Sean

By -Election Bingo 2019-2024

38 minutes ago, TQR said:

The man’s always been an absolute toilet, very much in the neanderthal class with 30p Lee and Gullis and Clarke-Smith. This is the standard the Tories are at now.

With people like Gullis and Lee I imagine they try and moderate their language and pronouncements because they are MPs. If they didn't I can imagine them going full BNP

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad252 said:

Andrew Bridgen has had the whip suspended for covid vaccine misinformation, where he likened the programme to the Holocaust.

Conservative MP suspended over Covid vaccine comments - BBC News

Yeah, readily available for comment on television about the benefits of Brexit a while back but dispensible now to the point the Tories would likely welcome his demise. There are financial difficulties away from the commons including a fight over paying for a home owned by his family business (he isn't exactly popular with his family either). If he loses the accomodation battle he's bankrupt and automatically barred from being an MP so the whips are likely glad to distance themselves from him at the moment. Ironically, this might be one by-election even the Tories would welcome. 

Tweeting a graph from Zero Hedge, a libertarian and conspiracy theory website, which purported to show the health risks from Covid vaccines, Bridgen wrote: “As one consultant cardiologist said to me this is the biggest crime against humanity since the holocaust.”

From the Grauniad. 

What a complete arse. And exactly which 'consultant cardiologist' one wonders?

Actually I'm mildly suprised our resident "Casey Jones" isn't all over this. (though there's no fkn way I'm actually namechecking him here - surprised that he isn't doesn't equal wish he were).

• Like 1

My MP Margaret Ferrier facing a 30 day suspension recommended, which if approved (when approved really) will trigger a by-election.

Au revoir, ya bloody idiot.

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

My MP Margaret Ferrier facing a 30 day suspension recommended, which if approved (when approved really) will trigger a by-election.

Au revoir, ya bloody idiot.

Does it trigger a by-election automatically or a recall petition?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Does it trigger a by-election automatically or a recall petition?

I think if it's 10 days or more, it's off to the ballot boxes, but willing to be corrected.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I think if it's 10 days or more, it's off to the ballot boxes, but willing to be corrected.

No any suspension of over 10 days from the house results in the triggering of a recall petition which would need to be signed by 10% of the electorate to trigger a by-election

If she were canny (can't remember whether she still has the SNP whip or not) she would resign saying that she recognises her wrong doing and feels it can no longer justify her place in the house to put pressure on any future member of parliament who may be sanctioned in a similar manner in the coming months

This could be a high risk strategy for the SNP though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

No any suspension of over 10 days from the house results in the triggering of a recall petition which would need to be signed by 10% of the electorate to trigger a by-election

If she were canny (can't remember whether she still has the SNP whip or not) she would resign saying that she recognises her wrong doing and feels it can no longer justify her place in the house to put pressure on any future member of parliament who may be sanctioned in a similar manner in the coming months

This could be a high risk strategy for the SNP though

Has lost the whip, she sits as an independent at the moment and no chance she would be reselected by the SNP for the seat.

Recall would be a formality, Labour and the Tories can get enough local support for one.

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Has lost the whip, she sits as an independent at the moment and no chance she would be reselected by the SNP for the seat.

Recall would be a formality, Labour and the Tories can get enough local support for one.

She self referred her case to the Parliamentary standards committee so do you think she would cut her losses and resign or hope to tough out a recall petition which you seem to suggest would succeed? She could see it as a kick back at the SNP leadership if she felt wronged because that is not what they need right now (unless they could pull of a victory)

Whoever wins the seat will only have about a year until the General Election

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

She self referred her case to the Parliamentary standards committee so do you think she would cut her losses and resign or hope to tough out a recall petition which you seem to suggest would succeed? She could see it as a kick back at the SNP leadership if she felt wronged because that is not what they need right now (unless they could pull of a victory)

Whoever wins the seat will only have about a year until the General Election

She hasn't resigned yet. SNP might be quite glad to get someone in place to prove themselves, but it's a terrible swing seat which could easily go to Labour. Who knows?

• Like 3

Government now planning to hold "by-election drills" in preparation for a potentially high number of resignations:

• Like 1

On 22/05/2023 at 13:55, Brad252 said:

Government now planning to hold "by-election drills" in preparation for a potentially high number of resignations:

What actually happens in a by-election drill, do they tender for a leaflet drop for - say - some dodgy bunch who'll put new windows into your house and just develop the muscle memory to deliver election leaflets when the real thing kicks off?

2 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

What actually happens in a by-election drill, do they tender for a leaflet drop for - say - some dodgy bunch who'll put new windows into your house and just develop the muscle memory to deliver election leaflets when the real thing kicks off?

Firstly they need to find a candidate who is not a certifiable nut-job (judging by the 2019 intake this is harder than it sounds), secondly they have to scour said candidates social media profiles for any times they have dressed as Hitler, been photographed in blackface or suggesting that working class children should be sent down mines.

Then they have to draft leaflets and mind the smallest possible font that is actually legible to acknowledge that the candidate is actually a Conservative and not a sort of Green, Liberal or Monster Raving Loony that people would not be ashamed to vote for.

All this takes time

• Like 1

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

Firstly they need to find a candidate who is not a certifiable nut-job (judging by the 2019 intake this is harder than it sounds), secondly they have to scour said candidates social media profiles for any times they have dressed as Hitler, been photographed in blackface or suggesting that working class children should be sent down mines.

Then they have to draft leaflets and mind the smallest possible font that is actually legible to acknowledge that the candidate is actually a Conservative and not a sort of Green, Liberal or Monster Raving Loony that people would not be ashamed to vote for.

All this takes time

Aye, I was just being a tad ironic - bit bored with the day job which mainly involves doctoring old photographs on social media to make it look like public schoolboys are greeting a friend with a handslap whilst really they're dipping their todgers into the jaws of a dead pig!

By-election drills in full swing, or summat!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Just looked up the actual votes and my local MP (Con) voted against the implementation of the standards committee recommendation

So proud....

There have been suggestions that some Tory MPs who are desperate for Johnson to avoid a by-election are showing "support" for Ferrier so as to make it look like they're not showing double standards.

• Like 1

Thank bloody christ. One of the biggest clowns at long last ejecting herself from the circus. Mid Bedfordshire is an incredibly solid tory seat, but as we've seen with by-elections in the past that does not stop Lib Dem gains against unpopular conservative incumbents.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Katyusha said:

Thank bloody christ. One of the biggest clowns at long last ejecting herself from the circus. Mid Bedfordshire is an incredibly solid tory seat, but as we've seen with by-elections in the past that does not stop Lib Dem gains against unpopular conservative incumbents.

Labour are the challengers here. Still expected to be a Tory hold unless there is concerted tactical voting

• Like 1

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

Labour are the challengers here. Still expected to be a Tory hold unless there is concerted tactical voting

Tory hold definitely the most likely outcome, but who knows at this rate. I was wondering on what basis is this seat a Tory-Labour contest? Admittedly I'm quite far removed from the political action up here in West Yorkshire, but from my understanding with similar seats such as Chesham and Amersham, Tiverton and Honiton, North Shropshire etc. they're geographically large and rural southern communities put off from the conservative party by farther-right populist Tories. Unless there's something I'm missing, would that not also be the case here, knowing that national polls matter very little to such a midterm contest?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Katyusha said:

Tory hold definitely the most likely outcome, but who knows at this rate. I was wondering on what basis is this seat a Tory-Labour contest? Admittedly I'm quite far removed from the political action up here in West Yorkshire, but from my understanding with similar seats such as Chesham and Amersham, Tiverton and Honiton, North Shropshire etc. they're geographically large and rural southern communities put off from the conservative party by farther-right populist Tories. Unless there's something I'm missing, would that not also be the case here, knowing that national polls matter very little to such a midterm contest?

Screenshot 2023-06-09 161751.png

• Like 2