grobler

Glenda Jackson

If anyone hasn't yet checked out "Elizabeth is Missing " (available on BBC iPlayer) , this is a wonderful insight into Alzheimers . 2020 BAFTA gong assured for Glenda. 

Now I know she was acting.....and she is "only" 83....but she gives such a convincing performance that you have to wonder...?

Anyway...a few players pick her every year.....and it may well be worth keeping an eye out when she collects the gong on Feb 2nd ?

• Like 2

Does she still smoke?She has the face and voice of a chain-smoker.

She certainly looks older than 83

glenda-jackson-as-king-lear-in-william-shakespears-king-news-photo-621170856-1552925666.jpg

As someone who has won on a trivia game show on U.S. television and as someone who loves the Academy Awards and trivia relating to that, I can honestly tell you all that I have never heard of this person, and she's won two Oscars for Best Actress.  Not just one, but two!  She just totally slipped through the cracks, for some reason.  I went through the list of multiple Best Actress Oscar winners (there are 14), and the only other one I had never heard of was Luise Rainer.  Since Rainer won her awards in 1936 and 1937, I suppose that's understandable.  But strange that I never encountered reading anything in print or seeing/hearing anything in the media that would've put her existence into my memory.  

You need to check her out MrW.

Brilliant actress...dodgy politics. Clearly never bothered with plastic surgery when the facial lines started to appear , so certainly looks older than she actually is. Its her performance in "Elizabeth is Missing" that is most relevant though. Can you get to see that in the States?

54 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

As someone who has won on a trivia game show on U.S. television and as someone who loves the Academy Awards and trivia relating to that, I can honestly tell you all that I have never heard of this person, and she's won two Oscars for Best Actress.  Not just one, but two!  She just totally slipped through the cracks, for some reason.  I went through the list of multiple Best Actress Oscar winners (there are 14), and the only other one I had never heard of was Luise Rainer.  Since Rainer won her awards in 1936 and 1937, I suppose that's understandable.  But strange that I never encountered reading anything in print or seeing/hearing anything in the media that would've put her existence into my memory.  

She retired from acting over 25 years ago and began a political career as an MP.   So it doesn't surprise me that, as an American, you're unfamiliar with her.   But she is a household name in the UK among those old enough to remember her acting career, and it looks as though she has lost none of her brilliance. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MrWonderful said:

Here she is in one of her Oscar winning performances as Cleopatra in a play what Ernie wrote.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are a very naughty cat.

IEg3l4I.jpg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Here she is in one of her Oscar winning performances as Cleopatra in a play what Ernie wrote.

Not what I was expecting but that was a fun watch, thanks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Happy 84th Birthday to Fag Ash Glenda for yesterday. :party:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Amusing story from her son.

Her recent turn as King Lear should give her some comebacks on that little git.

The one about the serpent's tooth springs to mind

• Like 1

On 14/12/2019 at 20:02, Cat O'Falk said:

Seeing this reminded me of a post I made  nearly 13 years ago:

If only Tony Benn had shown the same concern for his offspring...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Hard to believe this fucknugget is her son

On 11/12/2019 at 16:55, grobler said:

If anyone hasn't yet checked out "Elizabeth is Missing " (available on BBC iPlayer) , this is a wonderful insight into Alzheimers . 2020 BAFTA gong assured for Glenda. 

Now I know she was acting.....and she is "only" 83....but she gives such a convincing performance that you have to wonder...?

Anyway...a few players pick her every year.....and it may well be worth keeping an eye out when she collects the gong on Feb 2nd ?

A well deserved victory for Glenda.

• Like 4

Just saw a brief clip on the BFI Instagram of an appearance by Glenda. Walks across the stage to her chair with a stick but appears otherwise fine.

Screenshot_20220706-114045_Instagram.jpg

On 06/07/2022 at 11:46, prussianblue said:

Just saw a brief clip on the BFI Instagram of an appearance by Glenda. Walks across the stage to her chair with a stick but appears otherwise fine.

Screenshot_20220706-114045_Instagram.jpg

There's a 30  minute interview with Glenda Jackson airing tonight on BBC4, 9pm, conducted by John Wilson, as was this BFI event. There was also an interview by Wilson on Radio 4 which aired on Saturday and gets a repeat broadcast this afternoon (2:15).

Elizabeth is Missing follows at 9:30.

Did a ten minute introduction to a repeat of "Elizabeth R" on BBC Four last night, looked rather rough but seemed as sharp as ever.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Dead

It is now on Sky News on the main breaking news feed

• Like 1