Deathray

Hares Death Pool 2020

Update! Thanks YoungWillz for doing this game as long as you have. Take care!

Edited by theoldlady
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 3

I'm afraid that won't be possible, thanks for the thought though!

I was only doing it as a favour, it's not my game and as I'm no longer playing, I'm not invested. I'm sure someone will be along to move this in due course. :)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I was only doing it as a favour, it's not my game and as I'm no longer playing, I'm not invested. I'm sure someone will be along to move this in due course. :)

I'm working on it. I let someone else explain the complicated situation here to YW / a recent post in the Hartlepool might help. 

15 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

OK, it is sad though since you always do an excellent job. You are missed. Take care! I will change my postings above. :(

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

Hmmm - I love this pool but I can't really be arsed to beg someone to do something voluntarily.

I would suggest it is not beyond the bounds of possibility for the entrants to update the score ourselves as we go along for this year and then maybe someone will launch a Tortoise Dead Pool for next year based on the original idea of the Hare's (giving appropriate credit where it is due for the original idea).

• Like 2

Just to keep things in control without actually updating scoreboard - deaths noted on here (there may be others) since last scoreboard update on June 19th for Ian Holm and points outstanding.

Bernardino Pinera 21st June - 172 points

Everton Weekes 1st July - 182 points

Hugh Downs - 1st July - 182 points

Ennio Morricone - 6th July - 187 points

Judy Dyble 12th July - 193 points

I don't think Carl Reiner or Jack Charlton were picks in this pool.

• Like 4

So I'm just doing team spot checks to set up a system to update this, a special shoutout to @Predictor whose pick of Slim Andrews is a DNS due to death - in 1992.

Comfortably beats the previous record held by Margere Hein of a DNS due to death in 2004ish for some royal I can't be arsed to look up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Okay then. I don't really have the time to host this full time and don't want to get into the situation where it never gets updated and it really would be a shame to see this die. 

@Grim Up North's suggestion of self-totting up is a good one to get us to the end of the year; this is a tool to make things a bit easier in that regard and hopefully make it easier for any new host who might want to step forward to take over from Willz. The only thing you need to do is key in the date of the persons pick* and their points total will be updated. (There's a back up before anybody thinks of playing silly buggers - but yes it's set to anyone can edit - if a dedicated host steps forward I'll change that to just them or they can copy the list into a new spreadsheet and edit it themselves). 

As far as I'm aware (some of the obscure names may have slipped through) it's up to date as of today. Cheers to GUM for above list of recent deaths. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WhLgw9Cpc8_SmTWCb9aioCeEeMUP_l6CKju97Txggco/edit?usp=sharing

*I've had a few issues where the *2 for a wildcard pick hasn't been removed where I thought it had whilst copying the table for the next player, so you might want to double check that as well, but it's an easy fix and should be few and far between at this point.

@CaptainChorizo leads on 979 points by my reckoning. 

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

any new host who might want to step forward to take over from Willz

I would have been more than happy to do this but it just doesn't work with the DDP commitment around end and start of the year. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

I would have been more than happy to do this but it just doesn't work with the DDP commitment around end and start of the year. Sorry.

Completely understandable. I quoted you in reference to the post you put up, wouldn't want to you to think I was insinuating you should take over (the DDP is more than enough for anyone to handle.)

I've done as much as I can to make it as easy as possible for someone to take over. If someone does great, if not that's life and there's a system in place for people to update their own scores via that sheet (although I'd strong recommend anyone doing this has a ctrl+F of their pick and adds the date of death in for others as a courtesy.) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

So I'm just doing team spot checks to set up a system to update this, a special shoutout to @Predictor whose pick of Slim Andrews is a DNS due to death - in 1992.

Comfortably beats the previous record held by Margere Hein of a DNS due to death in 2004ish for some royal I can't be arsed to look up.

Hmm. You'd think he would move on to the afterlife by now, rather than still performing here among us mortals as a ghost...:ghost3:

https://whisnews21.com/2016/06/19/slim-andrews-85-never-too-old-to-be-a-country-star/

Please double-check that the Slim Andrews I submitted is the musician born in 1931.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Andrews

Edit: You really think I'd be daft enough to believe that someone born in bloody 1906 was still alive in Dec 2019? :D

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0028852/

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Predictor said:

Edit: You really think I'd be daft enough to believe that someone born in bloody 1906 was still alive in Dec 2019? :D

As they say: Don’t ask a question if you really don’t want to hear the answer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Predictor said:

Hmm. You'd think he would move on to the afterlife by now, rather than still performing here among us mortals as a ghost...:ghost3:

https://whisnews21.com/2016/06/19/slim-andrews-85-never-too-old-to-be-a-country-star/

Please double-check that the Slim Andrews I submitted is the musician born in 1931.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Andrews

You wouldn't be the first or the last. I'll update the sheet when I'm near a PC. 

On 15/07/2020 at 10:04, Miracle Aligner said:

You wouldn't be the first or the last. I'll update the sheet when I'm near a PC. 

The inaccurate DNS claim has caused me a great deal of mental distress and anguish. As consolation, I request a bonus of 100 points minimum.

Spoiler

It's worth a shot. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Update for John Lewis, CaptainChorizo consolidates his lead, but it's early days hereabouts. 

CaptainChorizo (1177 points)

[Bernard Ebbers, Bernhard Pinera, Bob Weighton, Chitetsu Wantabe , Dennis Goldberg, Genesis P-Orridge, Hugh Downs, John Lewis, Johnny Harris, Roger Scruton, Terry Jones, Tom Belso]

JoeMoneyPenny (894 points)

[Everton Weekes, Genesis P-Orridge, Hau Pie-tsen, Manolis Glezos, Stanley Ho, Vera Lynn]

Grim Up North (853 points)

[Chris Doleman, Dennis Goldberg, Genesis P-Orridge, Howard Finkel, John Andretti, Judy Dyble, Kirk Douglas, Stirling Moss, Vera Lynn]

The Old Crem (819 points)

[Jill Gascoigne, John Lewis, Kirk Douglas, Nicholas Parsons, Stirling Moss, Vera Lynn]

JiromeonKiruma (807 points)

[Chitetsu Wantabe, Genesis P-Orridge, Joseph Hanneschlager, Judy Dyble, Michael Gauthier, John Lewis, Steve Blackmore]

Joey Russ (765 points)

[Chitetsu Wantabe, Daniel Arap Moi, Genesis P-Orridge, Jill Gascoigne, Kirk Douglas, Little Richard, Roger Scruton, Stirling Moss, Terry Jones, Vera Lynn)

Toast (736 points)

[Ian Holm, Judy Dyble, Michael Medwin, Pearl Carr, Stirling Moss, Vera Lynn]

Sean (694 points)

[Everton Weekes, Javier Perez de Cuellar, John Lewis, Kirk Douglas, Nicholas Parsons, Terry Jones, Vera Lynn]

msc (657 points)

[Earl Cameron, Freeman Dyson, Kirk Douglas, Nicholas Parsons, Vera Lynn, William Frankland]

The Quim Reaper (608 points)

[Javier Perez de Cuellar, Kirk Douglas, Little Richard, Nicholas Parsons, Stirling Moss, Terry Jones, Vera Lynn]

The Unknown Man (583 points)

[Chris Doleman, Daniel Arap Moi, Everton Weekes, Genesis P-Orridge, Javier Perez de Cuellar, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Sam Lloyd, Terry Jones]

Death Impends (573  points)

[Diana Sera Carey, Earl Cameron, Javier Perez de Cuellar, Mad Mike Hoare, Pearl Carr, Stirling Moss, William Frankland]

YorkshireBanker (566 poits)

[Bobby Brown (rangers), Daniel Arap Moi, Freeman Dyson, Henry Gray, Johnny Beattie, Katherine Johnson, Vera Lynn]

The Mad Hatter (548 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, Genesis P-Orridge, Ian Holm, Jimmy Heath, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Little Richard, Roger Scruton, Terry Jones]

Sir Creep (547 points)

[Balbir Singh Sr, Daniel Arap Moi, Deanne Sutherland, Henry Gray, Ignatio Trelles, Jay Allen, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Henri Richard]

An Fear Bag (535 points)

[Bob Weighton, Chris Doleman, Daniel Arap Moi, Genesis P-Orridge, John Lewis, Kirk Douglas, Terry Jones]

Torva Messor (513 points)

[Diana Sera Carey, Genesis P-Orridge, Hugh Downs, Kirk Douglas, Vera Lynn]

Banana (497 points)

[Chris Doleman, Greg Lewis, Henri Richard, John Lewis, Joseph Hanneschlager, Steve Blackmore, Terry Jones]

RadGuy (481 points)

[John Andretti, Michael Robinson, Nanci Ryder, Sam Lloyd, Terry Jones, Tom Long]

theoldlady (468 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, Ennio Morricone, Henry Gray, Javier Perez de Cuellar, Kirk Douglas, Stirling Moss]

drol (445 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, Dennis Goldberg, Genesis P-Orridge, John Andretti, Majek Fashek, Qaboos of Oman, Roger Scruton, Shin-Kyuk-ho]

Wormfarmer (386 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, David Stern, Genesis P-Orridge, Kirk Douglas, Majek Fashek, William Frankland]

YoungWillz (382 points)

[Earl Cameron, Nicholas Parsons, Philip Latham]

Prophet (370 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Roger Scruton, Vera Lynn, William Frankland] 

LizLemon (364 points)

[Jerry Stiller, Kirk Douglas, John Lewis]

the_engineer (340 points)

[Chris Doleman, Dennis Goldberg, Jill Gascoigne, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Roger Scuton]

Great Uncle Bulgaria (340 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, Kirk Douglas, Stirling Moss, Vera Lynn]

Skinny Kiltrunner (322 points)

[Bernard Ebbers, Bob Watson, Chris Doleman, John Andretti, Nobuhiko Obayashi]

Nantonian2013 (322 points)

[Everton Weekes, Little Richard, Roger Scruton]

markb4 (309 points)

[Christopher Tolkein, Javier Perez de Cuellar, Kirk Douglas, Nicholas Parsons, Vera Lynn]

Whoaml (306 points)

[Jean Kennedy Smith, Katherine Johnson, Kirk Douglas]

gcreptile (304 points)

[Bob Joers, Danny Oosthuizen, John Jhairo Valezquez, Karen Simpson, Peter Bonetti, Todd Portune]

GraveDanger (297 points)

[Chris Doleman, Genesis P-Orridge, Jill Gascoigne, John Andretti]

Book (259 points)

[Hannelore Minkus, Michel Picolli, Sonja Ziemann]

Etushispushingupdaises (225 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, Genesis P-Orridge, Jay Allen, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Roger Scruton, Terry Jones]

John Key (220 points)

[Chris Doleman, Genesis P-Orridge, Henry Gray, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Qaboos of Oman]

Pedro67 (217 points)

[Kirk Douglas, Nanci Ryder, Terry Jones]

Predictor (213 points)

[Ben Cooper, Joey Image, Kevin Thompson]

Etib80 (204 points)

[Kirk Douglas, Vera Lynn]

FixedBussiness (142 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, Genesis P-Orridge, Kirk Douglas]

Clorox Bleachman (113 points)

[Chitetsu Wantabe, Irene Sinclair,  John Andretti Thuy Thuanh Trong]

Bibliogryphon 0 points

Deathray 0 points

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Oh, I just learned that my pick Hannelore Minkus, a German actress and voice over actress, has died in March 2020. Really didn't noticed that :(

And Sonja Ziemann is missing, but I think that her points are included. Thank you.

Edit: Sorry, my bad maths :D

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Book said:

Oh, I just learned that my pick Hannelore Minkus, a German actress and voice over actress, has died in March 2020. Really didn't noticed that :(

And Sonja Ziemann is missing, but I think that her points are included. Thank you.

They weren't; moves you up a few spots. 

• Thanks 1

JiromeonKimura had Lone Dybkjaer for 201 points. Moves him up to 2nd and 1 hit from 1st. 

[Bernard Ebbers, Bernhard Pinera, Bob Weighton, Chitetsu Wantabe , Dennis Goldberg, Genesis P-Orridge, Hugh Downs, John Lewis, Johnny Harris, Roger Scruton, Terry Jones, Tom Belso]

JiromeonKiruma (1008 points)

[Chitetsu Wantabe, Genesis P-Orridge, Joseph Hanneschlager, Judy Dyble, Michael Gauthier, John Lewis,  Lone Dybkjaer Steve Blackmore]

[Everton Weekes, Genesis P-Orridge, Hau Pie-tsen, Manolis Glezos, Stanley Ho, Vera Lynn]

Grim Up North (853 points)

[Chris Doleman, Dennis Goldberg, Genesis P-Orridge, Howard Finkel, John Andretti, Judy Dyble, Kirk Douglas, Stirling Moss, Vera Lynn]

[Jill Gascoigne, John Lewis, Kirk Douglas, Nicholas Parsons, Stirling Moss, Vera Lynn]

Joey Russ (765 points)

[Chitetsu Wantabe, Daniel Arap Moi, Genesis P-Orridge, Jill Gascoigne, Kirk Douglas, Little Richard, Roger Scruton, Stirling Moss, Terry Jones, Vera Lynn)

Toast (736 points)

Sean (694 points)

[Everton Weekes, Javier Perez de Cuellar, John Lewis, Kirk Douglas, Nicholas Parsons, Terry Jones, Vera Lynn]

msc (657 points)

[Earl Cameron, Freeman Dyson, Kirk Douglas, Nicholas Parsons, Vera Lynn, William Frankland]

[Javier Perez de Cuellar, Kirk Douglas, Little Richard, Nicholas Parsons, Stirling Moss, Terry Jones, Vera Lynn]

[Chris Doleman, Daniel Arap Moi, Everton Weekes, Genesis P-Orridge, Javier Perez de Cuellar, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Sam Lloyd, Terry Jones]

[Diana Sera Carey, Earl Cameron, Javier Perez de Cuellar, Mad Mike Hoare, Pearl Carr, Stirling Moss, William Frankland]

[Bobby Brown (rangers), Daniel Arap Moi, Freeman Dyson, Henry Gray, Johnny Beattie, Katherine Johnson, Vera Lynn]

[Daniel Arap Moi, Genesis P-Orridge, Ian Holm, Jimmy Heath, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Little Richard, Roger Scruton, Terry Jones]

Sir Creep (547 points)

[Balbir Singh Sr, Daniel Arap Moi, Deanne Sutherland, Henry Gray, Ignatio Trelles, Jay Allen, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Henri Richard]

An Fear Bag (535 points)

[Bob Weighton, Chris Doleman, Daniel Arap Moi, Genesis P-Orridge, John Lewis, Kirk Douglas, Terry Jones]

Banana (497 points)

[Chris Doleman, Greg Lewis, Henri Richard, John Lewis, Joseph Hanneschlager, Steve Blackmore, Terry Jones]

RadGuy (481 points)

[John Andretti, Michael Robinson, Nanci Ryder, Sam Lloyd, Terry Jones, Tom Long]

theoldlady (468 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, Ennio Morricone, Henry Gray, Javier Perez de Cuellar, Kirk Douglas, Stirling Moss]

drol (445 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, Dennis Goldberg, Genesis P-Orridge, John Andretti, Majek Fashek, Qaboos of Oman, Roger Scruton, Shin-Kyuk-ho]

Wormfarmer (386 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, David Stern, Genesis P-Orridge, Kirk Douglas, Majek Fashek, William Frankland]

YoungWillz (382 points)

Prophet (370 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Roger Scruton, Vera Lynn, William Frankland] 

LizLemon (364 points)

[Chris Doleman, Dennis Goldberg, Jill Gascoigne, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Roger Scuton]

markb4 (309 points)

[Christopher Tolkein, Javier Perez de Cuellar, Kirk Douglas, Nicholas Parsons, Vera Lynn]

Whoaml (306 points)

gcreptile (304 points)

[Bob Joers, Danny Oosthuizen, John Jhairo Valezquez, Karen Simpson, Peter Bonetti, Todd Portune]

GraveDanger (297 points)

Book (259 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, Genesis P-Orridge, Jay Allen, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Roger Scruton, Terry Jones]

John Key (220 points)

[Chris Doleman, Genesis P-Orridge, Henry Gray, John Andretti, Kirk Douglas, Qaboos of Oman]

Pedro67 (217 points)

Predictor (213 points)

Etib80 (204 points)

FixedBussiness (142 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, Genesis P-Orridge, Kirk Douglas]

Clorox Bleachman (113 points)

[Chitetsu Wantabe, Irene Sinclair,  John Andretti Thuy Thuanh Trong]

Bibliogryphon 0 points

Deathray 0 points

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miracle Aligner said:

JiromeonKimura had Lone Dybkjaer for 201 points. Moves him up to 2nd and 1 hit from 1st. 

Loving the regular updates :clap:

• Thanks 2

Updated for David Hagen a former Rangers footballer from Scotland who has lost his battle with motor neuron disease at the age of 47.

Grim Up North (1059 points)

JiromeonKiruma (1008 points)

[Chitetsu Wantabe, Genesis P-Orridge, Joseph Hanneschlager, Judy Dyble, Michael Gauthier, John Lewis,  Lone Dybkjaer Steve Blackmore]

An Fear Bag (945 points)

[Bob Weighton, Chris Doleman, Daniel Arap Moi, David Hagen, Genesis P-Orridge, John Lewis, Kirk Douglas, Terry Jones]

Joey Russ (765 points)

Toast (736 points)

Sean (694 points)

msc (657 points)

drol (651 points)

[Daniel Arap Moi, David Hagen, Dennis Goldberg, Genesis P-Orridge, John Andretti, Majek Fashek, Qaboos of Oman, Roger Scruton, Shin-Kyuk-ho]

Sir Creep (547 points)

Banana (497 points)

RadGuy (481 points)

theoldlady (468 points)

Wormfarmer (386 points)

YoungWillz (382 points)

Prophet (370 points)

LizLemon (364 points)

Clorox Bleachman (319 points)

[Chitetsu Wantabe, David Hagen, Irene Sinclair,  John Andretti Thuy Thuanh Trong]

markb4 (309 points)

Whoaml (306 points)

gcreptile (304 points)

GraveDanger (297 points)

Book (259 points)

John Key (220 points)

Pedro67 (217 points)

Predictor (213 points)

Etib80 (204 points)

FixedBussiness (142 points)[Daniel Arap Moi, Genesis P-Orridge, Kirk Douglas]

Bibliogryphon 0 points

Deathray 0 points

• Shocked 1

Who did Biblio and Deathray pick? Lionel Messi and Rita Ora?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Who did Biblio and Deathray pick? Lionel Messi and Rita Ora?

Those sort of teams fully of people who are more old than known to be ill, I'd be amazed if both of these teams got to December without at least 1 hit, but they won't be challenging for titles. It's worth noting one of these submitted before every other team at the end of November/beginning of December. The other has no excuses....

1. Alan Alda (screenwriter and actor)

2. Arthur Scargill

3. The Amazing Johnathan (comedian/magician)

4. Barbara Knox

5. Bill Stevenson (Descendents drummer)

6. Billy Connolly

7. Clarrissa Eden (is she even still alive?)

8. Dennis Skinner

9. Dr Peter B Scott Morgan (worlds first 'full cyborg')

10. Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest)

11. James Church (Charlotte Church's step-dad)

12. Jim Boheim (US College Basketball Coach) [WILDCARD]

13. Jimmy Carter (US President)

14. June Brown

15. Kieth Richards

16. Michael Heseltine

17. Ozzy Osbourne (walking corpse)

18. Peter McCleave (terminally ill former ironman competitor)

19. Prince Philip

20. Prunella Scales

21. Ray Kennedy (footballer - arsenal)

22. Richie Kavanaugh (Irish entertainer)

23. Ron Hogg (terminally ill Police Commissioner and right to life campaigner)

24. T Boz (singer)

25. William Roache

26. Illr Meta (Albanian politician) (sub for Ron Hogg)

Subs: Illr Meta (Albanian president), Ray Reardon, David Blunkett, Carrie Simmonds. DNS Due to Death

• Bibliogryphon

1. C W McCall

2. Clifford Rose

3. Clive Barker

4. Gina Lollabrigida

5. Erich von Daniken

6. Henry Blofeld

7. Herbert Kretzmer

8. Joanne Woodward

9. John Astin

10. John Wakeham

11. Judith Durham

12. Leslie Caron

13. Murray Walker

14. Pat Carroll

15. Patricia Routledge

16. Pete Murray

17. Peter J Hammond

18. Shirley Williams

19. Sonia Gandhi

20. Sylvia Simms

21. Teddie Chinnery

22. Tom Lehrer

23. William F Nolan

24. William Russell

25. Yuri Oganessian (WILDCARD) (nuclier scientist - in case you were wondering ?)

At least they're (mostly) people I've heard of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah right, I was confused as I'd just picked old folk and law of averages kicks in now and again. If Joanne Woodward sees 2021 I can only assume Biblio has the gift of life!

• Haha 1