it there are plenty of influential folk who never get massive obits for anything.

For example, the huge mural on the wall of the former Apple boutique designer Simon Posthuma got no fucking mention anywhere in the UK press as far as I can see. He designed the precursor to the Sergeant Pepper album for Gawd's sake! A psych pioneer in the world of design.

If we are all being honest about it, P-Orridge is only getting coverage for freakishness and oddity, wrapped up with a delightful bow of hindsight. "Oh look how wonderful what he was actually doing back in the day!" cries the art world. Actually they are saying, look at the guy who got tits. Minority within a minority within a minority and I'll bet this is the first time 90 per cent of the UK population have realised s/he existed.

Maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate though.....:evil2:

I'll add this (because I'm on a roll!). I'll eat every single one of my words if every member of Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV get a full BBC obit.

They won't. You know they won't. Ask yourself why.

Right, let's look at the Hares entries! :lol:

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'll add this (because I'm on a roll!). I'll eat every single one of my words if every member of Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV get a full BBC obit.

They won't. You know they won't. Ask yourself why.

Right, let's look at the Hares entries! :lol:

Well, the one member that died so far besides P-Orridge did get an obit from the BBC

• Like 1

Imo Genesis P-Orridge was deathlisty enough (compared to others in 2020...), 11 others players had the same thoughts, even the Committee.

So points for Book, CaptainChorizo, Clorox Bleachman, gcreptile, Joey Russ, nantonian2013, Prophet, RadGuy, Sean, The Mad Hatter, theoldlady and TomTomTelekom,

with The Mad Hatter taking the lead with 8 hits in total! :party:

Kenny Rogers is a hit for @YoungWillz

Sad, but well predicted! ;)

• Like 4

Woah, catches on to those coat tails of the Committee again:

YW - 5, DL - 6

• Like 2

Honor Blackman is a hit for the Committee as well as for Book, BuffaloPhil, CaptainChorizo, Clorox Bleachman,, msc, Etushispushingupdaisies, Deathray, gcreptile, Great Uncle Bulgaria, nantonian2013, Prophet, RadGuy, The Old Crem, ThereWillBeDeaths7, TomTomTelekom and Vaagheid.

If I'm right, it will be tight at the top... 8 hits for The Mad Hatter, TomTomTelekom, Vaagheid and myself.

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 13:37, YoungWillz said:

Woah, catches on to those coat tails of the Committee again:

YW - 5, DL - 6

Losing ground again.

YW - 5; DL -7

Happy Stirling Moss-Easter-points for the Committee as well as for Bibliogryphon, Book, Cant Wait, CaptainChorizo, Clorox Bleachman, Etushispushingupdaisies, gcreptile, Great Uncle Bulgaria, Joey Russ, msc, nantonian2013, Prophet, RadGuy, Sean, The Mad Hatter, theoldlady, ThereWillBeDeaths7, TomTomTelekom and YoungWillz!

German double peak for TomTomTelekom and me, haha!!

• Like 2

Yep, it's still close.

YW - 6; DL- 8

Might as well be a chasm.

Sorry, a missed hit for the DL but a hit for Book, Cant Wait, Clorox Bleachman, gcreptile, Joey Russ, msc, Prophet, RadGuy, The Old Crem, ThereWillBeDeaths7 and Vaagheid.

So, the new leader has 10 hits now (DL = 8) and it's... me :party:

• Like 2

Hits so far

01. Qaboos bin Said al Said (10.01.2020): nantonian2013, Vaagheid

02. Samantha Last (10.01.2020): theoldlady

03. Roger Scruton (12.01.2020): Book, Cant Wait, CaptainChorizo, Deathray, nantonian2013, Prophet, RadGuy, Sean, The Old Crem, ThereWillBeDeaths7, Vaagheid

04. Christopher Tolkien (16.01.2020): Deathray

05. Terry Jones (21.01.2020): Book, CaptainChorizo, Etushispushingupdaisies, Deathray, gcreptile, Great Uncle Bulgaria, Joey Russ, msc, Prophet, RadGuy, The Mad Hatter, The Old Crem, theoldlady, ThereWillBeDeaths7, TomTomTelekom, Vaagheid, YoungWillz

06. Nicholas Parsons (28.01.2020): Book, BuffaloPhil, Clorox Bleachman, Joey Russ, msc, Sean, The Old Crem, TomTomTelekom, Vaagheid, YoungWillz

07. Chris Doleman (28.01.2020): The Mad Hatter

08. John Andretti (30.01.2020): Prophet, The Mad Hatter

09. Daniel arap Moi (04.02.2020): Deathray, Great Uncle Bulgaria, Joey Russ, nantonian2013, The Mad Hatter, theoldlady, ThereWillBeDeaths7, TomTomTelekom

10. Kirk Douglas (05.02.2020): Bibliogryphon, Book, BuffaloPhil, Cant Wait, CaptainChorizo, Clorox Bleachman, Etushispushingupdaisies, Deathray, gcreptile, Great Uncle Bulgaria, Joey Russ, msc, nantonian2013, Prophet, RadGuy, Sean, The Mad Hatter, The Old Crem, theoldlady, ThereWillBeDeaths7, TomTomTelekom, Vaagheid, YoungWillz

11. Pearl Carr (16.02.2020): Bibliogryphon

12. Henry Gray (17.02.2020): theoldlady

13. Hosni Mubarak (25.02.2020): Book, BuffaloPhil, CaptainChorizo, Etushispushingupdaisies, Great Uncle Bulgaria, msc, RadGuy, The Mad Hatter, TomTomTelekom, Vaagheid

14. Javier Perez de Cuellar (04.03.2020): Bibliogryphon, Book, BuffaloPhil, Cant Wait, CaptainChorizo, Clorox Bleachman, Etushispushingupdaisies, gcreptile, Great Uncle Bulgaria, Joey Russ, msc, nantonian2013, Prophet, RadGuy, Sean, The Mad Hatter, theoldlady, ThereWillBeDeaths7, TomTomTelekom, Vaagheid, YoungWillz

15. Max von Sydow (08.03.2020): BuffaloPhil, Clorox Bleachman, Deathray

16. Genesis P-Orridge (14.03.2020): Book, CaptainChorizo, Clorox Bleachman, gcreptile, Joey Russ, nantonian2013, Prophet, RadGuy, Sean, The Mad Hatter, theoldlady, TomTomTelekom

17. Kenny Rogers (20.03.2020): Young Willz

18. Honor Blackman (05.04.2020): Book, BuffaloPhil, CaptainChorizo, Clorox Bleachman,, msc, Etushispushingupdaisies, Deathray, gcreptile, Great Uncle Bulgaria, nantonian2013, Prophet, RadGuy, The Old Crem, ThereWillBeDeaths7, TomTomTelekom, Vaagheid

19. Stirling Moss (12.04.2020): Bibliogryphon, Book, Cant Wait, CaptainChorizo, Clorox Bleachman, Etushispushingupdaisies, gcreptile, Great Uncle Bulgaria, Joey Russ, msc, nantonian2013, Prophet, RadGuy, Sean, The Mad Hatter, theoldlady, ThereWillBeDeaths7, TomTomTelekom, YoungWillz

20. Jill Gascoine (28.04.2020): Book, Cant Wait, Clorox Bleachman, gcreptile, Joey Russ, msc, Prophet, RadGuy, The Old Crem, ThereWillBeDeaths7, Vaagheid

Bibliogryphon ||||

Book ||||| |||||

BuffaloPhil ||||| |

Cant Wait |||||

CaptainChorizo ||||| |||

Clorox Bleachman ||||| |||

Etushispushingupdaisies ||||| |

gcreptile ||||| ||

Great Uncle Bulgaria ||||| ||

Joey Russ ||||| |||

Kinnock (Deathray) ||||| ||

msc ||||| |||

nanatonian2013 ||||| |||

Prophet ||||| ||||

RadGuy ||||| ||||

Sean ||||| |

The Mad Hatter ||||| ||||

The Old Crem ||||| |

Theoldlady ||||| ||

ThereWillBeDeaths7 ||||| |||

TomTomTelekom ||||| ||||

Vaagheid ||||| ||||

YoungWillz ||||| |

Please tell me if I missed something...

• Like 2

Sam Lloyd is a solo hit for @The Mad Hatter

So it's a tie between him and me with 10 hits each.

• Like 1

The following people predicted Little Richard to be included on the Death List: Book, Cant Wait, CaptainChorizo, Clorox Bleachman, msc, Etushispushingupdaisies, gcreptile, Great Uncle Bulgaria, Joey Russ, nantonian2013, Sean, The Old Crem, theoldlady and ThereWillBeDeaths7, but not the Committee.

• Like 2