Sean

By -Election Bingo 2019-2024

Tory MP and former minister in his 50s arrested for rape.Any guesses?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sean said:

Not the greatest political expert here but...if you're Leader of the House of Commons, are you also a minister? If not, he's in the running and he's sitting on a majority of 80 - that'd liven the news up a little

41 minutes ago, Sean said:

The possibilities: Liam Fox, Chris Grayling, Jeremy Hunt, Sajid Javid, Mark Francois, Greg Hands, Tim Loughton, Andrew Selous, Jonathan Djanogly, Andrew Murrison, Alun Cairns, Tobias Ellwood, Mark Harper, John Penrose, Shailesh Vara, Stephen Hammond, Greg Clark, Damian Hinds, Robert Halfon, Mark Garnier, George Freeman, Andrew Jones

My guess (without naming, for legal reasons) is Piggy from the ERG.

8 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

The possibilities: Liam Fox, Chris Grayling, Jeremy Hunt, Sajid Javid, Mark Francois, Greg Hands, Tim Loughton, Andrew Selous, Jonathan Djanogly, Andrew Murrison, Alun Cairns, Tobias Ellwood, Mark Harper, John Penrose, Shailesh Vara, Stephen Hammond, Greg Clark, Damian Hinds, Robert Halfon, Mark Garnier, George Freeman, Andrew Jones

The possibilities for puns are endless!

Anyhow, all are capable of crimes against humanity - apart from Jezza Hunt (who isn't capable of anything) and Tobias Ellwood (who actually seems a thoroughly decent chap - watch that come back to bite me!).

@harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy TQR has done so above. Rumours abound around a certain fan of the TA...

On 02/08/2020 at 13:35, The Quim Reaper said:

So, Fox has been dogged by rumours about his sexuality for years, though is married - not him IMHO

Re fandom for the TA - they had one particular follower who kept mentioning his former membership of the fighting force so much the TA wished he'd shut the fuck up about it, right?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, Fox has been dogged by rumours about his sexuality for years, though is married - not him IMHO

Re fandom for the TA - they had one particular follower who kept mentioning his former membership of the fighting force so much the TA wished he'd shut the fuck up about it, right?

Oh. Is that how the twitterati think it is. Going to be a more than a bit embarrassing for gov, although at least he was a minister under a different prime minister! He hardly came across as a nice guy tbf. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Oh. Is that how the twitterati think it is. Going to be a more than a bit embarrassing for gov, although at least he was a minister under a different prime minister! He hardly came across as a nice guy tbf. 

My guess is if it was not him it would be reported that MP's are angry to be linked to the speculation - as it i only him getting speculated.

The arrested MP still has the party whip but is not returning to Commons in September - it won’t be until his bail date in November at the earliest.

In unrelated (of course) news, this man‘s social media accounts no longer exist.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

The arrested MP still has the party whip but is not returning to Commons in September - it won’t be until his bail date in November at the earliest.

In unrelated (of course) news, this man‘s social media accounts no longer exist.

This is where the patience required for this game comes in. There are a number of points where there may be a scoring opportunity

1. If they guy is charged he may resign to clear his name (coda for we don't want to say he is guilty but Want him out of Parliament asap.

2. If he is tried, found guilty and sentenced to more than a year in jail he would automatically be excluded from parliament

3. Tried found guilty but short sentence (unlikely) forced to resign either by party or recall petition

• Like 1

Anyone think Margaret Ferrier will resign?Surely her position is untenable.

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

Anyone think Margaret Ferrier will resign?Surely her position is untenable.

Previous ones didn't, but she has her own MP colleagues telling her to step down, SNP grassroots telling her to go, and her own party leader tearing into her stupidity, so it's possible imo.

FTR: She got covid, then traveled from Glasgow to Westminster instead of quarantining because "she felt better" a few days later.

My MP. Just re-elected after a couple of years when Labour got in briefly.

Very helpful in responding to some questions on OldWillz estate and the impact of the COVID.

And yet, she must go. Complete disregard for the rules designed to protect her and others from the spread of the virus. Maggie Maggie Maggie, out! out! OUT!

Contrast between this and Dominic Cummings could not be more stark. Blibberwimble and Cummings got each other's backs, no problem, what's the fuss? Whereas Sturgeon's been quick to see the sacrifice of Ferrier in a swing seat. Once again, leadership will out.

• Like 1

Her boss speaks:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, msc said:

Her boss speaks:

Hmm

So, do we open a sweepstake on when she goes and whether a certain Tory with no longer active social media accounts beats her to it. 

I say she'll have announced her resignation by close of play Monday - and he'll try and hang on past Christmas as an MP but he will go to trial and might well do an Elphicke sometime next Spring

27 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm

So, do we open a sweepstake on when she goes and whether a certain Tory with no longer active social media accounts beats her to it. 

I say she'll have announced her resignation by close of play Monday - and he'll try and hang on past Christmas as an MP but he will go to trial and might well do an Elphicke sometime next Spring

She's subject to a fine. I think it's £10,000? If she refuses to pay it, then she may go to trial also. I doubt she'd be that foolish, but then again look at the former MP for Peterborough!

If she tries to hang on I imagine there will be a recall petition, which will get the minimum signatures required, then the House of Commons can remove her and call a by-election.

You'd have thought she would just go though. Then again, Mark McDonald MSP still clings on, even though the Nats threw him out 2 years ago now.

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

She's subject to a fine. I think it's £10,000? If she refuses to pay it, then she may go to trial also. I doubt she'd be that foolish, but then again look at the former MP for Peterborough!

If she tries to hang on I imagine there will be a recall petition, which will get the minimum signatures required, then the House of Commons can remove her and call a by-election.

You'd have thought she would just go though. Then again, Mark McDonald MSP still clings on, even though the Nats threw him out 2 years ago now.

Recall will take months - she would need to be formally suspended by the commons and that is a lengthy process.

8 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Recall will take months - she would need to be formally suspended by the commons and that is a lengthy process.

Well "only" took 43 days to get rid of Fiona Onasanya between the date of it being called and the date of it receiving the minimum threshold for signatures. 

If you were a local resident and you had been following all the measures and your MP goes and breaks them in the worst way possible, you'd be pretty pissed off I imagine. 

If she tries to cling on as an Independent, she'll be forced out.

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Well "only" took 43 days to get rid of Fiona Onasanya between the date of it being called and the date of it receiving the minimum threshold for signatures. 

If you were a local resident and you had been following all the measures and your MP goes and breaks them in the worst way possible, you'd be pretty pissed off I imagine. 

Well, look at Willz as one of her constituents - he's a pretty big Nat and liked Ferrier and he's openly said she should go. If a recall petition happens I think she'd lose it by a large margin.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Well, look at Willz as one of her constituents - he's a pretty big Nat and liked Ferrier and he's openly said she should go. If a recall petition happens I think she'd lose it by a large margin.

Precisely, because politically it wouldn’t matter at all.

The SNP will definitely hold it given their current polling figures.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

It takes months to be called for a non criminal offense route .

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

It takes months to be called for a non criminal offense route .

It's a new procedure, only introduced with an act of Parliament a few years ago. I remember it well as I was working in Parliament at the time. 

It has only been used three times to date. Firstly with Paisley Jr. (which failed), then Onasanya (succeeded), and lastly Chris Davies (also successful).

Of those three, only Paisley's was a non-criminal matter. Between the announcement of his recall petition and the date of it being shelved after not receiving a sufficient amount of signatures, it was a period of just 6 weeks (check it yourself), and we have no other examples to date.

12 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

It's a new procedure, only introduced with an act of Parliament a few years ago. I remember it well as I was working in Parliament at the time. 

It has only been used three times to date. Firstly with Paisley Jr. (which failed), then Onasanya (succeeded), and lastly Chris Davies (also successful).

Of those three, only Paisley's was a non-criminal matter. Between the announcement of his recall petition and the date of it being shelved after not receiving a sufficient amount of signatures, it was a period of just 6 weeks (check it yourself), and we have no other examples to date.

It's the process before the calling of one that is lengthy through. Investigations don't move quickly in Politics.

• Like 1