Sean

By -Election Bingo 2019-2024

Leicester East is Keith Vaz's old constituency and where my sister-in-law lives

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Leicester East is Keith Vaz's old constituency and where my sister-in-law lives

Aye, so they'll spring Rose West to fight it for Labour then, what could possibly go wrong from there?

I will hopefully update this soon.Have had a really horrible long lasting virus ( not covid) and am still very weak nearly 3 weeks in.Apologies.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sean said:

I will hopefully update this soon.Have had a really horrible long lasting virus ( not covid) and am still very weak nearly 3 weeks in.Apologies.

Take care. I had norovirus just before covid hit the UK (timing, eh?) and it took me a good month or so to even begin to recover. 

3 hours ago, Sean said:

Have had a really horrible long lasting virus ( not covid) and am still very weak nearly 3 weeks in.Apologies.

This is really good stuff, at least it's pulled me back together after a debilitating virus.

I always struggle to remember what it's called, and not say methadone.

61gY6wQ4YCL._AC_SX679_-600x753.jpg

• Like 1

Amess a hit for Sean, msc, The Old Crem and Grave Danger.

Brokenshire and Amess within a week or so.

37 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Amess a hit for Sean, msc, The Old Crem and Grave Danger.

Brokenshire and Amess within a week or so.

Feel guilty about getting points after this. I imagine I only put them for age reasons. 

I imagine the by- election will be like Jo Cox’s with none of the major parties standing - likely at least one minor party or independent will stand so it won’t be uncontested 

5 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Feel guilty about getting points after this. I imagine I only put them for age reasons. 

I imagine the by- election will be like Jo Cox’s with none of the major parties standing - likely at least one minor party or independent will stand so it won’t be uncontested 

True. All the filth (the BNP, National Front, English Democrats et al.) ran in the by-election following the death of Jo Cox in 2016.

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

True. All the filth (the BNP, National Front, English Democrats et al.) ran in the by-election following the death of Jo Cox in 2016.

And I feel like this time with a Tory Mp being the victim at least one of the fringe far left parties will stand. Depending on the motive of the killing will influence if some of the far right I suspect.

I am feeling better now slowly but will wait a few days to update the points out of respect for Sir David Amess.A ghastly horrible day for British politics and the country as a whole.Feel incredibly sad this has happened again after Jo Cox.My thoughts are with all his family and friends.Always came across on TV as a a gentlemanly and courteous man who was opinionated but never unpleasant aggressive or rude .I think the heartfelt tributes from across the political divide give you a measure of the man.

R.I.P Sir David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Sean said:

I am feeling better now slowly but will wait a few days to update the points out of respect for Sir David Amess.A ghastly horrible day for British politics and the country as a whole.Feel incredibly sad this has happened again after Jo Cox.My thoughts are with all his family and friends.Alaways came across on TV as a a gentlemanly and courteous man who was opinionated but never unpleasant aggressive or rude .I think the heartfelt tributes from across the political divide give you a measure of the man.

R.I.P Sir David

A wonderful  sensitive post.

Hope your back to full strength and health  soon.

My best to you.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Sean said:

I am feeling better now slowly but will wait a few days to update the points out of respect for Sir David Amess.A ghastly horrible day for British politics and the country as a whole.Feel incredibly sad this has happened again after Jo Cox.My thoughts are with all his family and friends.Always came across on TV as a a gentlemanly and courteous man who was opinionated but never unpleasant aggressive or rude .I think the heartfelt tributes from across the political divide give you a measure of the man.

R.I.P Sir David

Even though you can count the number of Tories she likes on one hand, and their politics were polar opposites, my mum's even expressed her sadness at Amess's death - and not just because of the senseless nature of his death. 

Others she admires who are still alive btw - Michael Forsyth, Michael Portillo, Norman Fowler. But I'm afraid not your cuddly Uncle Norman! (My attempt to raise a smile on a horrible day for UK politics, old chap!)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, msc said:

Even though you can count the number of Tories she likes on one hand, and their politics were polar opposites, my mum's even expressed her sadness at Amess's death - and not just because of the senseless nature of his death. 

Others she admires who are still alive btw - Michael Forsyth, Michael Portillo, Norman Fowler. But I'm afraid not your cuddly Uncle Norman! (My attempt to raise a smile on a horrible day for UK politics, old chap!)

Humour at the darkest of times is always needed from experience.

I swear some newbies on this site think Norman is my inappropriate uncle based on the nickname he has acquired.

I think on days like this it puts politics in perspective.After Jo Cox was murdered I hoped there would be a toning down of the rhetoric and a return to what Tony Benn referred to about politics being about policy not personality.There was a truce then the ugliness of the Brexit debate engulfed the United Kingdom.I doubt that made a difference though as MPs will and have always been targets.

Maybe this death has hit me personally as I used to  work in mental health and had people charge at me with knives with a couple of very close calls.It is the most terrifying thing I have experienced.I was lucky but could very easily have been stabbed several times so can only imagine the terror Sir David  felt at the end.No matter how tough you are when someone charges at you with a knife it is terrifying.I left that job as several stabbing attempts being bitten scratched spat at kicked with football boots and punched in the nose so hard it nearly broke made me think one of these days my luck will run out. Just hope he didn't suffer too much but heard he was gasping for breath after the attack which makes me think he  probably did suffer .Knew it was bad when he didn't get taken to hospital via air ambulance.Never a good sign.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

Humour at the darkest of times is always needed from experience.

I swear some newbies on this site think Norman is my inappropriate uncle based on the nickname he has acquired.

I think on days like this it puts politics in perspective.After Jo Cox was murdered I hoped there would be a toning down of the rhetoric and a return to what Tony Benn referred to about politics being about policy not personality.There was a truce then the ugliness of the Brexit debate engulfed the United Kingdom.I doubt that made a difference though as MPs will and have always been targets.

Maybe this death has hit me personally as I used to  work in mental health and had people charge at me with knives with a couple of very close calls.It is the most terrifying thing I have experienced.I was lucky but could very easily have been stabbed several times so can only imagine the terror Sir David  felt at the end.No matter how tough you are when someone charges at you with a knife it is terrifying.I left that job as several stabbing attempts being bitten scratched spat at kicked with football boots and punched in the nose so hard it nearly broke made me think one of these days my luck will run out. Just hope he didn't suffer too much but heard he was gasping for breath after the attack which makes me think he  probably did suffer .Knew it was bad when he didn't get taken to hospital via air ambulance.Never a good sign.

Black humour runs in the family. As my gran (still living) once put it - if you can't have fun at a funeral, when can you?

Hey, it's better to remember Tebbit as your uncle than for some of his career! :D

There is a distinct toxic nature to world politics at the moment which makes one despair. I'm not sure how it can be fixed at this point.

When my Dad worked in A&E there was big posters up about what to do if one of the staff was stabbed on duty. Drunks with knifes were a regular threat to nurses and doctors trying to save peoples lives. Dad was never stabbed thankfully but did have to disarm folk on more than one occasion. Someone once pulled a knife on me in a crowded pub. They were drunk and dropped it. I'm 6 foot 2, used to play rugby, could dissuade fights from happening with a look, but on that instance the only option was to fucking leg it out of there ASAP. So I understand how you feel. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, msc said:

Black humour runs in the family. As my gran (still living) once put it - if you can't have fun at a funeral, when can you?

Hey, it's better to remember Tebbit as your uncle than for some of his career! :D

There is a distinct toxic nature to world politics at the moment which makes one despair. I'm not sure how it can be fixed at this point.

When my Dad worked in A&E there was big posters up about what to do if one of the staff was stabbed on duty. Drunks with knifes were a regular threat to nurses and doctors trying to save peoples lives. Dad was never stabbed thankfully but did have to disarm folk on more than one occasion. Someone once pulled a knife on me in a crowded pub. They were drunk and dropped it. I'm 6 foot 2, used to play rugby, could dissuade fights from happening with a look, but on that instance the only option was to fucking leg it out of there ASAP. So I understand how you feel. 

Luckily in my case  I had either extra staff on scene to disarm or made use of the lockable security doors of which we all had a key.Had to have several strong people to hold the door shit whilst it was locked.Git told by a manager to go in a locked room with a man with a knife who had smashed the dining room up and had also broke and sharpened chair legs as extra weapons.Didnt tell her to fuck herself but made that point diplomatically but forcefully retorting " if  you think it is safe you go in first."

I wouldn’t say I admired him. Being an LGBT+ he certainly wouldn’t have cared much for me, as his aversion to them having equal rights would suggest. So there’s that, he was anti-abortion at all costs, Pro-Brexit at all costs, the list goes on. I’m sure I’d gladly have called him all the undesirables under the sun. I’m sure I did at some point.

But none of that comes into the equation. He was brutally, senselessly murdered by a coward who sought to damage democracy. When a tragedy like this happens, it should never be politicised. It’s a desperately tragic incident, very much reminiscent of Jo Cox which happened just 5 years ago. It shouldn’t happen to anyone. Their families shouldn’t have to go through that. Other MPs shouldn’t have to live in fear of being filleted by a stranger for simply doing their job. It’s a very dark day for this country.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TQR said:

I wouldn’t say I admired him. Being an LGBT+ he certainly wouldn’t have cared much for me, as his aversion to them having equal rights would suggest. So there’s that, he was anti-abortion at all costs, Pro-Brexit at all costs, the list goes on. I’m sure I’d gladly have called him all the undesirables under the sun. I’m sure I did at some point.

But none of that comes into the equation. He was brutally, senselessly murdered by a coward who sought to damage democracy. When a tragedy like this happens, it should never be politicised. It’s a desperately tragic incident, very much reminiscent of Jo Cox which happened just 5 years ago. It shouldn’t happen to anyone. Their families shouldn’t have to go through that. Other MPs shouldn’t have to live in fear of being filleted by a stranger for simply doing their job. It’s a very dark day for this country.

Assassinations are above any partisan politics as you rightly point out.I agreed far more with David than Jo Cox but am equally sickened by both murders.I agree wholeheartedly with your comments .It is a bleak bleak day for everyone who believes in democracy or basic decency.

• Like 1

Update for the death of Dame Cheryl Gillan:

GraveDanger:90

Sean:60

msc 50

The Old Crem:40

nantonion2013:40

Bibliogryphon:30

Gooseberry Crumble:30

Great Uncle Bulgaria;30

TQR 30

Updated for Brokenshire Amess and Brabin

• Thanks 2

Kevin Maguire from the Daily Mirror has suggested that Owen Patterson is a risk of a recall ballot after being suspended for 30 days for breaking lobbying rules

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Kevin Maguire from the Daily Mirror has suggested that Owen Patterson is a risk of a recall ballot after being suspended for 30 days for breaking lobbying rules

Don't worry, he didn't actually break the lobbying rules, it's just that the goalposts were moved, by the badgers.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

His response is very robust. Can’t see him falling foul to a recall petition.

Don't recall him bringing up this process as a contributory factor to his wife's suicide until now.

Looked a bit smirky on Politics Live. As members of his own party voted for the Report's conclusions, it may be damning. Unlikely his constituents will go for recall, no matter what this guy did.

On 26/10/2021 at 12:47, YoungWillz said:

Don't recall him bringing up this process as a contributory factor to his wife's suicide until now.

Looked a bit smirky on Politics Live. As members of his own party voted for the Report's conclusions, it may be damning. Unlikely his constituents will go for recall, no matter what this guy did.

They only need 10% of the electorate to sign it to trigger one. Not massively likely they could get that (Ian Paisley survived as they couldn’t reach that) but it is possible. 

• Like 1

On 26/10/2021 at 09:34, Bibliogryphon said:

Sounds like it won't even get to the electorate. Looks like the vote in Parliament will not adhere to the recommendation.

On 26/10/2021 at 12:47, YoungWillz said:

Looked a bit smirky on Politics Live. 

Now we know why.

• Angry 1

On 03/11/2021 at 11:43, YoungWillz said:

Sounds like it won't even get to the electorate. Looks like the vote in Parliament will not adhere to the recommendation.

Now we know why.

By-Election is on. He has just resigned from the commons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1